xF's Stance On Trading/Selling Licenses

Doh

I'm just curious as to what XenForo's stance is on selling and trading XenForo's licenses. Is it allowed? Is it it discouraged? Whats the story?

They probably will. But that's too far into the future to think about atm. Core product development is first and foremost on their minds.

It's already in the license agreement under "Rights"

The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party ("Subsequent Licensee") not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.

'The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.'

does this mean that that licenses purchased from a third party are non-transferable?
if so, this impacts a second-hand licenses value negatively...

'The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.'

does this mean that that licenses purchased from a third party are non-transferable?

That's how I understood that line in the EULA when I read it.

Good catch. That's rather interesting, in a not-so-good way. :confused:

Why is that not-so-good? It discourages multiple transfers of a license.
Exactly. What's so wrong with multiple transfers?
such a policy would have the effect of diminishing a licenses resale value, which could be seen as 'not good'.
why would multiple transfers of a license be a bad thing for the consumer?
Even further, how could it be a bad thing for any reasonable company?

I understand the why .. which is a valid point to the xF developers but :
Let say I own more than one license ... and If I decide to sell the site I can't just hand over my account since it's tied to other licenses as well ... Hmmmm .... catch 22

Keep any license you've bought 2nd hand in a separate account.

That way you're main licenses you've purchased first hand you'll be able to transfer out. The second hand accounts you can just sell the account.

I always thought the 120 days was to discourage transfer fraud. Charge backs following transfers can be a big problem. In that sense the restriction protects potential second hand license buyers. As for the "no third hand transfer" thing... I can testify to the fact that repeated transfers can get really messy from a record keeping and enforcement perspective. Plus the risk of fraud and piracy goes up.

I am just guessing as to the reasons for the transfer policy. I think the restrictions make sense. In fact, restrictions like these are not uncommon for electronically distributed software like xenForo.

Top Bottom