xF's Stance On Trading/Selling Licenses

Doh

I'm just curious as to what XenForo's stance is on selling and trading XenForo's licenses. Is it allowed? Is it it discouraged? Whats the story?

Being able to transfer a license once is the same policy that vBulletin has and currently IPB doesn't do transfers. You have to sell you entire account, apps, IPB and all.

I don't think this policy is a back one.. 120 days is a good time to prevent fraud and being able to sell a license once in it's 'lifetime' isn't a bad thing at all either.

In this case, XenForo needs to stick with the current policy as it's fair and reasonable in my opinion.

Jamie

Though I understand why people are unhappy about the single transfer limit, and I agree with the people who say it devalues the second hand market.

But the thing is that multiple transfers of a licence devalues the value of new licences if you ask me this is a very smart business

Though I understand why people are unhappy about the single transfer limit, and I agree with the people who say it devalues the second hand market.

But the thing is that multiple transfers of a licence devalues the value of new licences if you ask me this is a very smart business

You are correct and I agree with you.. XenForo was created as a business, a way to make money.. I am sure Kier, Mike and Ashley didn't start it just to create a the war they have with vB or any other platform.. they saw it was a way to create something the community would and could use AND make a living while doing it.

At some point, one has to stop and think from their view and allowing a license to be transferred once is fair..

They have to make money in order to continue to push the product further.. and if a license could continue to be transferred over and over again not only does this create an accounting nightmare, but it takes away from the profits down the road.

Jamie

You are correct and I agree with you.. XenForo was created as a business, a way to make money.. I am sure Kier, Mike and Ashley didn't start it just to create a the war they have with vB or any other platform.. they saw it was a way to create something the community would and could use AND make a living while doing it.

At some point, one has to stop and think from their view and allowing a license to be transferred once is fair..

They have to make money in order to continue to push the product further.. and if a license could continue to be transferred over and over again not only does this create an accounting nightmare, but it takes away from the profits down the road.

Jamie

Yes... we make money when they make money ... and this is what I do: develop, promote .. then sell.... like probably half of this audience :D (hmm maybe less :D)
I can hardly see myself developing, and maturing a site before 120 days BUT in rare cases I do receive good offers the same week I launch the site .... in that case what do I do? I know these are very very rare cases (but nonetheless it's considered a bug in coding terms :D )

Perhaps a license can be transfered but not the domain attached to it? Just a suggestion

I can hardly see myself developing, and maturing a site before 120 days BUT in rare cases I do receive good offers the same week I launch the site .... in that case what do I do?

If you haven't transferred the license before, you could transfer it to the new site owner. If the license has been transferred, then you would need to work the deal where the new owner understands he/she will need to buy a xF license to continue to run to the site like you have it set up. Having this "once transfer" option in the license shouldn't stop anyone from buying or selling a site.. it will just require more thought and a way to 'work the deal'.

Jamie

If you haven't transferred the license before, you could transfer it to the new site owner. If the license has been transferred, then you would need to work the deal where the new owner understands he/she will need to buy a xF license to continue to run to the site like you have it set up. Having this "once transfer" option in the license shouldn't stop anyone from buying or selling a site.. it will just require more thought and a way to 'work the deal'.

Jamie

I'm just throwing this hypothetical scenario to bring it to the attention of the Xen folks ...
Your solution makes it harder on the seller to negotiate a deal.
My suggestion is :
If the license is less than 120 days the transfer will be possible only if the domain remain attached to that license, and the new owner cannot switch the domain name attached to said license for another 120 days.

This is a suggestion ... of course my suggestion could contain bugs that I am not seeing right now :D

Top Bottom