1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xF's Stance On Trading/Selling Licenses

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by shadow82x, Oct 11, 2010.

1. shadow82x

shadow82x Member

I'm just curious as to what XenForo's stance is on selling and trading XenForo's licenses. Is it allowed? Is it it discouraged? Whats the story?
  2. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

I heard you have to wait 120 days to sell a license. I didn't care enough to confirm...
  3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

It is my hope that in the future, they have some sort of license-transfer policy (allowing it, of course) or automated system.
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

They probably will. But that's too far into the future to think about atm. Core product development is first and foremost on their minds.
  5. David McHenry

David McHenry Active Member

It's already in the license agreement under "Rights"

Jonathan likes this.
  6. jadmperry

jadmperry Well-Known Member

7. shadow82x

shadow82x Member

120 days??? Why is that. Don't know of other softwares that do that.
  8. Brentnauer

Brentnauer Well-Known Member

Yeah, the 120 day thing is curious. You'd be a creeper to want to sell your license though anyways.
    a legacy reborn and Peggy like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Who cares what other companies do? Who buys a license with the intention of selling it anyways?
    Darkimmortal and Peggy like this.
  10. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Right, most other software have a 90 policy. It's only 30 days more. Not a big deal.
  11. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

'The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.'

does this mean that that licenses purchased from a third party are non-transferable?
    if so, this impacts a second-hand licenses value negatively...
  12. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

i think the 120 day limit was largely set to discourage people from bulk purchasing the licenses on the launch day at USD 100 per license.
  13. tickedon

tickedon Active Member

That's how I understood that line in the EULA when I read it.
  14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Good catch. That's rather interesting, in a not-so-good way. :confused:
  15. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Why is that not-so-good? It discourages multiple transfers of a license.
  16. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

such a policy would have the effect of diminishing a licenses resale value, which could be seen as 'not good'.
    why would multiple transfers of a license be a bad thing for the consumer?
    Nick likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Exactly. What's so wrong with multiple transfers?
    Even further, how could it be a bad thing for any reasonable company?
    Xon and Enigma like this.
  18. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

I understand the why .. which is a valid point to the xF developers but :
    Let say I own more than one license ... and If I decide to sell the site I can't just hand over my account since it's tied to other licenses as well ... Hmmmm .... catch 22
  19. David McHenry

David McHenry Active Member

Keep any license you've bought 2nd hand in a separate account.

That way you're main licenses you've purchased first hand you'll be able to transfer out. The second hand accounts you can just sell the account.
  20. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I always thought the 120 days was to discourage transfer fraud. Charge backs following transfers can be a big problem. In that sense the restriction protects potential second hand license buyers. As for the "no third hand transfer" thing... I can testify to the fact that repeated transfers can get really messy from a record keeping and enforcement perspective. Plus the risk of fraud and piracy goes up.

I am just guessing as to the reasons for the transfer policy. I think the restrictions make sense. In fact, restrictions like these are not uncommon for electronically distributed software like xenForo.
    Blandt likes this.