XF2 [8WR] XenPorta 2 (Portal) PRO

XF2 [8WR] XenPorta 2 (Portal) PRO [Paid] 2.2.0.7

No permission to buy ($40.00)
One question, this extension is installed in the root of the xenforo forum?
And what is better, to have myweb.com or myweb.com/forum ? And the XenForo installed in the folder /forum
Thanks!

Hello,

after installing the add-on, watch the videos explanatory, set permissions, I still do not understand how to put a subject already present on my forum to xenporta

The home page remains empty

I have a feature suggestion that I think most people will appreciate. Add a custom feed to the homepage (articles homepage) where only articles are shown in the rss, not the entire forum as it is now. I don't know what's your future priority for features @Jaxel but I for one I'd greatly appreciate this one :)

Hey if anyone don't mind helping me for a bit
so with this addon i have installed it and had done with nearly everything, only thing i am having issues with
is how do i take out mysite.com/ewr-porta/ i can't seem to figure out how to removed the ewr-porta/
Any idea? greatly appreciated

Hey if anyone don't mind helping me for a bit
so with this addon i have installed it and had done with nearly everything, only thing i am having issues with
is how do i take out mysite.com/ewr-porta/ i can't seem to figure out how to removed the ewr-porta/
Any idea? greatly appreciated
Use a route filter to replace ewr-portal to whatever you want it to be.

Feature suggestion: Support for Rich Cards & AMP with structured data. So being able to mark your articles in XenPorta, as articles, so they appear as such in Google Search:
mars-amp-mobile.png

I kinda get your point. But, I disagree. Jaxel had to spend time to update/recode the add-on so it will work with XF 2.x. That work should be compensated. If vendors don't get paid, what is their motivation for spending the time to learn how to make add-ons for XF 2.x or any other major upgrade. It is fairly apparent that people need to get compensated for their work. I have no problem with the new version requiring a fee. (Maybe a debatable point whether there should be a slight discount or credit for folks who bought the XF 1.x version. However, I can also see the point that if I eat a restaurant once, enjoy the meal and come back, I don't get an automatic discount because I came back).

I think it is better to err on the side of supporting the good service providers. (My question and concern with branding free is that that issue does not require additional work and, in my view, should be viewed as a continuation of the previously purchased "rights.")

You might disagree and that is fine.
I have not yet read the entire thread , however this is A key CONCERN FOR ME. As a means to support the new platform I purchased a xen lic. on the first release and have maintained it for what like 8 years , while during that period I have only used it and add ons in a litterbox form until I felt my users would follow from vb. Likewise In support of 8way run and a few other high quality addon developers, I paid for the lifetime licence while not yet even using it in other than experimental mode. NOW I am looking at going ahead and converting my my primary site as things have matured . But then I see that, apparently the addition of a 2.0 on the software has nullified any obligations from developers to carry over the "lifetime" plug in. Please confirm because what i have read here is giving me that same queasy in the gut feeling as i got when i purchased vb 3.8 a month prior to the 4.0 release and found the update model changes that required me to pay again for the product.

Jaxel obviously has to be polite but I imagine it's incredibly frustrating to have the (hundreds of) hours of work he's put into XP being values at practically nothing.

We bought XenPorta for XF2 (after having years of use of the XF1 version for free!) and to be honest, I doubt we'll even use it and a simple Page should meet our needs this time.. The problem as always is that XF itself is far too cheap so puts an unrealistic ceiling on what addons can charge. Stuff from @Jaxel, @Bob, etc easily are $100+ in terms of value but people complain about paying tiny amounts for them.
THIS IS the exacT ARGUMENT THAT CAUSED ME TO PAY MONEY PREVIOUSLY TO SUPPORT 8wayrun , how long will it be before we have to buy it again? xen 3.0 next month a year 5 yeaers .......... Its not that i don't want to support a developer I just don't want to pay every time it needs to be maintained.

I have not yet read the entire thread , however this is A key CONCERN FOR ME. As a means to support the new platform I purchased a xen lic. on the first release and have maintained it for what like 8 years , while during that period I have only used it and add ons in a litterbox form until I felt my users would follow from vb. Likewise In support of 8way run and a few other high quality addon developers, I paid for the lifetime licence while not yet even using it in other than experimental mode. NOW I am looking at going ahead and converting my my primary site as things have matured . But then I see that, apparently the addition of a 2.0 on the software has nullified any obligations from developers to carry over the "lifetime" plug in. Please confirm because what i have read here is giving me that same queasy in the gut feeling as i got when i purchased vb 3.8 a month prior to the 4.0 release and found the update model changes that required me to pay again for the product.
XF2 is a huge time investment to update add-ons for, especially for larger add-ons...

Many developers who release software do one-time fees for major versions of the software (1.x.x, 2.x.x, 3.x.x) and then charge either an upgrade fee or require the next version to be purchased outright. Considering that most application developers will normally charge a support renewal fee of $10-20 for a $40 add-on, you're essentially breaking even. He is also transferring the copyright removal so you're not having to purchase that again.

The trend for the larger/older/professional add-on developers seems to be if it has a renewal cost, you will get the XF2 version free (with some exceptions for add-ons that require a complete rewrite and are essentially new add-ons) and add-ons without a renewal will require you to purchase the newly developed version.

You can always choose to not purchase the add-on, and use an alternative.

I was actually contemplating raising all my prices... I see all these addons being sold for $20, and they are essentially just 30 lines of code... my addons are millions of lines of code, and I only charge $40... But I decided not to... because of Trump.
Take into consideration that he doesn't charge a yearly maintenance fee for any of his addons. so if you think of it that way, this is the same as buying a $20 addon with $10 renewal and after 3 years it's free. compare this addon complexity to others that are $40 with a $20 renewal, or $20/$10.
ecided not to... because of Trump.
Considering he doesn't take a renewal price, 40$ is a fair price. So I had no problem paying for the upgrade. It's a well made addon.
Well I paid $40 April 2015 , last update was emailed to me April 2017, and here it is nearing April 2018 and i need to pay another 40.00 to use the same add on on the same software platform.(that cost $40 a year) I'm gonna look at alternatives, and decide if this has any value to me, I would be thrilled to pay additional if the product had new function, like porting my vb 4.2 CMS over. IG I think I saw where post ratings has developed a way to port Dragon bytes and i will happily pay extra before I leave VB . I have no issue paying for an add on I just dont think this is something new , Otherwise I would see an update of the old one to remain concurrent with the primary software it is added to and licensed for life.

Hello,

This is my first installation, I love it so far!

But I dont get the Categories to work (don't know how), And how do I ad an author?

Also use the auto-promote forum, but it doesn't promote any topics when its being made? I don't have the time to ad it manually every day.

Please advise or a lint to a yt moie, where you explain stuff.. Not the movie where you allready have some categories and authors in place.. But a clean install..

I didn't have this add-on on my XF1 so I need some more info then the upgrade talk..

Thank you
Regards
Jan

Hello,

This is my first installation, I love it so far!

But I dont get the Categories to work (don't know how), And how do I ad an author?

Also use the auto-promote forum, but it doesn't promote any topics when its being made? I don't have the time to ad it manually every day.

Please advise or a lint to a yt moie, where you explain stuff.. Not the movie where you allready have some categories and authors in place.. But a clean install..

I didn't have this add-on on my XF1 so I need some more info then the upgrade talk..

Thank you
Regards
Jan

Add Categories and author in the ACP : admin.php?ewr-porta/

Auto-promote you need to tick the forum categories in the ACP : admin.php?options/groups/EWRporta/ then when you make a topic in that forum it should be auto ticked and auto promote on submitting the thread.

Ok thank you. that first one.. I did not noticed the [+ add box] stupid.. so sorry.

But for the second one. I ticked al my forums with ctrl, tested bij making some topics in that forums..l But they did not got promoted to the front page as an article.. Maybe there are some rules?

OK I get it.. Auto promote only works for authors?
But what when I like all topics from everbody shows up at the portal page? Is jt possible?

Regards
Jan

Last edited:
Top Bottom