XF2.3 feedback and comments

The Featured Content slider on top of https://xenforo.com/community/whats-new/ is really annoying ...

What I click What's New I want to set what is new, not content I've see a dozen times already.
This is especially annoying on mobile as takes up almost the full screen (and it looks somewaht broken):
1701390030624.webp

The dark style is somewhat hard to read (at least for me as I have a color vision impairment).
For example it is almost impossible for me to distinguish Unread (bold) & and Read (non-bold) threads without hardly looking at the screen for a long time.

1701390486082.webp
IMHO another color instead of the blue would be better.

Performance for article forums still doesn't seem to be great :(
1701391131072.webp

Last edited:
The dark style is somewhat hard to read (at least for me as I have a color vision impairment).
That's the thing about vision impairments, they vary significantly, so there's no one size fits all colour scheme. I therefore think it would be a great idea for a few colour-impaired friendly themes to come with XF out of the box to aid accessibility. It's a similar idea to the accessibility settings in Windows such as high contrast etc.

In my case, I have poor vision (short sighted), but colour works fine for me, so I'd benefit from a slightly bigger default font. While glasses help greatly, it's a constant battle of compromises to see properly. Very frustrating.

Perhaps that's why I've never been fond of "dark modes". I have a colour impairment and my vision sucks in general, though eye surgery for cataracts last year helped considerably beyond just getting rid of them. So I just don't bother with dark modes. Never really had a problem with light modes except in certain circumstances (e.g. I appreciate that my car automatically switches the screen to dark mode after sunset).

Multiple headings with the same text will generate identical link hashes so it's not possible to link to subsequent headings with the same text in different posts on the same page
That was kinda expected (by me at least) ...

Unfortunately my question was never answered :)

That was kinda expected (by me at least) ...

Unfortunately my question was never answered :)
Maybe an md5/sha1 of the heading content and post number would make a better URL hash for the link. Then the worst case for linking is you could only use that same heading content once within the same post, instead of once within the same thread page

Clicking Mark Read or Unread on an individual alert on https://xenforo.com/community/account/alerts doesn't show a success message and doesn't update the list to show as Read or Unread.

When you have multiple alerts that are unread clicking Read or Unread on any alert will show them all being marked as read. Refreshing the page shows them correctly. @Paul B

Dark mode is muy bueno. 👍 I didn't get a notification for the announcement but when accessing the forum just a half hour ago, I noticed the dark theme and 💡 discovered 2.3 was up and running. The blue is fine for me--it's not bright at all. If anything it's slightly muted. But we are all free to adjust the colors when we install 2.3 ourselves as we see fit.

Hard refresh your browser.

Regarding the issue with reactions requiring confirmation, I was getting that about 50% of the time when reading through this thread and leaving a few along the way. First, third, fifth and sixth reaction worked OK, but got the confirmation for the second and fourth. I haven't accessed this forum on this particular machine in a while but I'll try hard refreshing again and see if it still happens.

In my case, I have poor vision (short sighted), but colour works fine for me, so I'd benefit from a slightly bigger default font. While glasses help greatly, it's a constant battle of compromises to see properly. Very frustrating.
I get eyestrain when blasted with a full white background. When I'm on the computer for a while, I will often kick it into "night mode" which puts an amber tint on the screen and darkens it.

There does need to be a way for visitors to increase font sizes overall. I've seen it on plenty of sites over the past decade where one click on an icon will increase the font size of all the elements. I might play around with this myself if I get a chance but for readability purposes, I may enter this in Suggestions as forum admins should make their forums as "accessible" as possible and provide assistance to those with compromised vision. (Using browser controls to "zoom" usually doesn't work properly.)

Not sure if this has been reported but as title.

Can't even attach file.

Browser: Firefox

Uploading through the PWA

Screenshot_20231201_214216_Firefox.webp

Anchor links feedback​

I was really looking forward to this (still am).

I must first publish a post in order to see any anchor links. That's not very practical.

It would be nice if we could manually edit the anchor links for each post section.
Not sure how difficult it is to implement, but it would be cool.

Yes, I can presume what the anchor link will be (seems to take all the words and add a "-" between them).
However, here is a link to a heading with a simple smiley. :) (the link is to my test post on the forum)

https://xenforo.com/community/threa...4-alt-titlesmile--data-smilie1data-shortname-

As a lady said last night: it's a very long "sausage." :(
:)

Also, fixing a typo should not alter the anchor link. :(
Links should remain relatively "fixed" since the main point is to use them on other posts (and sites).

TL/DR
Great, though still not perfect (IMO).

Anchor link use example that lets one edit and add anchor links to any part of the post, not just the headings (LES forum link):

https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/6368/hard-disks-101-explained/p1

My XenForo forum post that could really use a TOC and anchor links:
https://www.bikegremlin.net/threads/position-of-cassette-on-hub.12/#post-36

XenForo forum behaviour on anchor link copy/paste

Copy-pasting a link, without marking it as a link, auto-embeds it.

One must copy/paste the anchor link, then select the pasted section, and click on the "insert link CTRL+K" option, to re-paste the same link, in order for it to show "normally." Example:

Used the CTRL+K option:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/test-anchor-links.217990/#-second-heading

Simple copy/paste:

Relja

Last edited:
Top Bottom