General xenforo.com forum moderation & content feedback/discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximilianKohler

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but:

Your post in the thread Cannot start a conversation cuz SPAM was deleted. Reason: No need to cross post about this on multiple years old threads

I don't agree that there's no need. I think it's extremely useful.

People are encouraged to use the search feature, yes?
You want to reduce duplicate posts, yes?

What I did supports both of those endeavors.

When we search and find related threads, it makes things MUCH easier if people are referencing other related threads. In fact, this is how I've found most of the useful content on this site. People often don't put the exact keywords in their title that we're searching for, so we end up having to read through many threads and many cross-links to find what we're looking for.

I don't think the age of the thread is relevant. Sites that automatically lock old threads are extremely frustrating, and the result is many duplicate threads that people have to make and search through. Often, older threads will show up first in searches because they have the best keywords in the title. Linking to newer, related threads in those old matches is very useful. It makes it much easier to find the content we're looking for.

EDIT:
For example, that original search and reading took me quite some time. The links I included in that thread could save me (and others) a lot of time when trying to find that content again, but now that it’s removed I’d have to do the same thing all over again, and I don’t even remember everything I did, so often I may not even find all the content I found the first time.

Last edited:
You posted in at least 6 threads, one of them 9 years old.

You want to reduce duplicate posts, yes?

Which is exactly what you did - made multiple duplicate posts.

It creates more work for the moderators who have to read all posts and it pushes old content all about the same thing to the top of the feed for everyone else.

For future reference, see rule 13: https://xenforo.com/community/help/terms/

13. If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom