xf vs ipb speed

majdi

hello,

i run an ipb forum and its loading very slow, google webmasterstool result is very bad and as you know this penalize the SEO.
I am wondering how is xenforo speed? can anyone share with us his webmasterstool result?

if youre running apache that is the first thing i would look at.
its typically pretty bad out-of-the-box, which tends to fuel the anti-apache rhetoric. but if you spend the time and effort to tune it you can speed up your site considerably.

Have you opened a ticket with Invision Power?

I think several folks here have a particular server/web-server config that they live by, but it's difficult to dispense advice without details.

IPB will run slower than XenForo due to the amount of coding that each have. Xenforo has fewer lines of code, thus it will run faster due to it being the more streamlined in terms of code.

you keep giving advice on tuning apache. can someone tell us how to do it?
i think its the first time i have ever mentioned tuning apache here.
cant really tell you how to do it as there are too many variables involved, such as your server environment, the level of access you have to apache, etc. apaches default state is highly dependant upon where you got it, which os youre running and whatnot. its something you will need to research.

There are too many variables to easily tell someone how to optimize apache, mysql and php...but in general:
1. Turn off apache logging.....most people use google these days anyway.....
2. Build in the php and other things to the apache build - mod_php, fastcgi or whatever.
3. mysql is often the problem - that is a book in itself, but use some utilities which allow you to tune mysql...or at least tell you what is wrong.
4. Slow down the crawl rate that google uses in webmaster tools.
5. Use a dedicated server - ideally with a Xeon.

Many of these depend on the RAM you have available to you.....apache can have a lot of servers and children and mysql can cache most of the entire db in many installations, making them MUCH faster.

Google webmaster tools are a bit strange...first of all, they only consider being in the top 20% as fast.....secondly, in my report the slowest part these days is GOOGLE (their ads) showing on my pages.

5. Use a dedicated server - ideally with a Xeon.
LOOOOOOOOL
that's not true!

If somebody have no clue of the whole LAMP stuff, he WILL!!! have a much slower page, as with an normal webhost!
Everybody thinks, that he can rent a server without knowledge, upload his page and that's it, but that's not true:p

(especially if they don't care about the security...)

PHP:
<?php sleep(29); echo 'Hello world';
Just a single line of code, and virtual no functionality, but most certainly much slower than IPB, and quite possibly slower than vB4 too! ;)

That's possible?!
wink.png

Top Bottom