XF Legal Donation Fund - David vs. Goliath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, people are cheap, they tend to be willing to support a cause, but also want something for it. I am sure k/m/a wouldn't mind seeing more licenses sold. So if there are people that want to help them (in any way, so this is one of them) they can at least acquire a license, if they don't feel like 'donating' the money without getting something back for it. That the money is counted as income, it's still $licenses++;

Oh I agree, sorry I didn't meant to suggest peoploe not buy extra licenses lol.. just that is income, not specifically donation.

But by all means people.. go forth and purchase!!! The more licenses the better.

Until enough was settled, we didn't feel it was right to share. We got to that point when Peggy first posted the url. But we still have many things to hammer out and still do. Biggest one is getting the web site up and running.

Shouldn't be too hard. Just throw wordpress on there, put a donation plugin there that keeps track (if that's what you want, and otherwise just donation generated paypal button) and pick a neutral simple theme wihtout bells and whistles.

This grants you guys option to make a static donation page - and it allows you publish news when suitable, and the ability for users to drop comments.

Or just .. all chip in and buy a xenforo license, and put that one up there. XenForo comes with facebook connect and user upgrade features.

If y'all need help putting the site together I can help, although I'm not too crafty with words ... :D
Blandt, we are probably go the WordPress route.

As for being crafty with words, Kim (Dragonfly) did mention blog contributions.

Shouldn't be too hard. Just throw wordpress on there, put a donation plugin there that keeps track (if that's what you want, and otherwise just donation generated paypal button) and pick a neutral simple theme wihtout bells and whistles.

GMTA, Floris...we are thinking that direction but want a theme we can keep the donate button as high as possible. We have one in mind...so stay tuned.

Ok then ... we all can help, the lead should start a thread somewhere (here / off here :D) and lets throw ideas/words to get this thing moving

This grants you guys option to make a static donation page - and it allows you publish news when suitable, and the ability for users to drop comments.

Or just .. all chip in and buy a xenforo license, and put that one up there. XenForo comes with facebook connect and user upgrade features.

I think we're going the WP route and John is donating a simple, neutral theme.

Ok then ... we all can help, the lead should start a thread somewhere (here / off here :D) and lets throw ideas/words to get this thing moving

Let's give it a couple of days and make sure that they're even going to need an attorney. Who knows? "The Other Side" could have been blowing smoke, using scare tactics to halt XF's sale?
So we're waiting to see if they hear anything more from "the other side".

I think we're going the WP route and John is donating a simple, neutral theme.

yes ... hahaha well someone should write something to compel people to donate. you and I know what's up, others don't .. even if they do we need to show the cause. ;)

a simple wordpress dump will not do the job :D words will ;)

yes ... hahaha well someone should write something to compel people to donate. you and I know what's up, others don't .. even if they do we need to show the cause. ;)

Yeah, but we have to put the words somewhere. :)

But of course, :)

All good questions Floris. :)

Full disclosure will be on the website of course.. but if I may for now..

"We", is a bunch of us who are appalled by this situation and would like to assist by offering time and services to facilitate the setting up and running of a fund for the sole purpose of raising a defence fund for xenforo. We have taken this step of our own volition, in pure support of what we see as an appalling attempt to bully and squash free market trading.

So far we have the following office holders...

PR - Peggy
Treasurer - Peggy
Secretary - Liz
Website Administrators - Myself/Liz

Additionally Jethro, John and jonsidneyb have been in discussion and will be contributing as and when needed.

There will be spots for blog contributors as well.

GBL Creations is Liz's company, used to purchase the domain name.

The Paypal account will be opened by one of us, and will be administered by Peggy, and verified by another of the group. Full Paypal statements will be available on a periodic basis not yet determined.

The Monies raised will be transferred to the Trust (Escrow) Account of the Legal Firm retained by xenforo to defend this action. The funds will be held in Trust until such time as they are needed. In the happy event they are not needed, we are proposing the funds be donated to Charity.. yet to be named.

Whilst they are of course not involved in this in any way, Kier is aware of this site, has approved the use of the full xenforo name in the domain, and has expressed gratitude that we as a bunch of fans would be taking this step to assist freely and of our own volition.

I hope that goes someway toward covering those questions :)

*edit.. sorry I got the office holders mixed up :p all sorted now.
This is EXCELLENT news!

Thank you for sharing this with us, Dragonfly. :)

I do not want to "donate" anything. xF is a business and sometimes businesses have to fight these battles. I can think of a thousand organisations more deserving of a cash donation:rolleyes:

That said, I really want to help xF in their fight with the "Dark-Side" Whilst a donation goes against the grain, a genuine business purchase sits better with me. I would happily pay in advance for 3 years x $40 for a couple of my licences, or maybe even a one off "lifetime update fee" Yes its a risk, because xF might not be around in 3 years but its a business risk I am happy to make if it can help with a fighting fund. Best of luck xF

I do not want to "donate" anything. xF is a business and sometimes businesses have to fight these battles. I can think of a thousand organisations more deserving of a cash donation:rolleyes:

That said, I really want to help xF in their fight with the "Dark-Side" Whilst a donation goes against the grain, a genuine business purchase sits better with me. I would happily pay in advance for 3 years x $40 for a couple of my licences, or maybe even a one off "lifetime update fee" Yes its a risk, because xF might not be around in 3 years but its a business risk I am happy to make if it can help with a fighting fund. Best of luck xF

Take your point James, my point is I would like to demonstrate to Xenforo we are a community and will fight for our right to exist and not be bullied by big business. This affects anyone who uses the internet and would like choice, stand up and be counted folks!

Dat's cool.. do what feels right for you :)

I do not want to "donate" anything. xF is a business and sometimes businesses have to fight these battles. I can think of a thousand organisations more deserving of a cash donation
I can see your point as well, however even businesses can have a "friend of the court". We're just doing it the best way we can, esp since many of us who could afford smaller donations would not be able to help in a similar fashion.

Also any monies made off sales/support might be frozen and unable to be used in their defense since it would be considered income.

I would happily pay in advance for 3 years x $40 for a couple of my licences, or maybe even a one off "lifetime update fee" Yes its a risk, because xF might not be around in 3 years but its a business risk I am happy to make if it can help with a fighting fund. Best of luck xF

This is also a good idea, if it's workable, however...

Also any monies made off sales/support might be frozen and unable to be used in their defense since it would be considered income.

... it may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom