XF Legal Donation Fund - David vs. Goliath

Status
Not open for further replies.
why you say that ? it's just a service and if it helps Kier and folks keep legal costs down what's the problem ?

David you are more than welcome to your opinion, and I respect that right.

However you must also respect our right to choose to help with M/A/K's defense, should the need arise.

Not donating to the fund is your prerogative, just as setting it up and donating to it is ours. :)

There is nothing wrong with a legal defense fund, as long as management promises to donate any unspent money to a cause that the folks who donated agree on when the fund is dissolved and this case settled.

Maybe Greenpeace or the Red Cross can be agreed on right now or in the future.

Anthony we are just in the process of formulating a mission statement that covers your issue here. Clearly accountability of all funds received and the dispersement of those funds must be transparent and given a high priority.

Hopefully XF doesn't accept these donations and squashes the idea before anyone takes it any further.

I know my view on this is going to be the minority, but legal defense is the cost of doing business. If you can't afford to run your business, then you shouldn't have one.

It's totally amateurish and unprofessional to have to rely on a community to float the bill.

Would normally agree David and see your point here. However, and you just knew there was going to be one of those, this issue goes beyond the immediate action being taken against Xenforo and goes to the essence of what the Internet should be. Are we going to allow it to be run by corporate boards telling us what products to buy or are we going to send a message to those corporate boards that you cannot bully new companies? Xenforo is more than a company, it's a community, are you prepared to fight for that community's ideals? Sorry got to rush out find a horse and get some blue face paint!

I disagree with your view David, strongly disagree, if the members here want to donate and support the developers that is their choice.

I totally agree with you there and hopefully my post didn't come off as dictating what people should do with their money. It was meant more as a suggestion for the business aspect of XenForo should do should customers want to create such a fund.

Trust me I wish the success to Xenforo's legal case, and anyone choosing to donate I say more power to them. I just think a lot of people are getting way ahead of themselves and the court case itself at this point.

Would normally agree David and see your point here. However, and you just knew there was going to be one of those, this issue goes beyond the immediate action being taken against Xenforo and goes to the essence of what the Internet should be. Are we going to allow it to be run by corporate boards telling us what products to buy or are we going to send a message to those corporate boards that you cannot bully new companies? Xenforo is more than a company, it's a community, are you prepared to fight for that community's ideals? Sorry got to rush out find a horse and get some blue face paint!

Honestly this case isn't going to set precedent on anything this happens every day in every market it's not something new.

There are a lot more pressing issues out there in the us congress and senate that will have a father reaching impact on internet operations especially for us customers.

LOL, there are forums who take donations, DP for one raised over 80 grand I believe in their fund raiser when the forum was young, most of the founding members donated to the server fund.

I know of many other forums that have donate buttons for people who want to support their communities.

If a member believes that a donation is a good thing for that community they garner great value from and they get daily satisfaction from belonging there, I really don't think most folks blink an eye when it comes to supporting a forum they virtually live on.

I know in the early days of DP we all felt that way even if we abhor what it has become today.

Honestly this case isn't going to set precedent on anything this happens every day in every market it's not something new.

There are a lot more pressing issues out there in the us congress and senate that will have a father reaching impact on internet operations especially for us customers.

David you do know Xenforo is a Brit company and legal action, if it eventuates, will happen through U.K courts right? This has exactly zero to do with the US Congress and Senate. Groups like GetUp have formed in Commonwealth countries to directly try and influence society, government, and the law via citizen power, we follow in their footsteps. I would submit that a decision in this case could very much influence further startups in the Internet market, the Corporate push to control our lives through media, choices, and advertising needs to combated before it becomes an immovable force.

I disagree with your view David, strongly disagree, if the members here want to donate and support the developers that is their choice.
That is perfectly true of course, what people do with their money is their choice.

However, if people have spare money to donate to a cause, there are far more worthy real life charities that would love some extra money to help save many lives. :)

Hopefully XF doesn't accept these donations and squashes the idea before anyone takes it any further.

I know my view on this is going to be the minority, but legal defense is the cost of doing business. If you can't afford to run your business, then you shouldn't have one.

It's totally amateurish and unprofessional to have to rely on a community to float the bill.
If the case gets rejected by the courts, im sure the devs will donate the donated money to charity or something.

Maybe you should change all the ‘support the developer’ links on vb.org to ‘support the Red Cross’ instead. ;)
Why ? I dont force anyone to use them. People can choose to use, or not use, them.

indeed, paul you are sometimes a hypocrite
Rubbish, I never said anyone had to, but of course, you would rather see what you want to see as usual, welcome to the troll Paul brigade - its quite fashionable, apparently. :rolleyes:

That is perfectly true of course, what people do with their money is their choice.

However, if people have spare money to donate to a cause, there are far more worthy real life charities that would love some extra money to help save many lives. :)

Paul feel free to donate to those charities, I'm sure they will put your money to good use. Seems the defendxenforo.com idea is already sending vBer fanatics into panic mode by it's sweeping community feeling, another win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom