XF Legal Donation Fund - David vs. Goliath

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummm guys we have a defense fund in the works. The url is defendxenforo.org (not up yet).

We'll let you know when it's ready. ;)

Who is "we"?
Who is "GBL Creations" - do you have a registered company number for me? And how are they involved in this?
Who owns the PayPal email address?
Is the PayPal email address personal, business, and/or verified?
Doesn't PayPal usually lock the account until photoid is shared? If it's a new account and reaches that limit, what happens to the money?
If it's not MAKs personal address, how do we know all the money ends up with them? (besides trusting word)

Not trying to be bad/rude about it, I just want to make sure what I donate goes directly to them, and doesn't really filter through people who I don't know. I am not going to just throw money in the air hoping the MAKs catch it somehow - nor do I desire that 'fees' and 'costs' are deducted before it reaches their hands.

I am looking forward to supporting XF and donating a bit to help them fight against the american corporate giant with unlimited financial funds.

I'm sure all of that will be cleared up. Hence my suggestion about the trustee to be a close friend.

trustee ---> trust :D

I'm sure all of that will be cleared up. Hence my suggestion about the trustee to be a close friend.

trustee ---> trust :D
True, but in order for people to donate they need to be able to trust the person collecting the money as well.

And that would be me.

Floris, I am GBL Creations, LLC. I own the server it's sitting on. One of the other group however, will be "owning" the site. I had to put something up and as those graphics are mine, I have the right to the copyright.

Once we get the site live, my page will disappear.

The best way to get even.... promote xenForo in every way possible. Get people to ditch vB4 and change over to xF1

haha ditch is a very mean word hahaha :D
Here is the thing :
vB is owned by a corporation. no profit = a quick death
xF is owned by passionate people. passion = will be here

The first people who already ditched vB is IB. No need for us to ditch it :D

Who is "we"?
Who is "GBL Creations" - do you have a registered company number for me? And how are they involved in this?
Who owns the PayPal email address?
Is the PayPal email address personal, business, and/or verified?
Doesn't PayPal usually lock the account until photoid is shared? If it's a new account and reaches that limit, what happens to the money?
If it's not MAKs personal address, how do we know all the money ends up with them? (besides trusting word)

Not trying to be bad/rude about it, I just want to make sure what I donate goes directly to them, and doesn't really filter through people who I don't know. I am not going to just throw money in the air hoping the MAKs catch it somehow - nor do I desire that 'fees' and 'costs' are deducted before it reaches their hands.

I am looking forward to supporting XF and donating a bit to help them fight against the american corporate giant with unlimited financial funds.

All good questions Floris. :)

Full disclosure will be on the website of course.. but if I may for now..

"We", is a bunch of us who are appalled by this situation and would like to assist by offering time and services to facilitate the setting up and running of a fund for the sole purpose of raising a defence fund for xenforo. We have taken this step of our own volition, in pure support of what we see as an appalling attempt to bully and squash free market trading.

So far we have the following office holders...

PR - Peggy
Treasurer - Peggy
Secretary - Liz
Website Administrators - Myself/Liz

Additionally Jethro, John and jonsidneyb have been in discussion and will be contributing as and when needed.

There will be spots for blog contributors as well.

GBL Creations is Liz's company, used to purchase the domain name.

The Paypal account will be opened by one of us, and will be administered by Peggy, and verified by another of the group. Full Paypal statements will be available on a periodic basis not yet determined.

The Monies raised will be transferred to the Trust (Escrow) Account of the Legal Firm retained by xenforo to defend this action. The funds will be held in Trust until such time as they are needed. In the happy event they are not needed, we are proposing the funds be donated to Charity.. yet to be named.

Whilst they are of course not involved in this in any way, Kier is aware of this site, has approved the use of the full xenforo name in the domain, and has expressed gratitude that we as a bunch of fans would be taking this step to assist freely and of our own volition.

I hope that goes someway toward covering those questions :)

*edit.. sorry I got the office holders mixed up :p all sorted now.

All good questions Floris. :)

Full disclosure will be on the website of course.. but if I may for now..

"We", is a bunch of us who are appalled by this situation and would like to assist by offering time and services to facilitate the setting up and running of a fund for the sole purpose of raising a defence fund for xenforo. We have taken this step of our own volition, in pure support of what we see as an appalling attempt to bully and squash free market trading.

So far we have the following office holders...

PR - Peggy
Treasurer - Peggy
Secretary - Liz
Administrator - Myself/Liz

Additionally Jethro, John and jonsidneyb have been in discussion and will be contributing as and when needed.

There will be spots for blog contributors as well.

GBL Creations is Liz's company, used to purchase the domain name.

The Paypal account will be opened by one of us, and will be administered by Peggy, and verified by another of the group. Full Paypal statements will be available on a periodic basis not yet determined.

The Monies raised will be transferred to the Trust (Escrow) Account of the Legal Firm retained by xenforo to defend this action. The funds will be held in Trust until such time as they are needed. In the happy event they are not needed, we are proposing the funds be donated to Charity.. yet to be named.

Whilst they are of course not involved in this in any way, Kier is aware of this site, has approved the use of the full xenforo name in the domain, and has expressed gratitude that we as a bunch of fans would be taking this step to assist freely and of our own volition.

I hope that goes someway toward covering those questions :)

Excellent answers and looking forward to the site going live. I think it's great that it's being taken serious and serious enough (of course). I think if anybody on this community was planning on doing anything like this that they should contact you guys so what they have redirects to that site, and their public awareness is done via the PR of peggy. Organizing this is important to avoid confusion and 15 different funds (while of course all 15 are getting huge thumbs up). I just think it's smart to funnel it towards one direction and not have things scattered.

Keep us posted and I will certainly mention the site on xenfans.

I don't agree that a store would suffice, because you make little from such things, and people think twice about paying $25 for a mug by the time its shipped, then XF get about $3 from that total cost. I would rather just donate to them the $25 and let them use that completely for legal costs.

I wasn't suggesting that it would suffice, I just thought it might be a way of raising money for them without going through the whole "verifying that this is an official charity and not a scam" hoop-de-doo, because believe me, I have seen just how wrong a well-intentioned online donations drive can go. Several times.

But I see that someone has been willing to take on all the red tape, so never mind. :)

Maybe Floris came across as ..." hmm insert your choice of word "

transparency is the word that sums up his post.

Thank you for clearing it up DragonFly... Now let's get to it :D

Thank you Peggy, it's very comforting that you guys are taking the right route with this. Good luck with everything. And even more so to the MAKs

Until enough was settled, we didn't feel it was right to share. We got to that point when Peggy first posted the url. But we still have many things to hammer out and still do. Biggest one is getting the web site up and running.

I was just looking to get it explained better, and simply don't know how to ask nicer.. so kept it as short and simple as I could - and apologized up front :) No bad intentions with the post. peggy posted it and she's a mod, so I can expect it is not the average run of the mill comment. But I still had my questions unanswered so got curious.

Anyway :) Got the excellent answers and feel confident about it.

Excellent answers and looking forward to the site going live. I think it's great that it's being taken serious and serious enough (of course). I think if anybody on this community was planning on doing anything like this that they should contact you guys so what they have redirects to that site, and their public awareness is done via the PR of peggy. Organizing this is important to avoid confusion and 15 different funds (while of course all 15 are getting huge thumbs up). I just think it's smart to funnel it towards one direction and not have things scattered.

Keep us posted and I will certainly mention the site on xenfans.

Thanks Floris, I agree about the dispersment, although of course we have no control over what other sites may do, it would be nice to have the donations in one spot - fully transparently and responsibly.

All links will be gratefully received, as will all donations, no matter how small :)

<<Edited to remove any confusion>>

We will keep you posted for sure :)

I was just looking to get it explained better, and simply don't know how to ask nicer.. so kept it as short and simple as I could - and apologized up front :) No bad intentions with the post. peggy posted it and she's a mod, so I can expect it is not the average run of the mill comment. But I still had my questions unanswered so got curious.

Anyway :) Got the excellent answers and feel confident about it.
I knew why you were asking Floris, and you did just fine. Kim answered you better than I ever could have, altho I did have answers typed up, but she beat me to it, lol.
:)

Until enough was settled, we didn't feel it was right to share. We got to that point when Peggy first posted the url. But we still have many things to hammer out and still do. Biggest one is getting the web site up and running.
If y'all need help putting the site together I can help, although I'm not too crafty with words ... :D

Thanks Floris, I agree about the dispersment, although of course we have no control over what other sites may do, it would be nice to have the donations in one spot - fully transparently and responsibly.

All links will be gratefully received, as will all donations, no matter how small :)

Please do not buy an extra license as a form of donation, as that is considered income, and cannot be counted as a donation to the legal defense fund, should you wish to show support, we urge that you donate when the site is all set up.

We will keep you posted for sure :)

Well, people are cheap, they tend to be willing to support a cause, but also want something for it. I am sure k/m/a wouldn't mind seeing more licenses sold. So if there are people that want to help them (in any way, so this is one of them) they can at least acquire a license, if they don't feel like 'donating' the money without getting something back for it. That the money is counted as income, it's still $licenses++;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom