XF installation support ?

erich37

I have no idea of how to install software on a server and how to set-up a database.

So when XF becomes available, I will be looking for somebody who can support on that.

who is able to properly install XF-software on my server ?

This is also a matter of $$$ as I am planning to have several licences.

Is XF going to provide installation-service ?

In my 'ideal world' there would be documentation complete enough for people completely new to all this. At least a link to somewhere else that explains the very basics, with a video showing installation of xf.

The easier it is to use, the more sales there may be.

I have a feeling installation will be as intuitive as the forum is running here. So I'd say, give it a try, and otherwise hire someone from their sales/support team to do the installation for you. That said, xenfans.com will be offering an installation service.

Zero click installation?

We've added a mind reading feature to XenForo to help with things like installation, which is often hard to new members. For example, if you want to install XenForo on your (shared) server, all you have to do is think about it and it XenForo will install itself. We'll have a 'have you seen this' post on this subject soon, to demonstrate some of the possibilities of this new feature.
;)

Zero click installation?
I doubt that, you still have to confirm the database you're going to use, or fill in an admin account.
User input is always require with an installation. If you already have it installed you want to move to an upgrade, or if it is installed you want to use a different db (so confirmation is required) or say to remove the current data first.

I think while it will have a smoother easy installation, and less steps than vB, it will have a few required steps that are unavoidable.

Many people $, they think they have a great idea for a forum, but have zero knowledge of things like:
  1. how/where to buy a domain name
  2. how/where to get hosting, and what type - shared? Linux?
  3. why 1 & 2, in theory, would be a good idea to keep separate
  4. how to use cpanel (or other)
  5. how to make a database, add user, add permissions for user
  6. what is an ftp program, which one is a reasonable one to start with, and the basics of how to use it
Many, possibly all, of those things could be addressed for many people with a short video, who have an urge to setup a forum and spend $ while in the 'heat of the moment' and might impulse buy.

Many people $, they think they have a great idea for a forum, but have zero knowledge of things like:
  6. what is an ftp program, which one is a reasonable one to start with, and the basics of how to use it
Many, possibly all, of those things could be addressed with a short video for a great many people, who have an urge to setup a forum and spend $ while in the 'heat of the moment' and might impulse buy.
Once you go into that kind of support, you'll end up regretting it. There are too many types of hosting companies, solutions and different ways of doing things. FTP already works differently depending on which program you use, let alone if you add databases, hosting companies, control panels and so on to the mix.

Once you go into that kind of support, you'll end up regretting it. There are too many types of hosting companies, solutions and different ways of doing things. FTP already works differently depending on which program you use, let alone if you add databases, hosting companies, control panels and so on to the mix.
Understood, hence my suggestion of an example video only.

I love making tutorials and more specifically video tuts so if it's not already done when it's released I will more than happily put the claim in to capture a test installation and narrate exactly what we are doing as we are moving along.

Many, possibly all, of those things could be addressed for many people with a short video, who have an urge to setup a forum and spend $ while in the 'heat of the moment' and might impulse buy.

I am guilty as charged. I do not comfortably know the answer to some of these questions.

I want to learn but do not know where to go - any advice would be great.

Wow what a novel idea

Yes, there is tons of stuff out there

What would be good would be one place to learn it all where it is pieced together. Maybe it just does not exist.

When I set my site up a few years ago I had absolutely no idea what to do.
Literally I was absolutely clueless as I had never done anything like it at all before.

Within a day I had purchased a domain, installed phpBB and had a forum running.

I'm a firm believer in processes so I documented it all for future reference.

The hard part was moving the existing database from a free host as they had hacked the SQL tables so much.
Luckily I had the help of a forum member and excellent free support from phpBB staff.

Since that day I have taught myself HTML & CSS, we have developed our own CMS, gallery, F1 results database, etc.
Half the fun of running a site is learning new stuff as you do it.

Top Bottom