Add-on XF Classifieds

Fossor

A lot of forums use classifieds section (sometimes they turn forums into classifieds, sometimes they use 3rd party apps which is not the best solution).
How about creating extra options for existing forum structure to turn them easily into classifieds.

Lets say...admin want to create classified section on his forum..

admin side settings could include:
1) option to delete ads (posts) after X days [idea]
2) payment option (PayPal) for highlighting certain ad (thread) on thread list (for X amount of days)
3) payment option (PayPal) to keep them on the top for X days (like current sticky - but named & marked maybe premium ads) [idea]
4) custom / required fields like : PRICE, CONDITION, ZIPCODE, ad type (for sale/trade/free)
5) placement for Adsense

user side settings could work this way:
1) typed in price will show up in bold on thread list (maybe in place of REPLIES# or below thread title)
2) picture upload (same as current attachments).. 1st uploaded picture could show up on theadlist next or instead of user avatar.
3) map or distance calculation based on seller zipcode (google maps API)

just to get the idea, example of similar solution:
http://www.viperalley.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=2

What do you guys think?

My XF Classifieds idea is based more on renaming and rearranging existing functionality, with few additional features. I used Photopost Classifieds with my previous VB setup and UI and UX was terrible.
IMHO it will be pointless to create separate DB and app while regular forum could be tweaked to get necessary results. And everything could be kept within XF structure.

I will try to create rough screens of this add-on. Maybe some skilled programmer will utilize that ;)

This is something really needed. Fossor, add custom fields to existing XF structure and some templates modifications can work very well!

One important user side settings:
4)option to close/open/relist they ads. Close it if the product was sell. Open it again if something not goes well and relist it after time ends.

I use vBClassifieds, and understand they are working on an xF bridge. However, if there would be an official Classifieds system, built to tightly integrate into xF, that'd definitely be something I'd be willing to pay for.

Pay pay, here too!

Official ... as in by K&M ?
Does vB have an official Classifieds ?

Well, speaking for myself, I meant built from scratch, for XF, rather than something prebuilt and then bridged. I do not mind VBClassifieds, but it doesn't integrate witgh vB as well as I thought/hoped. If a new classifieds does so for XF, I might add it to multiple boards, instead of just one.

You could use something external and just import it's RSS feed into XF. I'm looking at Premium Press' Classifieds theme at the minute and you can export that data straight into XF as a feed, but as you say it's external, a bit of a pain.

admin side settings could include:
1) option to delete ads (posts) after X days [idea]
2) payment option (PayPal) for highlighting certain ad (thread) on thread list (for X amount of days)
3) payment option (PayPal) to keep them on the top for X days (like current sticky - but named & marked maybe premium ads) [idea]
4) custom / required fields like : PRICE, CONDITION, ZIPCODE, ad type (for sale/trade/free)
5) placement for Adsense

user side settings could work this way:
1) typed in price will show up in bold on thread list (maybe in place of REPLIES# or below thread title)
2) picture upload (same as current attachments).. 1st uploaded picture could show up on theadlist next or instead of user avatar.
3) map or distance calculation based on seller zipcode (google maps API)

What do you guys think?

I would be willing to pay for this add-on. If there's a developer out there who would quote this out for me I would be very interested.

And an additional (important I believe) information that I want to share, is that all versions (as I'll release it for IPB later on), should be 100% compatible. So someone who is now using the vB version and he wants to move to xF, he will not loose anything. Just a license change (Free of charge) and then import the old database.

This is using the old fashioned forum style which is so boring today as they're the 100K Nuke style sites. Even the keyword search that I tried is using the old style. Write then press enter.
Try this: http://www.christeris.net/vb4/classifieds.php
It has 10,000 active Ads all with photo. Start typing the word pioneer and keep your eyes on the right side.

Chris

@DigitalDoctor
@wickedstangs
-----------------
My apologies. This is my development site and I had to remove the data to make some changes with records in different languages. Now I finished the test and I populated the database again, so now there are 10,004 records. As you've seen it working with 4 records, you'll see that still is very fast even with 10,004 ones.
Chris

Top Bottom