Lack of interest XF Alerts to Social Network or Chat Program Notifications

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

M@rc

Lots of people have been complaining about social media and chatting programs taking away a lot of activity from their forum. But what if we can let members connect their social media and chat accounts to xenForo so that they can receive xenForo alerts through their social media and chat apps/programs? It'll help make people remember that our xenForo forums exist.

It's the best alternative I could come up with since xenForo lacks a mobile app with push notifications.

Social networking sites include:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Anything else
Chat apps include:
  • Discord
  • Skype (probably dead now because of Discord but whatever)
  • Anything else
Assuming this is even possible, it would be a major benefit to xenForo forum owners to keep people coming back to the site instead of having them forget about it. I've seen a lot of people who refuse to use one of my forums because it lacks "good" push notifications, as they call it.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You don’t need a mobile app to provide push notifications.

We already support push notifications and the only browser vendor that doesn’t support these are WebKit (Apple). Ultimately this means that any Safari browser and any browser on iOS is unable to use “good” push notifications.

Perhaps they’re an unfortunate iOS user. Like me. I’ve been calling for some sort of notification support from Apple since around iOS 8 or 9.

Maybe this year.

I’ll leave this open as notifications via an intermediary app are feasible but I have to say it’s unlikely and I’d strongly recommend voicing your frustration towards Apple.

Problem with Twitter/Facebook/etc integration is their APIs change that rapidly, you'd need to be constantly updating stuff to keep on top of it.

You don’t need a mobile app to provide push notifications.

We already support push notifications and the only browser vendor that doesn’t support these are WebKit (Apple). Ultimately this means that any Safari browser and any browser on iOS is unable to use “good” push notifications.

Perhaps they’re an unfortunate iOS user. Like me. I’ve been calling for some sort of notification support from Apple since around iOS 8 or 9.

Maybe this year.

I’ll leave this open as notifications via an intermediary app are feasible but I have to say it’s unlikely and I’d strongly recommend voicing your frustration towards Apple.
So where are the audible push notifications that are 2020 standards. Such as discord or facebook audible alert when you get a reply, like or whatever even invision has this. Take my money! Is this the downfall of private forums!?

I'm not sure what you are asking for. I get push notifications to my device and they make the alert noise?

All I get is the bell or lightning bolt image turns red but no audible alert with it. All modern forum platforms when left open or "open and running in background" will give an audible alert when a reply is received. Is this available? How to enable it?

Last edited:
All I get is the bell or lightning bolt image turns red but no audible alert with it. All modern forum platforms when left open or "open and running in background" will give an audible alert when a reply is received. Is this available? How to enable it?
Oh, I see what you are saying. Im talking about the push notification that is sent to my device. It makes an audible alarm as set by my mobile phone, for example. My laptop also makes a noise when it receives an alert.

Do you have push notifications configured?

Top Bottom