XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think holding off improvements and new features for 3 years is an issue. Small improvements every 3 to 6 months would go a long way towards making people feel like XF is improving and not MIA.
That is what IPS is doing with their monthly updates. Each month they release bug fixes and new changes/updates monthly. That way you know the software is being worked on, bugs are being fixed, and ultimately it feels like you are getting something for your money. The devs are constantly posting on their own forums. This helps the end users feel like there is life too their product and production is moving forward.

I think holding off improvements and new features for 3 years is an issue. Small improvements every 3 to 6 months would go a long way towards making people feel like XF is improving and not MIA.

Agreed. It's just not feasible waiting so long for new features (even when small). Smaller, more incremental updates is the way to go. But sure, in the event that a larger feature is being developed, a longer delay may be warranted. (and it should be communicated as such).

That is what IPS is doing with their monthly updates. Each month they release bug fixes and new changes/updates monthly. That way you know the software is being worked on, bugs are being fixed, and ultimately it feels like you are getting something for your money. The devs are constantly posting on their own forums. This helps the end users feel like there is life too their product and production is moving forward.
That works fine in a cloud environment, not so much a self-hosted one with only a part-time sysadmin. Quarterly would be quite enough. So I'm with @cdub's suggestion of every 3-6 months, which is kind of the current cadence for third level updates.

That works fine in a cloud environment, not so much a self-hosted one with only a part-time sysadmin. Quarterly would be quite enough. So I'm with @cdub's suggestion of every 3-6 months, which is kind of the current cadence for third level updates.
It's funny because vBulletin do theirs monthly.
I mean the guys here at XF could do monthly updates but all i see is complete boilovers that will produce bugs and make it less stable.

I still say april 1st.
why? Because of what they did with the green style last year.

It's funny because vBulletin do theirs monthly.
And how many smaller sites actually install every update? Seems like a lot of work for a hobby site like mine. And a higher risk of breaking s***.
I mean the guys here at XF could do monthly updates but all i see is complete boilovers that will produce bugs and make it less stable.
Which is an argument for less frequent updates to be sure. That said, I have never had a bad experience with an XF update, even in the days when I had to use FTP to do them (the site has been running Xenforo since 2014). There's been a couple times where they did a "Patch 1" release of an update shortly after the original update but I tend to wait a few days and test in my dev anyhow so that's not a big deal. And with the update feature, having to re-run an update for a follow-up patch isn't as big a deal as it used to be with FTP updates.

Compare that to Microsoft where I've had to rollback updates on occasion due to them seriously breaking stuff (e.g.. a Windows Server patch breaking Terminal Services on my Terminal Server).

I think this would be nice to see in future if XF tried out this model.

My biggest worry is lack of communication, as it sounded like we were going to hear about 2.3 imminently - then all quiet. Just an official post in a little detail would have alleviated a lot of concerns, but now we have a 58 page thread :oops:.
There was an official post (not an announcement) that explained the previous delays, there have also been smaller posts by Chris every so often.

This is also one of like 4 threads? that have been related to this subject.

At this point, because of the missed ETA they are probably hesitant to post a new ETA (understandable) especially if there is a task blocking progress.

Depending on how long it is going to take, they could start posting HYS, with communication that development is still ongoing and they are just posting earlier than usual (I believe they only post at late internal pre-alpha stages). Generally when they start posting HYS, communication picks up significantly, and they interact more with people posting questions, which is something that will actively pull away from development time.

Agree, never make a promise if you can't keep it.
It was an Estimated Time of Arrival rather than a promise. That said I thought every software developer in the world knew that publishing an ETA guarantees a delivery way beyond the intended date :rolleyes:

Should be in "upcoming weeks"

Agree, never make a promise if you can't keep it.
You need to work out the difference between a promise and a time line deadline.
They are different.
A deadline is like a goal.

A promise is something that you will do first.
Such as take your family out for dinner.

A deadline is like a goal. Try and finish work by 5pm today

Hence why i think this will happen on the 1st of April 2023.
Matches a year with the green style
Also gives the guys an ideal timeline deadline on when to release it to the public.

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom