XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have checked demo version of invision, I have found that XenForo is about 2-3 years behind them.
no offence but true, when you go to Hyde Park every Sunday, there are many speakers down there, interesting spectacle!
Bug fixing is always good, but also need to move further & invent, add more options like store, digital products, payment gateways
& raise the license price to give more updates. really to say: license is too cheap right now
need mobile apps, which could change the game
XenForo is just a one step to make it Global & get into first place.

add more options like store, digital products, payment gateways
& raise the license price to give more updates
Speaking from IT standpoint, I prefer to see a strong core with things that are not really core functionality (e.g. a store) as add-ons for those who need them. I hate all-in software where you have to pay an ungodly price for dozens of features you never use (looking at you, Microsoft) and that is buggy as hell due to all the extraneous functionality (glares at Microsoft again). Much better to charge a lower price for a solid, working core, and then add-ons (first or third party) for functions that are only used by a portion of the userbase.

For instance, Xenforo gives a good core article function (as they did in 2.2) but if you are actually running, say, a writing site (which I did a proposal for), you can buy Bob's AMS which extends things to provide that capability.

Frankly, if Invision has all that functionality as core and consequently charges a significantly higher price than XF (and we did not even look at them when we spun up Wondercafe2 back in 2014 so I have no idea of their price or capabilities), then you've just sold me on Xenforo over Invision. So maybe the team here should steer the course and recognize that there is a market for their approach rather than trying to be all things to all people.

I'd prefer if no updates were necessary
Well, third point (security and stability patches) updates, anyway. Second point updates (i.e. feature updates) are still welcome, I hope. However, the reality of modern software is that complexity pretty much means security and stability patches are going to be a fact of life. From my IT standpoint, I just want them to come a timely basis (i.e. not after my system has been hacked using a bug I didn't even know about) and be regression tested so they don't add new issues.

I'd love at least yearly second point releases. (new features) Some of the platforms I use have 2-4 feature releases per year. I really appreciate it to see that these platforms are on track and keep innovating, add highly desired features. At that rate we see that the most popular suggestions get implemented instead of sitting in the suggestions tracker for a decade. I don't mean that in a negative way, because there are only so many hours in a day and there are limits to what a few devs can do.

I do think that there is a subset of xenforo customers willing to pay more, to get more. At least the power users, big boards and corporate users will.

Last edited:
I actually like the new 1 month patch release cycle that Invision has going on now. I think this approach slowly patches the code for bugfixes/security updates. This way from the Dev's point of view if it fixes something, but breaks something else, it's easier to spot. When you wait for a big patch and something breaks then your looking harder to find it instead of fixing it slowly all along. Another thing I like it Invision releasing some big features periodically such as awards, and their new SEO overhaul without having to wait a year for a large release. From a business standpoint this keeps clients hooked and intrested. They feel like they are receiving new stuff for their money all the time. When you wait for so long to release some of these new features for a long time, people get bored and want something new for their money.

I do think that there is a subset of xenforo customers willing to pay more, to get more. At least the power users, big boards and corporate users will.
Then they should look at tiered pricing or something rather than an across the board hike because there's a reason small boards like mine like Xenforo. $160 upfront and $55 a year for maintenance looks awfully sweet to a board with 50 active members running on donations and it has support, unlike an open source option. If it went past $100 per year for support or switched to a subscription model, I'd be looking for new software.

we can discuss this for ages, everyone has own point of view, while you have small board with 0-10k users,
you do not even know when others have millions of users facing different problems,
secondly we still waiting for developers to answer on this, but not interested in everyone's view

there is option to buy resources or media separately, no one forces you buy them all, based on this no one will be harmed.

please, save your time, we need acts, not useless talks

the great thing is: many developers earn by selling their resources, XenForo gives this opportunity to all

I'd love at least yearly second point releases. (new features) Some of the platforms I use have 2-4 feature releases per year. I really appreciate it to see that these platforms are on track and keep innovating, add highly desired features. At that rate we see that the most popular suggestions get implemented instead of sitting in the suggestions tracker for a decade. I don't mean that in a negative way, because there are only so many hours in a day and there are limits to what a few devs can do.

Definitely. Having to wait almost two years for any new features (even how small) is a long time. I would love to have some new features sneaking in on a yearly basis.

So any new year updates
Despicable Me Please GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom