Not planned XF 2.2 Please put the quick insert button (+) into the toolbar

AndyB

I think it will be better to put the quick insert button (+) into the toolbar. If we want to use a tool to create rich content, we should only be looking at the toolbar to select the correct tool. Also the current method of having the button appear inline on every new line is distracting and I think will get old very quick. Also on smaller screens having it float in the middle of the editor looks really bad.

1593663769031.webp

Upvote 14
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Wouldn't moving the QI '+' button into the toolbar just result in several bbcodes buttons being duplicated? All of the QI menu items are already selectable there. Whilst I am not sold on the QI menu in its current form, I have to disagree with moving it into the toolbar, sorry.

I think that a more appropriate suggestion would be to enable/disable the QI menu altogether. There is an open suggestion for a user-selectable setting:

Wouldn't moving the QI '+' button into the toolbar just result in several bbcodes buttons being duplicated? All of the QI menu items are already selectable there. Whilst I am not sold on the QI menu in its current form, I have to disagree with moving it into the toolbar, sorry.

I think that a more appropriate suggestion would be to enable/disable the QI menu altogether. There is an open suggestion for a user-selectable setting:
I could live with an option to turn if off.

Otherwise, I think we can almost guarantee people will be hacking templates or creating addons to do it for us.

TBH, the specific suggestion made here isn't something we'd do. The quick insert option is mostly designed as an alternative way to access certain features that are also in the toolbar, so we wouldn't really move it to the toolbar. So on that basis, I'm going to close the suggestion.

The feedback regarding the position on mobile has been noted already and is certainly something we're looking into. As noted, there is an open suggestion regarding toggling it per user which may be more appropriate, though we are also revisiting the concept generally as there are a number of bugs in the base (Froala) implementation.

I think it will be better to put the quick insert button (+) into the toolbar.
That's what you get, when you're trying to be polite and searching for a compromise. )
Why don't describe how it is, without a fear to be called rude by someone?

Please remove the quick insert button (+)​

Having it float in the middle of the editor is unacceptable.
90% of those who post on forums don't need it at all, as they don't create rich content . The rest will be able to select the correct tool from the toolbar.

It might be useful for an editor, who's job is to create and publish a reach content articles. But then again he/she would do it from a desktop and would have the toolbar over the whole screen.

It's Ok on my Macbook, Its OK on my 27inch iMac. But having it sit in the middle of the iPhone editor when it opens is dumb as. And it will be confusing to my members who are mostly seniors. Yes, they'll get used to it, lots of new members will click it when all they want to do is type a short message, they'll learn, but come on, why should they have to. It's dumb.

It's Ok on my Macbook, Its OK on my 27inch iMac. But having it sit in the middle of the iPhone editor when it opens is dumb as.
I would say the same in my non-Apple world. On Windows 10 running MS Edge Chromium, it's at the left side and basically out of the way, but on my Android 9 phone with Chrome it's right in the editing area. That said, it disappears once I start typing so I don't find it a big deal, just a mild nuisance.

I agree with it moving to the toolbar. I don't want to see it floating only before I type.

If I were going to use it, it would be much better suited to the toolbar.. Not to mention I may want to insert an item mid paragraph that I didn't think about initially. So having it disappear as soon as i type, and not reappear again until the beginning of the next paragraph doesn't really work.

to me it appears like an afterthought and it's slightly annoying

I'd be happy if it consistently appeared to the one side or the other as it does on my PC, not in the typing area. I agree with @Mike's rationale for not proceeding with the original suggestion, though. If you're going to move it on to the toolbar, you may as well get rid of it and redesign the toolbar to expose things more since it is basically just an alternative to the toolbar for some common operations.

It's Ok on my Macbook, Its OK on my 27inch iMac. But having it sit in the middle of the iPhone editor when it opens is dumb as. And it will be confusing to my members who are mostly seniors. Yes, they'll get used to it, lots of new members will click it when all they want to do is type a short message, they'll learn, but come on, why should they have to. It's dumb.
This is exactly how I see it - and it even keeps appearing when I'm dictating a post!

Yeah, still not sold on it myself either. On desktop I think I'd probably just keep using the tool bar. And on mobile it's pretty buggy, often expands out of the keyboard view and the toolbar is pretty usable and sticky on mobile, so not sure QI adds much value.

Top Bottom