1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5.x - Make the new URL-Converter also work with links like "www.google.com"

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by otto, Jul 31, 2015.

1. otto

otto Well-Known Member

Normaly link in a post:
    Code:
    http://www.google.de
    will work: Google - thats ok. (y)

Simplyfied link in a post:
    Code:
    www.google.de
    dont work, it givs me a www.google.de instead of a Google - thats not ok (n)

I think the point is - this URL convertation feature is realy nice, but many (the most?) members post links without
    Code:
    http://
    bevor the domain. Thats normaly ok - Xenforo make this also to be a clickable link.

But it would be better, the URL convertation feature will also work with these simplyfied links.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Axel B, Fred., Divvens and 10 others like this.
  2. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

I believe the plugin from one of the XenForo developers available through Resources section does this already.

3. otto

otto Well-Known Member

And this is the point I dont understand why this is not complete included now in Xenforo 1.5. ;)

Divvens likes this.
  4. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

I guess Mike and/or Kier were against it.

Anyway I don't care because this feature is very confusing, I dislike it and I'm not going to enable it on my forum!

erich37 likes this.
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Bizarre reasoning that we're against it...

I actually explained the logic elsewhere: the title conversion only happens if the text of the link is identical to the link itself. This isn't a new behavior, it has been like this with automatic media embedding since that was added multiple years ago. It's easy to demonstrate:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

The title system piggybacks that logic. To change it would mean adding a special case to handle this situation (which can come up in multiple ways so an approach would be needed that would be consistent in all of them).

Rmarmorstein likes this.
  6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

7. otto

otto Well-Known Member

And I love our german laws ... ;)
    upload_2015-8-2_14-27-35.png