• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

XenFx Ad Manager

Lawrence

This is a discussion thread for an ad manager that has been requested on numerous occasions.

Although the main features are completed there is still numerous options that need to be integrated or tweaked before I will release it.

Features implemented to date:

- supports all 19 Ad templates
- each Ad Pack supports multiple banners, scripts, or any combination
- each ad location can be set to not display to members of specific groups. This was implemented to give you flexibility on removing a number of ads based on .... well whatever you decide. Eg: registered members may see ads in 9 locations, silver members, 4 locations, gold, 1, and platinum, none. You can globally set which groups are exempted from ads as well, but this affects all 19 locations
- depending on your settings, no queries, even if all 19 ad locations are used. If you set it to fetch a new ad pack for every location on every page load, 1 query
- no template edits
- only front facing ad locations are checked to see if a new ad pack should be loaded
- ad packs can be set to display globally or only when in a specific node
- threads can be assigned their own ad pack
- banners, scripts, and ad packs can be duplicated by changing their id and clicking Insert as New.
- banners, scripts, and ad packs can be quickly set to not available. Banners and scripts set to not available only affect any ad pack you create from that point on. This way, if you plan on using a specific banner in one ad pack, it won't be listed in the create new ad pack screen
- banners and scripts in use can not be deleted. They must be first removed from each ad pack (where they are used are listed for you)

See the screen shots below for options ad locations and ad packs have. PS do not mind the banner names, they were created for testing. Also, the create script page will change slightly. I'll be adding in a header text block for Javascript that requires to be in the header to work.

SS Ad Locations.webpSS Ad Pack List.webpSS Banners Added.webpSS Banners Edit.webpSS Banners Unused.webpSS Create New Script.webpSS Edit Ad Location.webpSS Edit Ad Pack.webpSS of Ads.webpSS Scripts List.webp

You can globally set which groups are exempted from ads as well, but this affects all 19 locations
So it's not possible to define for example:
Usergroup 2 sees adlocation 1,2,5,6
Usergroup 5 sees: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7..

So it's not possible to define for example:
Usergroup 2 sees adlocation 1,2,5,6
Usergroup 5 sees: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7..

You can per ad location. Most will never use all 19 locations, so it only needs to be set for the locations you are planning on using.

Also, the global settings screen is not shown above as I'm still adding to it: ie: option to display links below each ad that says something like: click here to remove these ads. You can globally set your biggest contributing group to never see ads, and then set the other groups per location. I've also done it this way for myself, actually, as I'll be using the top bread crumb position for displaying of simple notices (on my wife's site). The notices displayed will depend on usergroup.

Just an update, tracking of views, clicks, and display time is completed. From those some useful stats should be able to be generated per ad location and the type of ads for each. There is 1 query I am looking to eliminate, and when that is done all that is required to do for release is implement sequential fetching of adpacks (a quickie), and ad position within posts.

BTW: I moved this back to add-on requests because it just does not fit in Resource Discussions as, well, it's not a script I am looking to give to some one else to finish, a script that is requested to be ported over from another forum solution, or a style/graphic. As this has been requested, it is best here. When I release this in Add-on Releases, I'll close this thread as the discussion can then be continued within the release thread itself.

Just an update, tracking of views, clicks, and display time is completed. From those some useful stats should be able to be generated per ad location and the type of ads for each. There is 1 query I am looking to eliminate, and when that is done all that is required to do for release is implement sequential fetching of adpacks (a quickie), and ad position within posts.

BTW: I moved this back to add-on requests because it just does not fit in Resource Discussions as, well, it's not a script I am looking to give to some one else to finish, a script that is requested to be ported over from another forum solution, or a style/graphic. As this has been requested, it is best here. When I release this in Add-on Releases, I'll close this thread as the discussion can then be continued within the release thread itself.

Any eta on a release :)?

I can hardly wait. We are in the final steps of doing our vb4 to XF conversion and getting ready to go live. A ad management package like this will save us a tons of time coming up with our own solution. Hope to see this soon.

Russ

Top Bottom