1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

XenFx Ad Manager

Discussion in 'Resource Discussions [Archive]' started by Lawrence, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

This is a discussion thread for an ad manager that has been requested on numerous occasions.

Although the main features are completed there is still numerous options that need to be integrated or tweaked before I will release it.

Features implemented to date:

- supports all 19 Ad templates
    - each Ad Pack supports multiple banners, scripts, or any combination
    - each ad location can be set to not display to members of specific groups. This was implemented to give you flexibility on removing a number of ads based on .... well whatever you decide. Eg: registered members may see ads in 9 locations, silver members, 4 locations, gold, 1, and platinum, none. You can globally set which groups are exempted from ads as well, but this affects all 19 locations
    - depending on your settings, no queries, even if all 19 ad locations are used. If you set it to fetch a new ad pack for every location on every page load, 1 query
    - no template edits
    - only front facing ad locations are checked to see if a new ad pack should be loaded
    - ad packs can be set to display globally or only when in a specific node
    - threads can be assigned their own ad pack
    - banners, scripts, and ad packs can be duplicated by changing their id and clicking Insert as New.
    - banners, scripts, and ad packs can be quickly set to not available. Banners and scripts set to not available only affect any ad pack you create from that point on. This way, if you plan on using a specific banner in one ad pack, it won't be listed in the create new ad pack screen
    - banners and scripts in use can not be deleted. They must be first removed from each ad pack (where they are used are listed for you)

See the screen shots below for options ad locations and ad packs have. PS do not mind the banner names, they were created for testing. Also, the create script page will change slightly. I'll be adding in a header text block for Javascript that requires to be in the header to work.

SS Ad Locations.png SS Ad Pack List.png SS Banners Added.png SS Banners Edit.png SS Banners Unused.png SS Create New Script.png SS Edit Ad Location.png SS Edit Ad Pack.png SS of Ads.png SS Scripts List.png
    Fred., Huy, gemmk1 and 30 others like this.
  2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

So it's not possible to define for example:
    Usergroup 2 sees adlocation 1,2,5,6
    Usergroup 5 sees: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7..
  3. Lawrence

You can per ad location. Most will never use all 19 locations, so it only needs to be set for the locations you are planning on using.

Also, the global settings screen is not shown above as I'm still adding to it: ie: option to display links below each ad that says something like: click here to remove these ads. You can globally set your biggest contributing group to never see ads, and then set the other groups per location. I've also done it this way for myself, actually, as I'll be using the top bread crumb position for displaying of simple notices (on my wife's site). The notices displayed will depend on usergroup.
    ragtek likes this.
  4. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

Great job Lawrence, very professional (y)
  5. principia

principia Well-Known Member

Wow. Great. (y)
  6. spiderman

spiderman Member

7. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

wow awesome :) This will be handy for me after a while.
  8. Phil Conway

Phil Conway Active Member

This looks great. Looking forward to it being released.
    ramesh likes this.
  9. Puntocom

Puntocom Well-Known Member

Nice!! I'll be watching this Addon
    Thanks!! that's very useful IMO.

I'll be very happy to beta test it.
  10. bogus

bogus Guest

Very nice but i still dont see the possibility to add adsense?
  11. Lawrence

In the SS above that shows two ads at the same time in the top breadcrumb position, the top one is a banner, and the one directly below is adsense. :)
  12. bogus

bogus Guest

Oh ok sry did not saw that..
  13. Lawrence

Quick update: tracking of ad pack views per front-facing ad location is completed. Tracking of banner clicks is also completed.
    If you utilizing one or all nineteen ad locations, 1 query for views, and none for clicks until an ad is actually clicked.
    Veer, bogus, principia and 1 other person like this.
  14. stijl

stijl Member

Looks fantastic. Will be using this once I launch.
  15. DerTobi75

DerTobi75 Active Member

What about statistics for impressions, clicks and so on?!
    bogus likes this.
  16. bogus

bogus Guest

... and its published ;)
  17. Lawrence

Just an update, tracking of views, clicks, and display time is completed. From those some useful stats should be able to be generated per ad location and the type of ads for each. There is 1 query I am looking to eliminate, and when that is done all that is required to do for release is implement sequential fetching of adpacks (a quickie), and ad position within posts.

BTW: I moved this back to add-on requests because it just does not fit in Resource Discussions as, well, it's not a script I am looking to give to some one else to finish, a script that is requested to be ported over from another forum solution, or a style/graphic. As this has been requested, it is best here. When I release this in Add-on Releases, I'll close this thread as the discussion can then be continued within the release thread itself.
    DerTobi75, Slavik, Veer and 2 others like this.
  18. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Any eta on a release :)?
  19. wrx1

wrx1 Active Member

I can hardly wait. We are in the final steps of doing our vb4 to XF conversion and getting ready to go live. A ad management package like this will save us a tons of time coming up with our own solution. Hope to see this soon.

Puntocom likes this.
  20. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

ditto :)