Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge

Deepmartini

Everyone knows the crap forum called BBpress is like the ugly stepchild of Wordpress, left alone and abandoned. SimplePressForum (a Wordpress Plugin) is a good start but doesn't have the "wow" factor but integrates perfectly with Wordpress.

If Xenforo could release a Wordpress plugin that has full integration with Wordpress including all user information and a single login, it would be a POWERHOUSE. Do you know how many Wordpress sites want to add a forum to their site but can't?

Any mods like this coming?

Upvote 46
Whatever, I'd like to see a XF native CMS system.
I maybe use WP, but I think Joomla is too much for as CMS for a site it's core is a forum.

I am no technical person, so please excuse me for my ignorance, but can somebody explain to me what the big cons and pros are of an inhouse xenForo produced CMS compared to a bridge to Wordpress?

(I definitely need a solution to be able to offer member blogs and a CMS, otherwise I simply am unable to upgrade from vB3.8 > xenForo 1.0)

........... big cons and pros are of an inhouse xenForo produced CMS compared to a bridge to Wordpress?.............

Tools designed for the job, the more focused something (and the team that builds it) is, typically the better it is.

Something that tries to be all things for everyone (i.e. Drupal) is just a huge bag of compromises.

Though if you are doing one thing, then another and can switch between them (and keep your authentication and authorisation) it's ideal.

Tools designed for the job, the more focused something (and the team that builds it) is, typically the better it is.

Something that tries to be all things for everyone (i.e. Drupal) is just a huge bag of compromises.

Though if you are doing one thing, then another and can switch between them (and keep your authentication and authorisation) it's ideal.

They (Kier and Mike) can focus on forum and maybe hire someone who works best with CMS and blog.
IMHO it's best to have XFCMS and XFBlog.
Just see how awesome the forum is, then imagine how the XFCMS and XFBlog will be if they built in-house. :)

It wouldn't be an official product; I'm going to talk to a friend of mine to do it (He use to develop plugins for Wordpress, and still does IIRC).

Yes, but how can we be sure that the plugin will be supported? Will your friend maintain the product? Whats going to happen when XF2 released? Endless questions...

Integrating with Drupal would be a challenge as it is designed to destroy servers with SQL .........
hehe, kind of agree if you run it just like that. In which case wordpress is pretty shoddy too.
Drupal has some awesome caching solutions though. Try Boost.
The thing with drupal is that many big corporate websites use it as a frontend and XF can be a natural forum solution for them if there is an official addon.

Having said that, i would be happy with just an official wordpress bridge :)

I don't know very much about wordpress, but my impression is they are dabbling with forum add-ons (correct me if I am mistaken). I also have the impression the number of wordpress blogs is huge.

• If so, then possibly the suggestion of a XF to wordpress bridge is the wrong way round?
  • Instead, have a seamless bridge from wordpress to XF, which might be a suitable clean fast forum addon for blog owners?
That could be a much bigger market.

?

I don't know very much about wordpress, but my impression is they are dabbling with forum add-ons (correct me if I am mistaken). I also have the impression the number of wordpress blogs is huge.

• If so, then possibly the suggestion of a XF to wordpress bridge is the wrong way round?
  • Instead, have a seamless bridge from wordpress to XF, which might be a suitable clean fast forum addon for blog owners?
That could be a much bigger market.

?

Is it possible that the wordpress license agreement might be a problem?
http://wordpress.org/about/gpl/

Top Bottom