Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge

Deepmartini

Everyone knows the crap forum called BBpress is like the ugly stepchild of Wordpress, left alone and abandoned. SimplePressForum (a Wordpress Plugin) is a good start but doesn't have the "wow" factor but integrates perfectly with Wordpress.

If Xenforo could release a Wordpress plugin that has full integration with Wordpress including all user information and a single login, it would be a POWERHOUSE. Do you know how many Wordpress sites want to add a forum to their site but can't?

Any mods like this coming?

Upvote 46
Are you 2 discussing the 'hosted' wordpress? Or the wordpress application that can be downloaded and installed on your own server?

Abomination thanks for asking that question. I'm WP-ignorant sorry to say. So I didn't know there's a difference. Are the rights handled differently? On my application I need to have exclusive ownership of the content (that I've developed over the last 12 years), and not let anything slip into the hands of some corp.

Jerry thanks for the heads up. Are you saying you're writing a bridge for integrating WP with XF, OR???

I don't know very much about wp, but I thought anyone could start up a blog at wordpress.com, or download the software from wordpress.org and install it on your own server.

I don't know very much about wp, but I thought anyone could start up a blog at wordpress.com, or download the software from wordpress.org and install it on your own server.
Yeah, that's not quite the issue for me I don't think. You can download it etc. but in their fine print, do they make claims of rights on the >content< that gets generated by my community? MY company must hold >exclusive< copyrights to all of the content my audience generates. I kind of doubt that WordPress makes no claim at all to the content we generate, but if there's a legal beagle on this board who can point me to where they confirm that all content rights (other than their design, etc.) belong to us who've generated that content, I'd like to see it. WP is very cool and popular... I just don't want them taking my content-property in exchange for use of their cool system.

Basically, content you create USING Wordpress it belongs to you, that's never been at issue. In fact given the number of commercial blogs using Wordpress they would have a HUGE revolt if they attempted to claim any IP for content (posts etc) created using the system.

Wordpress exists either as a hosted blog at Wordpress.com, or as a software package that you install on your website no different from vBulletin, Menalto Gallery, etc. In the latter case, you own all the content.

Wordpress exists either as a hosted BLOG at Wordpress.com, or as a software package that you install on your website no different from vBulletin, Menalto Gallery, etc. In the latter case, you own all the content.
Fixed that for ya :).

But you're totally right. Installing Wordpress on your own server is trivially easy, and you DO own all the IP you (and/or your community) create there. To the best of my knowledge you can also build and sell commercial extensions for WP or bridges to commercial extensions, you just have to be more careful about the details of the GPL license there. This might help clarify a bit? http://hackadelic.com/making-money-with-wordpress-plugins-mixing-the-gnu-license-with-others

Next question: Is it feasible, or even easy, to migrate vB 3.x.x Blog content to WordPress (assuming WP is installed on MY server)?
I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear from you veterans. And thanks again! Then I think we've just about exhausted this thread, eh?

Next question: Is it feasible, or even easy, to migrate vB 3.x.x Blog content to WordPress (assuming WP is installed on MY server)?
I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear from you veterans. And thanks again! Then I think we've just about exhausted this thread, eh?

Migrating data isn't that hard, I've done it a few times ;)

Though that is a question for the wordpress site & people I'd think.

Migrating data isn't that hard, I've done it a few times ;)

Though that is a question for the wordpress site & people I'd think.
hey mate, i was google about wp-vb integration and fall here and find this awesome bulletin-software. hope soon release it (if it's not expesive than vb4 i will move to xen)
i'm trying to move users from vb to wordpress but vb3 is using 2 time md5 hash and wp is using phpass (and one time md5 hash for older supports) do you able to guide me to how move users from vb to wp user table?

Have to agree Maximilian. XF integrated with 3rd party solutions will produce one heck of a web setup!

hey mate, i was google about wp-vb integration and fall here and find this awesome bulletin-software. hope soon release it (if it's not expesive than vb4 i will move to xen)
i'm trying to move users from vb to wordpress but vb3 is using 2 time md5 hash and wp is using phpass (and one time md5 hash for older supports) do you able to guide me to how move users from vb to wp user table?

Hi there and welcome! This isn't really a place for support in that regard, however if you try over at Wordpress Support they might be able to better guide you. If it were me, and you are thinking of moving to XF, I would just keep VB for now. XF will allow you to migrate your users without hassle, and by the looks of a few posts here the bridge, for WP, may be out very shortly after the XF release.

Top Bottom