Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge

Deepmartini

Everyone knows the crap forum called BBpress is like the ugly stepchild of Wordpress, left alone and abandoned. SimplePressForum (a Wordpress Plugin) is a good start but doesn't have the "wow" factor but integrates perfectly with Wordpress.

If Xenforo could release a Wordpress plugin that has full integration with Wordpress including all user information and a single login, it would be a POWERHOUSE. Do you know how many Wordpress sites want to add a forum to their site but can't?

Any mods like this coming?

Upvote 46
Hello,

I noticed a lot of people asking for a XenForo CMS, but it can take time as a lot of work needs to be done in forum section of Xenforo also. Wordpress is no doubt one of the best CMS out there. I am wondering if there could be any thing like Integration of Worpdress and Xenforo which 'll have following features:
  • if a user register in xenforo, an account is automatically created in wordpress.
  • logging in and out from xenforo in wordpress as well.
  • widgets to show "Recent Threads" in wordpress.
  • Wordpress's latest comments/posts showing in xenforo.
  • Adjusting xenforo usergroup's permissions to post/edit/delete in wordpress.
I am not a licensed member of xenForo, I am watching it being developed very well and I 'll surely move it once all important addons are available in it also.

just started using wordpress this month and iagree, its an incredible CMS. Id love to integrate my xenforo stuff to the main page sidebar.

Latest threads
Latest Uploaded images (in a thread and also user album)
Today's Events (when we get a calendar)

Another vote for a seamless Wordpress-XenForo integration.
Also, please don't spend time reinventing a blogging CMS.
Specialization in forum usability and clean forum design + integration with market leaders in other areas* is the way to go imho!
* Blogging = Wordpress, Shopping = Shopify?, Affiliate Program = ... ?

Do you use Shopify ?
Looks pretty good.

I am in for a Wordpress plugin.
Not the garbage out there now taking users from the forums. I want users from wordpress to forums and forums to wordpress.

Another vote for a seamless Wordpress-XenForo integration.

Also, please don't spend time reinventing a blogging CMS.

Specialization in forum usability and clean forum design + integration with market leaders in other areas* is the way to go imho!

* Blogging = Wordpress, Shopping = Shopify?, Affiliate Program = ... ?

Totally agree.
Except that the shopping market leader is Magento. Shopify is more like a blog hosted on .wordpress.com.

One of vBulletin's greatest weaknesses was its lack of a bridge for the popular CMS. Contrary, the import feature was probably one of it's most-asked for feature.

While WP is certainly the most popular CMS, please don't overlook the other 3 major CMS, they have a significant market share as well.

The code for a Drupal bridge can't be THAT different from a Joomla bridge. Or a WP bridge for that matter.
And Drupal is readily establishing itself as the only real alternative to WP (for medium+ sites).
And some sites need to use Typo3 as their CMS as well. You can't build really complex sites with WP or Joomla. Typo3 site owners are also easy customers: they don't care about the price tag for such a bridge and Typo3's API makes it so that the bridge will always stay functional, regardless of Typo3 version upgrades.
You will hardly find a Drupal/Joomla/Typo3 site owner who wouldn't spend a few hundred bucks for a XF bridge.

• a bridge would way cheaper and faster to develop than a CMS
  • no other forum software provides such a bridge, yet it's desperately needed
  • much higher of number of potential customers. You can switch from XYZforum to XenForo relatively easy. But you couldn't really switch from WP/Drupal/Joomla/Typo3 to XenCMS without a lot of work
  • Those CMS only get better and more usable. You can build almost anything with today's CMS. Anf the better they get, the more people use them. And the more people want a XenForo integration. a bridge would be like oil - its price and value can only go up
  • -> IMHO a bridge would be the single most valuable feature for XF with a phenomenal ROI

I feel that xenforo needs to provide an easy way for members to integrate wordpress and xenforo together.

1. There are dozens of threads where current and potential xenforo customers are asking for wordpress integration. I was going to list them but there were simply to many so I'll leave it to the search box to provide.

2. Different members have different needs for their sites and while some are willing to pay a premium to have this functionality developed, there's this ugly risk that a coder may decide that developing for xenforo is no longer profitable and close up shop (aka Ragtek and others). Being able to natively use wordpress addon's in xenforo would not only expand the number of mods that customers could potentially use -- it could provide these coders with a wider audience for the sale of their packages.

Either way, a thriving mod community is going to be essential for Xenforo unless there are plans to build the most requested items in-house which doesn't seem to be the case.

Regards,
- John

I feel that xenforo needs to provide an easy way for members to integrate wordpress and xenforo together.

1. There are dozens of threads where current and potential xenforo customers are asking for wordpress integration. I was going to list them but there were simply to many so I'll leave it to the search box to provide.

2. Different members have different needs for their sites and while some are willing to pay a premium to have this functionality developed, there's this ugly risk that a coder may decide that developing for xenforo is no longer profitable and close up shop (aka Ragtek and others). Being able to natively use wordpress addon's in xenforo would not only expand the number of mods that customers could potentially use -- it could provide these coders with a wider audience for the sale of their packages.

Either way, a thriving mod community is going to be essential for Xenforo unless there are plans to build the most requested items in-house which doesn't seem to be the case.

Regards,
- John

None of the add-on developers see the potential of this. Whoever does will surely make a fortune.

Poll 1,000 users and 10% of them will say they want to write a blog.

Give that 10% a blog, get everything set up, and come back in 6 months. maybe 10 users will have written more than a "Hello" post or a few banal anecdotes about their cat.

It turns out that most users who think they need a blog are better off actively participating in a "Coffee House" type forum. There is really little difference in sharing their life experience between that and a blog. The traits that make one a successful forum poster don't necessarily translate to the skills required to be a quality content author.

There's no doubt that Wordpress is the best-of-breed blog software. XenForo could spend 2 years trying to copy it but why? WP is dead easy to install, it's in active development, and there are bridges to forum software to display recent posts, or include blog posts in the forum somewhere. I wouldn't even mess with trying to integrate user databases. Just sign up those 5-10 of your users who will actually show an interest in posting articles with blog accounts and treat them as a team of authors helping to build your website.

It's been stated that XF is going to focus on being a quality forum, and allowing developers to write add-ons and plugins. I'm not Kier, but it seems rather unlikely that XF would add a shopping cart feature to XF beyond the rudimentary paid subscription system. I just think it's totally beyond the scope of XenForo to deal with tax laws, shipping calculations, inventory management, order tracking, and all the other cruft that a shopping cart requires.

If you are running a sales site that needs forum support, I'd see if you can get someone to modify your shopping cart software to automatically create an account in your XenForo forum, populate the user account with the relevant information, and then e-mail the user information on how to login to and use the forum should they be interested in using it. Most purchasers of products don't feel the need to comment on it unless there's a problem.

Bang on, as usual !

I'd much like to see an official add-on fully supported by XenForo and not by an unknown, start up company.

Mostly because bridge development is often abandoned by whoever develops it. I've not known any long term bridge support by anyone or one that kept with current versions.

Also a full bridge would allow for

Log-in via XenForo
Log-in via WordPress
Register on either XenForo or WordPress equals 1 users for both (joint registration)
Joint permission settings
XenForo users can post blog post
Sync and display XenForo avatars within WordPress
Sync and display WordPress avatars within XenForo

Top Bottom