XenForo vs vB

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does this differ from vb? How is it better? its cheaper but im not sure right now if it is the right forum. Im leaning towards vbulletin because im familiar but im also lookng for a cheaper option.

how does this differ from vb? How is it better? its cheaper but im not sure right now if it is the right forum. Im leaning towards vbulletin because i'm familiar but im also lookng for a cheaper option.

Xenforo
is much more engaging to the end user.
It's better on server resources.
It has a much more modern feel all around.
development of the core is currently at a standstill.

vBulletin
has alot more addons
is suing Xenforo (is you can't beat 'em, sue 'em)
vB4 was terrible when released, and it took a year to make it even usable.
vB4 still has so many problems they stopped fixing them and are concentrating on vB5.
is run by a mega corporation and it's really hard to say how well they are going to do running a forum software company.

Myself, I really dislike vB4. I like vB3.
There are pluses and minuses to any software you choose.
MyBB has benefits as well.

Price shouldn't be that big a factor. Expensive = changing programs down the road. The time you put into your software is the big expense.

I've seen people integrate custom scripts before. Chances are, the steps to integrate will be different to vBulletin. It's still PHP but the structure of the code is different (in my opinion better, more optimised). The steps necessary will vary dependent on the custom script you need to run.

So, basically the software is incredibly flexible.

I would never buy XF because it's cheaper......it's not that much of a difference and your time is worth more than a little money.

You can dig around the forum and find out a lot about the software. The short and sweet is that the Xen part stands for "Zen", meaning it has a simpler and less bloated design. The coding is much more modern and modular.

This may mean nothing to you. It may be that VB has more of what you need on add-ons, etc.

Look into everything. Check the speed of some of the XF forums. Check out the look and the features.

From a development point of view, XF is a HUGELY better system than the very old codebase being used on vB4.

As for integration, I managed to integrate XenForo's login system into PyroCMS and allow cross-site user authentication. I've seen a few people running it with Wordpress integrated, and there are a number of 3rd party scripts that have XF integration.

It would obviously all boil down to what you are integrating it into. Is it possible: Most certainly.

From a development point of view, XF is a HUGELY better system than the very old codebase being used on vB4.

As for integration, I managed to integrate XenForo's login system into PyroCMS and allow cross-site user authentication. I've seen a few people running it with Wordpress integrated, and there are a number of 3rd party scripts that have XF integration.

It would obviously all boil down to what you are integrating it into. Is it possible: Most certainly.
Just out of interest, is PyroCMS what is running on the site in your signature?

well i develope add-ons for vb and xf and with the changes vb does nearly every month or 2 i have to change the code in my vb scripts so offten its unbelevable.
Since having xf i have not had to change one bit of code and its also alot easyer to make add-ons for xf than vb.

As i develop vb add-ons i have to have this installed as you can see here
www.totally-scripts.com but i am thinking of coming away from vb all together as it does corze a lot of plroblems with the site running slow.

Been using xf now for a few months and have converted over microcart and just released a new add-on microdownloads and found it easyer to make add-ons for xf.

I have been using vb for over 5 years now and they where the best out there till i found xf.

If anyone would ask me what forum system to go for i would say this xf system is the best out there,
and i will be making more add-ons for xf than vb from now on.

how does this differ from vb? How is it better? its cheaper but im not sure right now if it is the right forum. Im leaning towards vbulletin because im familiar but im also lookng for a cheaper option.
I run both. vB is older so during all the years it existed prior to XenForo features have been added to it, and products for it created. The problem is the dissatisfaction with the latest series 4.x.

XenForo is more in line with modern coding, also has much more focus on clean and secure coding. It has a potentially bright future, as more features will be added and add-ons created. XenForo also has some very useful features currently not available in vB. Your choice likely depends on how easily you can integrate XF in your website. I suggest trying the demo or even get a test license to get used to it. You may like it and change your mind.

have any of you have this problem with vb when removing multi posts it just takes so dame long to go through everything.

There is a new vb coming and thats more problems for vb developers as this means more changes to your add-ons to make it work for vb version 5

have any of you have this problem with vb when removing multi posts it just takes so dame long to go through everything.

There is a new vb coming and thats more problems for vb developers as this means more changes to your add-ons to make it work for vb version 5
I'd recommend you ask vb specific support questions over at vbulletin.com :)

yes vb is moving to a api system but for vb developers this is a night mare as it means rewriting the mods we have to work with it.
This means alot of changes for every developer to make.

Im not even sure i want to carry on with vb mods as they change the system so much within a short time frame.

With my microcart system for vb i have had to convert it over from vb 3 to vb 4 then they changed some other functions within a month of the release of version 4 and it keeps going change after change.

Its a pain for people like me that are trying our best to make sure every thing is working and when you get it just right they change the way they do things, and you have to start again updating again.

I would like it where you did not have to update it so often as i work on my own developing scripts and work full time.
There are just not anough hours in a day for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom