XenForo Redirects for vBulletin

XenForo Redirects for vBulletin 1.1.9

No permission to download
Anyone who thinks they have a sense of this redirection thing, holla. Maybe the MYSQL file can be viewed (Navicat, CSV, etc.). Wonder if there is a way to do manual redirection? Working off a printout and using cut-and-paste. (This would be the resulting table inside Xenforo.)

Figuring this out could be a paid gig.
Even just a conceptual help, even if nothing fantastic is done.

My forum is extremely simple, compared to many, and if the Redirection does not work on mine, something fundamental seems to be askew.

Last edited:
Here are some questions. :)

Help on #s (1) and (3) would be especially appreciatedd.

================

1) What table do the redirections end up using in Xenforo?,

I would assume it is not the import log file with vbulletin in the name, so where are the actual redirection tables?

=================

2) import_log_vbulletin4_1.ibd 500K
import_log_vbulletin4_1.frm 1.6K

There is also an xf_post_backup file of 32 MB, It however has a lot of text and tot the message "Specified table does not appear to be an import log "
So that, I presume should be ignored.

=================

3) Should I try the "Rebuild" option?

What does that do?

=================

Note:
I don;'t really want to do a redo, I would have to change the DNS back and forth, and unless something specific was done differently on the vBulletin side, and I do not have any idea what that would be, I would expect the results to be the same.

=================

Steven

Another help would be to trap the Google no-find searches and redirects that go to:

==============================================

Not Found

The requested URL /showthread.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.25 (Debian) Server at www.purebibleforum.com Port 443

==============================================

And have them go to a specialty page that explains the transition and allows either the normal Xenforo search or the better Add-on Search.

Your thoughts on that would be welcome!

Or, at the very least, goes to the home page rather than the Not Found page.

1) What table do the redirections end up using in Xenforo?,

I would assume it is not the import log file with vbulletin in the name, so where are the actual redirection tables?

You had to create and name an import table when you imported your vB into xf. Use that table. There is no general name for the import table. You have to remember how you named it.

2) import_log_vbulletin4_1.ibd 500K
import_log_vbulletin4_1.frm 1.6K

There is also an xf_post_backup file of 32 MB, It however has a lot of text and tot the message "Specified table does not appear to be an import log "
So that, I presume should be ignored.

See former answer. You could have given ANY name to that table. If you get an error selecting a table it is the wrong one.

3) Should I try the "Rebuild" option?

What does that do?

No, rebuild won't help.

Not Found

The requested URL /showthread.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.25 (Debian) Server at www.purebibleforum.com Port 443

This error suggests that you do not have the files of this add-on in place where they need to be. Or that the .htaccess does not work. You need to check that and correct the problem.

You had to create and name an import table when you imported your vB into xf. Use that table. There is no general name for the import table. You have to remember how you named it. ...
See former answer. You could have given ANY name to that table. If you get an error selecting a table it is the wrong one.
Thanks.

Ok, I have an inquiry in as to how that is handled. It would be nice to know exactly where the file name is placed, is it something you can (incorrectly) leave blank, and what the screen looks like.

If that can be improved, I may redo the import, after a redo of the DNS. (Basically, no data has changed, both forums are still on their respective hosts. Of course, there is a certain amount of setup with firewall, etc.)

Apparently Xenforo scanned for the right extensions in the directory, but neither is a real import table. Yet one looked like it was loaded up with thread numbers.

=================

This error suggests that you do not have the files of this add-on in place where they need to be. Or that the .htaccess does not work. You need to check that and correct the problem.
This problem is only on the old file urls from vBulletin, when using Google, old urls on forums, or internal urls. The new urls are accessed fine, when you use the url to access.

As to the files of this add-on, that seemed to be all automated by Xenforo, I did not do any location choices. I brought the add-on in from the archive. Xenforo did its own unzipping. Anything I should check?

Thanks for your help!

Steven

This add-on isn't working for us and I can't figure out why. It's installed, import log table is selected. Nginx server. Requests are going to the XF router, but the router isn't parsing them / redirecting them as it should be.

Example:

https://www.site.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577283 - Displays a XenForo 404 (NOT a nginx 404)

So nginx is sending the incoming requests to XF as it should be, but XF isn't recognizing them.

For what it's worth, we had these redirects working for years on XF 1.5 no problem. Only since upgrading to 2.1 and installing this add-on are we seeing a problem. Any thoughts?

Reactions: TUG
This add-on isn't working for us and I can't figure out why. It's installed, import log table is selected. Nginx server. Requests are going to the XF router, but the router isn't parsing them / redirecting them as it should be.

Example:

https://www.site.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577283 - Displays a XenForo 404 (NOT a nginx 404)

So nginx is sending the incoming requests to XF as it should be, but XF isn't recognizing them.

For what it's worth, we had these redirects working for years on XF 1.5 no problem. Only since upgrading to 2.1 and installing this add-on are we seeing a problem. Any thoughts?
I had the same experience. It does not work when your forum used to be in a sub folder. It does not strip the /forum/ out. It tries to match the link showthread.php but not /forum/showthread.php.

I have rewritten this add-on completely for my use. I'd share it but it's quite tailored to my site. I like the design of this add-on, but it's simply broken. Also, it does not even attempt to redirect media gallery links.

redirects-for-vbulletin
Yes, I've read the manual. The server is set up properly. The old URLs are going to the XF router, but the XF router isn't redirecting the way it's supposed to.

I think we're going to end up writing our own redirector scripts at forumdisplay.php, showthread.php, showpost.php and be done with it, since the IDs are all the same.

Yes, I've read the manual. The server is set up properly. The old URLs are going to the XF router, but the XF router isn't redirecting the way it's supposed to.

I think we're going to end up writing our own redirector scripts at forumdisplay.php, showthread.php, showpost.php and be done with it, since the IDs are all the same.

Try this one

and...

Last edited:
Another user here for whom the Xenforo redirects for vbulletin isn't working.
I'm using the case where the old VB forums are at one URL (www.kscapeowners.com/forums/) and the new XF forums are at a different URL (www.kscapeowners.com/XF/)

I've set the option>vbulletin import via the pulldown to the only option it showed (import_log_vbulletin_1);
I've put the htaccess and index.php files where they are supposed to go on the old server, edited them as directed, renamed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess, but google searches for content on my old server are still going to my old server.

While I'm finishing setting up the forum, the old forum is turned OFF via the vb acp, and the new forum is also turned off via the XF acp.

Does the old forum (or new forum) need to be turned back on for these redirects to work?

I tried making sure i was logged in as admin on both, so I expected it to work, since even when off I can get to the old content via the right URL.

Tried logging out of VB and XF to see what happened, and the redirects just produced the VB "forums are closed" screen... didn't redirect. (expected to get the XF's "forums are closed" screen).

The modified line in my index.php, located at www.kscapeforums.com/forums/ is:
Code:
$dir = '/public_html/XF';

am I supposed to have more of the URL there? That's what I see in my FTP client to retrieve the right files. I also tried '/home/public_html/XF' and that didn't work either.

Appreciate any help/advice...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Once you have the XF version finalized and do your final import, your vBulletin version will cease to exist.

Actually, since it's closed, it doesn't exist now. You're wasting time with redirecting on the vBulletin end. You only need the vBulletin database. Move the old vBulletin forum to a new location for now just as backup, and forget about redirecting in that directory.

Just finish your XF version, move it to /forums/ if that's where you want it, and let the redirect plugin take over from there.

Thanks for reply @djbaxter. Will do that if I must, but the instructions specifically mention it's possible to leave your old VB in place, set up the XF in a new directory, and configure the redirects to work properly.

I do have reasons for wanting to leave the VB system online and available just for admins (not for any other users since I obviously want all new content to be done in the XF world.

Do you have the old files clear... I had files (forumdisplay.php etc) still in the directory... are they deleted?

Do you have the old files clear... I had files (forumdisplay.php etc) still in the directory... are they deleted?
haven't deleted anything. the full vb installation is at /public_html/forums/ and the new XF installation is at /public_html/XF/

Why not rename your vBulletin directory to /public_html/vbulletin/? You can still access it there as you wish (just change the base URL) but block it from all guests both within vBulletin and in .htaccess. In fact you can leave that forum turned off entirely; admins can still access it. No redirects necessary for the vBulletin forum at all. That way you'll stop confusing Google. Your admins will still know how to find it. No one else needs to know that.

Then turn ON the XF forum to allow the redirect add-on to work and you should be good to go.

By the way, is there a reason you don't have the XF forum in the root?

suffering thru this now, cant believe its not mentioned that all the old showthread/forumdisplay links from vbulletin are suddenly no longer functional after upgrading to 2.0 from 1.5.

is there truly any way to solve this as the provided tool does nothing for me and the limited instructions dont provide any assistance either.

server uses apache, installation folder has not changed since vbulletin installation. but instead of a 404 error, all my old links go to a "xenforo upgrade" page asking visitors to log in with the admin account and password. super cool functionality!

Last edited:
Top Bottom