XenForo on PHP7

For XF2? Yes, probably. (The more people who test XF2 with PHP 7.2 the better).

For XF 1.5.14? No. You will need to wait until XF 1.5.15 is released.

cPanel Added support to Install php 7.2 , Can we use PHP 7.2 without any issue?
Considering that 7.2 is still in RC status, and they fly a VERY HIGHLIGHTED
THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT PREVIEW - DO NOT USE IT IN PRODUCTION!
as the third line in their release notice, I'd be very hesitant about using it on a LIVE site..... unless you like being on the bleeding edge and donating blood every now and then.
A development/test site would be a different matter.

Unfortunately that's the very attitude that makes it impossible for software developers to ever push the boundary of minimum PHP and MySQL versions. Depending on which stats you look at, roughly 30% of sites are still running PHP versions 5.2 to 5.4. I'm sure that situation is very much born out of a similar attitude.

Ignore that advice. Instead, as long as the software you have installed which uses PHP supports it, you absolutely should upgrade.

You're absolutely safe and I'd even go as far as to recommend using PHP 7.1 right now in XF 1.5.14. Come XF 1.5.15 and XF 2.0, you're safe to and I'd recommend using PHP 7.2 as soon as it is stable.

Well, indeed. I was mostly focusing on the idea of not just sticking on a particular version regardless of improvements but, naturally, they aren't releasing new versions for the sake of it, there's obviously some improvement whether that be in stability, performance or feature set. @eva2000 perfectly demonstrates the performance aspect.

Well, I come from the perspective of having a level of knowledge and familiarity with website management in general to make me "dangerous"...I learn as needed, but I if I were to "live on the edge" and something started acting wacky, I can easily get lost, and I don't have the time for that.

If I was knee deep in it at a level where I was partially "employed" so to speak (i.e. making money running a server, supporting sites for others, etc) then yes I would push the envelope. But for me, it's better to leave that to others, which will certainly do that.

I wasn't suggesting that no one should run anything beyond php7. It's just that for me, it's best to keep the potential problems at a minimum.

Well, I come from the perspective of having a level of knowledge and familiarity with website management in general to make me "dangerous"...I learn as needed, but I if I were to "live on the edge" and something started acting wacky, I can easily get lost, and I don't have the time for that.

If I was knee deep in it at a level where I was partially "employed" so to speak (i.e. making money running a server, supporting sites for others, etc) then yes I would push the envelope. But for me, it's better to leave that to others, which will certainly do that.

I wasn't suggesting that no one should run anything beyond php7. It's just that for me, it's best to keep the potential problems at a minimum.
Installing centmin, you can in just few minutes upgrade to newest php/nginx, and than if something is wrong, just downgrade to past version, also in couple of minutes.
If anything got wrong, there is @eva2000 who will help you, and if he is sleeping, maybe other centmin users could help you.

Of course, you have to have installed nginx

Top Bottom