1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo on PHP7

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Alfa1, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

I see that various people are experimenting with PHP7. @pegasus and @eva2000 @RoldanLT have been looking into it.
    PHP7 introduces a 70 percent performance improvement.
    See here for a comparison between PHP 7 and HHVM: https://community.centminmod.com/th...port-testing-for-centmin-mod-betas.892/page-3

rafass, Puntocom and dieketzer like this.
  2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Yes if you're not using this modules:
    • igbinary
    • imagick
    • memcache
    • memcached
    Your good to go with PHP 7 ;)

rafass and Puntocom like this.
  3. pegasus

pegasus Well-Known Member

The only module I am using with it is Zend Opcache. I have noticed that the memcache(d) extensions haven't really offered any performance benefit (sometimes a hit) in my case since PHP 5.4, so I was not hesitant to drop them.

In particular I am struggling with one PHP 7 issue that started due to a particular commit (after using PHP 7 almost problem-free for several months), which now causes PHP to hang on many pages on my site. Even with all extensions (including Zend Opcache) removed, the only variants that work for me now are compiled with debug symbols. This is not a solution, since debug symbols are actually about a 100% performance hit compared to PHP 5.6.

I am still waiting to hear more debugging suggestions from the PHP devs, but it seems that right now they are just perplexed by this.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    RoldanLT likes this.
  4. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

Memcached is a must-have for me, I can't use PHP 7 just yet.

5. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

I thought php 7.0 is not ready for a live production site. Did this change or are you just taking a step to the edge?

Regardless, I'd love to see performance differences between 5.5.9, 5.6, and 7.0.

6. RoldanLT

Yes, still on development mode.

7. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

Where is 6.0 in this story?

8. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Internal Beta/Alpha (or something like that). Not for public.

9. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

This should answer your question:

Moshe1010 likes this.
  10. DroidOne

DroidOne Well-Known Member

Marcus likes this.
  11. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm using PHP7 on one of my machines at the moment. Though I think it's beta 1 or 2.

We've made some changes in recent XF 1.5 builds to ensure compatibility with PHP7. I'm actually using PHP7 on one of my dev machines at the moment - seems pretty stable to be honest.

Lemminator, Puntocom, eva2000 and 2 others like this.
  12. RoldanLT

I tried 7.0 Beta3 on my Live Forum just yesterday, but it crash my Live Forum :(.
    I have 34 addons, might be some of my addons are incompatible :-(.

DroidOne likes this.
  13. Chris D

Might be worth trying to confirm which add-on caused that - also if any error messages. Obviously if there is anything else we need to change in XF we'd likely want to do that ASAP :)

KeVo likes this.
  14. RoldanLT

I will try again, once PHP 7 release the final 7.0.0 :).

15. Chris D

Trying it beforehand might be beneficial, if you have a test server. I'm sure whoever's code is responsible for the crash might want the opportunity to fix it before more people start using PHP 7.

16. RoldanLT

I will setup a test box :)
    With latest data of my live forum.

DroidOne and eva2000 like this.
  17. DroidOne

DroidOne Well-Known Member

I'll also give it a go with our ~40+ add-ons. Maybe try and compose a list with troublesome/incompatible add-ons? Will probably hold for the RC though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  18. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

Imho it would be better to wait until XenForo 2.0 to upgrade to PHP7. At that moment PHP7 will be stable and officially supported plus the new add-ons being written for 2.0 will have compatibility for PHP7 as a must.

If you upgrade to PHP7 RC1 or whatever version of PHP7 using XenForo 1.5 you might have a very hard time trying to check whether each one of your add-ons works fine. It is just too much work...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    fEaRz, D.O.A. and Alex - A2Hosting like this.
  19. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

Php7 beta 2 ran fine on my forum.

Earl and Alfa1 like this.
  20. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Will memcache(d) and imagick eventually work with PHP 7?