xenForo - Local host software

JVCode

After trying countless times to install xenforo on wampserver(latest) without success, I decided to try a different solution. I downloaded and installed xampp (win 7 64-bit) and it worked first time without problems.

Anyone else have other local solutions that work without issue?

I have used XAMPP for years, glad to hear it works with XenForo as I haven't had a chance to install mine yet.

Windows:
XAMPP, WAMP

Mac:
MAMP (or install php on the existing Apache)

Linux:
Manual however you can get XAMPP

I managed to get it working under XAMPP. I did have problems with the 'Error has occured... button" (with no button visible) problem but it did install on the third or fourth attempt.

Windows:
XAMPP, WAMP

Mac:
MAMP (or install php on the existing Apache)

Linux:
Manual however you can get XAMPP

I ran into the tables error every time with WAMP, do you have modules other than default loaded, if so, could you post them please ?

I ran into the tables error every time with WAMP, do you have modules other than default loaded, if so, could you post them please ?
I dont actually use it anymore ....used to use it a few years ago but am on a Mac now so use MAMP.

I wasn't able to install it on MAMP for some reason, it kept saying that the database was already populated (never tried clicking more than once on the install button), not sure if it was the browser or the server itself, it installed fine on my online servers.

I run a headless Linux VM using Vagrant: http://www.vagrantup.com/

It takes some time to setup, but in the end I have a exact replication of our server setup that I can spin up in a few minutes on any machine. No surprises when pushing things to production :)

Reactions: rdn
Why does everyone use packaged software?

Just install everything manually and make sure it works together...

I've got everything installed separately on my Ubuntu laptop, my Mac came with Apache - I installed php with it.

Everything works...

Because for some people it's just easier.
Just install everything manually and make sure it works together...
I've got everything installed separately on my Ubuntu laptop, my Mac came with Apache - I installed php with it.
Everything works...
And even easier is install VirtualBox and set up a VM for your flavor(s) of choice and install it there. That way, if something craps out, you don't take a chance on screwing the pooch on your system. Redoing a VM is much easier than re-installing your desktop operating system and all associated programs. ;)

To avoid the nightmare of properly upgrading or uninstalling software and their dependencies. Not to mention tampering with tarballs maliciously linked from obscure sources.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom