1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xenForo - Local host software

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by JVCode, Oct 6, 2010.

1. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

After trying countless times to install xenforo on wampserver(latest) without success, I decided to try a different solution. I downloaded and installed xampp (win 7 64-bit) and it worked first time without problems.

Anyone else have other local solutions that work without issue?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have used XAMPP for years, glad to hear it works with XenForo as I haven't had a chance to install mine yet.
  3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

4. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

MAMP (or install php on the existing Apache)

Manual however you can get XAMPP
  5. crossovernetwork

crossovernetwork Active Member

I managed to get it working under XAMPP. I did have problems with the 'Error has occured... button" (with no button visible) problem but it did install on the third or fourth attempt.
  6. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

I ran into the tables error every time with WAMP, do you have modules other than default loaded, if so, could you post them please ?
  7. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

I dont actually use it anymore ....used to use it a few years ago but am on a Mac now so use MAMP.
  8. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to install it on MAMP for some reason, it kept saying that the database was already populated (never tried clicking more than once on the install button), not sure if it was the browser or the server itself, it installed fine on my online servers.
  9. farmglitch

farmglitch Active Member

I use xampp no problems so far.
  10. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

I run a headless Linux VM using Vagrant: http://www.vagrantup.com/

It takes some time to setup, but in the end I have a exact replication of our server setup that I can spin up in a few minutes on any machine. No surprises when pushing things to production :)
    RoldanLT likes this.
  11. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

12. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

For Mac type people:

I have been tempted to try this. But very loyal to Zend Server at the moment as it has been working flawlessly for me for years.
  13. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Why does everyone use packaged software?

Just install everything manually and make sure it works together...

I've got everything installed separately on my Ubuntu laptop, my Mac came with Apache - I installed php with it.

Everything works...
  14. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Because for some people it's just easier.
    And even easier is install VirtualBox and set up a VM for your flavor(s) of choice and install it there. That way, if something craps out, you don't take a chance on screwing the pooch on your system. Redoing a VM is much easier than re-installing your desktop operating system and all associated programs. ;)
  15. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

To avoid the nightmare of properly upgrading or uninstalling software and their dependencies. Not to mention tampering with tarballs maliciously linked from obscure sources.
    Xon likes this.