1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xenForo - Impressions so far...

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Princeton, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

I have to say that I'm very impressed with what I see so far.

I like the simplistic approach w/ smaller footprint. But I'm a bit worried that many of the familiar forum UI components/features will be left out.

I DO want xenForo to be different but I also want it to make sense to my members.

Yes, I'm aware that adding the familiar forum UI components will add "bloat" to the software. However, I believe some kind of balance is needed to ensure a successful transformation (upgrade) from forum software X to xenForo.

I know it's too early but I'm really missing...
    • status icons
    • tags
    • social bookmarks
    • paid subscriptions (could be available just not enabled)

and I haven't even explored everything yet

2. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

I think these things should be added to, but not in the first version yet.

Those things can wait.

3. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Post icons aren't coming back from what I've read, and there is a payment thing (currently integrated with PayPal at the moment).

4. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

actually if you didn't mention those items I wouldn't have noticed they're missing hehe

5. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

oh but you would have - sooner or later you will find things 'missing'

6. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I LOVE the software, despite my limited use so far. But it does feel incomplete with regards to those 'classic' features you expect to see on every forum. I think Kier and Mike have looked at everything and thought about what they feel will work. I can understand dropping post icons - few people use them, and they serve no major purpose on the community. No doubt a modder will release an addon for this.

All I'm really missing is the 'advanced' bbcode editor on 'new thread' and 'more options (reply)'. I've never been a fan of TinyMCE - its a bloated mess (imo). I would really like to see more of an IPB/vB style editor. I'm not so bothered about the quick reply one though...it does it's job.

7. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

• status icons (not coming back)
    • tags (Agreed)
    • social bookmarks (been confirmed that more Social integration is coming)
    • paid subscriptions (been confirmed there is a system that accepts paypal)