2.2 beta 1 first impressions

Installed a local copy of a live site, and if it weren't for a couple of Themehouse styles and one of their addon's (Reactions Plus completely wrecks the site), I could more than likely get away with upgrading the live site. And I have a lot of addon's, a few dozen of them, so I'm a little surprised that I didn't run into more problems than I did.

Been playing with beta 2 in my dev, and have set up an article forum as a kind of shared blog space. Love what I have been able to do with it. Posted my latest story (I am an amateur fiction writer among other things). 2100ish words with a cover image and it looks mostly lovely. I can see where the display of the full article could use some tweaks but I am mostly happy and will look to see if I can make them myself. Activated GIPHY with a test key (I'll worry about getting a production key when I take this live) and have been playing with it. Will have to put it at PG-13 tops given our forum rules. R might cause some upsets, much as I know there's some GIPHY contributors with R-rated GIFs that I am a fan of. Been doing some other tweaking and tinkering to see how things work. I think the new thread and forums types alone are worth the effort of the upgrade for me.

@Chris D you plan other features for the next betas? Because for bigger forums we need to know when we can start working things out to make the upgrade, at least to plan things out better. Or the features of the next version are set and Beta 3 and 4 etc will be just polishing ones?

To close the loop on this thread. I have been running 2.2 on my dev right through all the betas with 0 issues. I have tested and developed some plans around implementing the new features. My main add-on and my style have been updated by their respective developers. I have been running a "Coming Soon" feature in my Tips & Techniques forum to get people ready.

So, tomorrow I pull the trigger on Xenforo 2.2. Good job, Xenforo. Looks like a winner.

To close the loop on this thread. I have been running 2.2 on my dev right through all the betas with 0 issues. I have tested and developed some plans around implementing the new features. My main add-on and my style have been updated by their respective developers. I have been running a "Coming Soon" feature in my Tips & Techniques forum to get people ready.

So, tomorrow I pull the trigger on Xenforo 2.2. Good job, Xenforo. Looks like a winner.
Good luck! Wish I could, but still have to wait on a couple devs to update their addons: they make a good case for why third-party devs should probably be putting out updates by RC releases at the latest, so that they can get feedback and have their stuff ready by final release, rather than waiting till the last minute. But anyway, hopefully soon I can join the party. :cool:

Top Bottom