XenForo - Evaluation copy

Changes

Hi there,

just loving this new forum. Been on vb for a long time, and this looks realy good.

BUT i miss:

- Taggings
- Prefixes

Also, as this is a new product, i would expect some kind of evaluation copy. I have a hard time motivating myself to buy a beta for like € 140.

I will stay tuned. Right now my vb rigg can do what i want, but i expect this product to push it aside in a very near future, if i just can see it live and test it.

Hi there,

just loving this new forum. Been on vb for a long time, and this looks realy good.

BUT i miss:

- Taggings
- Prefixes

Also, as this is a new product, i would expect some kind of evaluation copy. I have a hard time motivating myself to buy a beta for like € 140.

I will stay tuned. Right now my vb rigg can do what i want, but i expect this product to push it aside in a very near future, if i just can see it live and test it.

Stable version is very soon, with rumors flying about it being released in the next two weeks :)

The problem with an evaluation copy is that it opens it up to huge abuse. Whats to stop someone using it without a license?! Personally the price was worth it for us even if it didnt work out. Anythings better than having to upgrade to vB4! We did consider using IPB and were about to buy a license until XenForo was announced!

I'm also sure there will be a decent admin demo online soon once an official release is made.

I can see all these argument of course. But remember how id became famous: The DooM shareware!

We are looking at a completely new product here, and the competition is tuff, a completely different scene now from when vb came around. I want to have a product with a larg community of users. vbulletin.org is just such an enourmous resouce for us admins, and a reason alone to buy vb in the first place. Without this massive support, xf can´t - in the long run - have a life.

For this reason, i wish this product reaches as many users as possible, and soon too.

Of course there will be infringements. That happens to everyone. But hey, all publicity is good publicity!

PS You don´t have to look very far for a nulled xf beta. But i refuse to go down that road. DS

I can see all these argument of course. But remember how id became famous: The DooM shareware!

We are looking at a completely new product here, and the competition is tuff, a completely different scene now from when vb came around. I want to have a product with a larg community of users. vbulletin.org is just such an enourmous resouce for us admins, and a reason alone to buy vb in the first place. Without this massive support, xf can´t - in the long run - have a life.

For this reason, i wish this product reaches as many users as possible, and soon too.

Of course there will be infringements. That happens to everyone. But hey, all publicity is good publicity!

PS You don´t have to look very far for a nulled xf beta. But i refuse to go down that road. DS

xenfans has an admin demo if I recalled correctly.

Ok, i get it. You don´t like the idea of a eval copy. Too bad, but no big deal.

Just be aware that..... yeah, you know what i mean.

He is saying that it is currently in beta stage, before it's even version 1.
And that their focus is to get customer feedback to further develop their beta to a stable product.
And that their further company services, products and features are becoming the focus point AFTER it goes stable.

He is not saying he doesn't want to give you an evaluation copy. One is simply not available. Nor can the company at this point promise you if a future demo is a) going to happen, b) going to be a hosted solution, or c) a downloadable encoded solution, or d) a downloadable visible source time limited solution.

With the encoding easily being bypassed, and with the product being visible source, a hosted solution is a realistic solution.

If the latter is not what you're looking for and that's causing them a sale, or your attitude to appear like you result to a pirated copy; that's your loss - not theirs.

You can't blame a company for doing their best, and more, while protecting their copyrighted work at the same time.

"just be aware" .. I take that as a poorly chosen sentence, rather than a well, you know .. threat.

Sorry if i offended someone, that was not my intention at all - i have high hops for this product that looks and feels really good, and ofcourse i want to be onboard with my own license and migrate my current vb boards, if development continues. But not just yet.

None of the other brands have an eval version, no. BUT:

- phpbb is free
- ipb can be found free of charge at some hosts

As i said earlier, the competition is tough.

And btw, did i say i have a nulled version? No, i didn´t so please, don´t make any such suggestions.

Lower you guards, guys.

Just be aware that..... yeah, you know what i mean.

Lower you guards, guys.

...people on the web are very creative.

You may not have intended on raising peoples defences but you have given it a really good go, you are coming across in a really creepy and seemingly threatening manner.

An evaluation copy eh, well yeah it would be nice if we could have everything our own way wouldn't it, I wouldn't pay any more taxes for one that's for sure, the guys developing this platform are just a few guys with some hopes for a future and sod all money to get themselves there, get ya wallet out and buy a license, show some true grit mate.

You wont regret it, that's for sure. ;)

Sorry, but so far we've not found the competition to be "tough" at all. XenForo is new, innovative and creative, while retaining its' simplistic look.
You'll find this out when you get a chance to look under the hood.

Again, you can find an admin cp demo at xenfans.com.
The main reason that there is no evaluation copy here, is that since it is in beta (RC, soon to be released stable version), things are in a constant state of change. Once the stable version has been released, I'm pretty certain that an online eval copy will be made available.

Ok, Peggy,that sound very good. Maybe i wasn´t so far off after all.

Are you on the XenForo team btw?
Yep Floris is right. I used to be a moderator here, but stepped down from staff for, what you might call, personal reasons.

However I was part of XenForo from the beginning, and I am still very enthusiastic about the software, still have every confidence in the developers, and am very excited about the future of this software and the company behind it. :)

Top Bottom