XenForo e-commerce discussion

DragonByte Tech

no hash-tagging, no ecommerce solution
I know you said you're still on 1.5, but if you ever decide to make the plunge to XF2, there's always these solutions:
[DBTech] DragonByte User Tagging
[DBTech] DragonByte eCommerce

If I was to hazard a guess - bearing in mind I do not work for XenForo so I have no way to know how they decide which 1st party add-ons to produce - the reason why they haven't created a 1st party eCommerce tool is that it has limited use. I would wager that the percentage of forums that have no use for an eCommerce tool is vastly larger than the percentage of forums that do have a use for an eCommerce tool.

On the flip-side, the percentage of forums that would have some use for a Media Gallery and/or Resource Manager / download repository (without payment) is probably larger than the percentage of forums that have no use for such tools.
Every forum could probably benefit from having a gallery (gaming forums: game screenshots. car forum: ...well, cars. etc).

I totally understand how frustrating it can be to have to go to 500 different sites to buy 500 different products rather than just being able to have everything you need as a 1st party solution, but I think it's important to look at a potential lack of ROI as part of a reason why they might not have created such a 1st party tool yet.

I think this could be an interesting discussion, so if it's something you want to discuss further we should probably take it to another subforum so as to not derail this thread too much :D

Fillip

The eCommerce suggestion has 65 likes, https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ing-monetizing-ads-subs-affiliate-etc.131644/ so it is a semi popular suggestion, but people are not pounding down the doors to support it.

That is like building a completely new platform when dozens of solutions already exist. What they need to build is a wordpress bridge so you can use wordpress/woocommerce and not build a massive new project that will take a year for them to create.

That is like building a completely new platform when dozens of solutions already exist. What they need to build is a wordpress bridge so you can use wordpress/woocommerce and not build a massive new project that will take a year for them to create.

Having e-commerce in the core of a forum makes no sense. Even Wordpress who (correct me if i’m Wrong) now own Woocommerce don’t have it in the core.

I would really support a wordpress bridge in the core though, and use woocommerce. It already has many many shipping pricing and tax options by itself or via plugins that I doubt would exist to such an extent with s core xenforo ecommerce

In 2018 these items should already be included in the xenforo core
True eCommerce would not be needed by many. If anything, maybe a first party add-on, but even then the adoption would probably not be that high as it's a niche need in most cases. Then you have the fact that the return on investment (time to produce) would most likely not cover the development costs.
A bridge to an existing eCommerce package or WordPress would be a better solution and used by more.

True eCommerce would not be needed by many. If anything, maybe a first party add-on, but even then the adoption would probably not be that high as it's a niche need in most cases. Then you have the fact that the return on investment (time to produce) would most likely not cover the development costs.
XF needs a XF2 shopping cart with invoices for their license sales. They might as well release it. And honestly, I'd like to see a shopping cart with invoices for account upgrades, purchasable items & ads.

XF needs a XF2 shopping cart with invoices for their license sales. They might as well release it. And honestly, I'd like to see a shopping cart with invoices for account upgrades, purchasable items & ads.
As I have said earlier.... if you took a poll of ALL license holders, a shopping cart most likely would be WAY down on the list of needs/wants. It remains a niche item for most.

As I have said earlier.... if you took a poll of ALL license holders, a shopping cart most likely would be WAY down on the list of needs/wants. It remains a niche item for most.
Not all license holders run a business, many of the people here run there forums for a hobby or a little extra side income, people like me and alfa1 actually depend on xenforo for the day to day running of our businesses...

Not all license holders run a business, many of the people here run there forums for a hobby or a little extra side income, people like me and alfa1 actually depend on xenforo for the day to day running of our businesses...
And that only re-enforces my comment that it would be a niche type requirement. A better ROI would be a CMS type project instead of a eCommerce package. There are already plenty of high quality packages out that do commerce, and a bridge to them would be more cost efficient.
But this is veering off-topic and probably should be addressed elsewhere.

Last edited:
i dont know what eCommerce and shoping plugin/add on had to do with this thread?
Nothing. Its best suited in a separate thread. Hopefully it can be split. But IMO its not only about an ecommerce or shopping solution. IMO a simple solution to buy multiple account upgrades would be useful to many.

Last edited:
Top Bottom