XF 1.4 Xenforo Copyright, Can I edit?

Ablac

Currently the Xenforo Copyright looks like
Code:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.
Which is normally located on the Bottem left of the Xenforo Installation, In an attempt to make my site look cleaner I have been modifying my Footer, and have removed the Buttons in the footer (Contact Us, Help, Home, Top, and the RSS Feed) and moved the Copyright notice to there former location on the Bottem Left.

I am wondering now if I can change the Copyright notice from:
Code:
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.
----TO----
Code:
XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.

I believe it no longer is the case that is possible. A few months ago I had a similar problem when I translated the disclaimer (older version allowed to directly edit it), and they made me revert it to the original.
If I udnerstood correctly, the matching text is an indication of a valid copy of Xenforo, otehrwise your forum appears in their flagged list.
Anyway, I'm just a members, so I suppose it is best you wait for more answers.

Ya i read the License Agreement, and it states that you must display an Unaltered version of the Copyright unless other arrangements have been made with Xenforo Ltd.

And its such a minor change I'm hopping they will allow it :)

Ya i read the License Agreement, and it states that you must display an Unaltered version of the Copyright unless other arrangements have been made with Xenforo Ltd.

And its such a minor change I'm hopping they will allow it :)

They won't allow the change. The license agreement states that it must be unaltered.

If you want to alter it, then you are able to pay for the copyright removal.

If one person wants to make a minor change to it, they will have to allow everyone to make a minor change. ;)

They won't allow the change. The license agreement states that it must be unaltered.

If you want to alter it, then you are able to pay for the copyright removal.

If one person wants to make a minor change to it, they will have to allow everyone to make a minor change. ;)

Your prob right, how much they have changed over the years.

Yes, they have changed so much.

Oh wait. The license agreement has always been explicit on the subject:

All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.
Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20101006201459/http://xenforo.com/license-agreement/ (Dated nearly 4 years ago, excuse the styling, highlight the text to read it).

So, they haven't changed at all where this is concerned.

It would make sense that the structure must contain "Forum software by XenForo" in that particular order, otherwise there's no context to the Copyright.

You could probably get away with "Proudly using" before the "Forum software by XenForo" to make things more interesting, but I think that's about as much as you'll get away with before you get nagged for not having the appropriate Copyright notice.

That is still not permitted.

To clarify, the XenForo copyright must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times.

I honestly don't think it would come across as altering? They are not changing the copyright phrase or any part of the template that makes up the copyright.

Some addon's tack their copyright to the right of the Xenforo copyright. This is done outside the actual copyright div and is in no way altering it. This is to the right rather than the left but its basically modifying the area visually. I don't see how adding to that area without modifying, obsuring, etc at all is usually going to be a problem.

I wouldn't expect a fuss raised if I replaced the style chooser with "Powered By" and had all of my addon's copyrights showing (for example apparently we have branding free on XMG but I could leave it turned on). If that would fly since its in no way modifying the copyright, would to the left of it still not touching the copyright actually be different?

Serious question though no intention. I think you can see where I am coming from and where someone elses actual intent would be. Its obvious up to the license and the license issuer. But if addon's can tack their copyrights directly onto it and thats okay it doesn't seem like some other things are possible.

I wouldn't expect a fuss raised if I replaced the style chooser with "Powered By"
I would. I wouldn't expect that to be acceptable at all. XenForo wants it to read "Forum software by XenForo" not "Powered By Forum software by XenForo". For a start, it isn't consistent in letter casing. Technically it does change the wording and specifically the way the copyright message is read. An additional copyright message in the same area is still clear that it is a separate message and hasn't altered the way that the XenForo one reads.

I would. I wouldn't expect that to be acceptable at all. XenForo wants it to read "Forum software by XenForo" not "Powered By Forum software by XenForo". For a start, it isn't consistent in letter casing. Technically it does change the wording and specifically the way the copyright message is read. An additional copyright message in the same area is still clear that it is a separate message and hasn't altered the way that the XenForo one reads.

Since you quoted just the first example I provide you with a quick example playing with the object inspector for 3 seconds:
upload_2014-9-2_4-26-20.webp

So yes we have a good argument for why still not to the left. But in my other example I literally meant replacing the style chooser with Powered By. Threw in your lot of copyrights as an example of the rest. Obviously if someone wanted to do it like that it needs more ketchup :p

Someone might want to do something like that. Worth finding out if thats okay even if the to the left instead argument is dead.

I can't speak for XenForo but that should be ok. It's not directly changing the content or context of the copyright message.

I had visions of someone doing this:

upload_2014-9-2_9-31-36.webp

You can do what you like to the rest of the page.
The copyright however cannot be altered.

See that's where the confusion sets in the statement is cookie cutter. If the copyright isn't altered... seems like it's still not okay to do certain things to the area around it :p Obviously people should just get over it and do nothing. For the sake of discussion I have it some thought and asked what might have been the right questions.

I can't speak for XenForo but that should be ok. It's not directly changing the content or context of the copyright message.
I had visions of someone doing this:
View attachment 82597

Thats what the one guy was basically suggesting. But my way around that would be to put it above and its clearly out of the area but still doing basically what someone might want.

Personally I am the kind of guy that loves to show off what I am running. Version numbers aside of course.

Best protest your install page then if you don't want people to know what version you are running. ;)

Oh and you are running your side with debug mode enabled, which isn't a good idea.

Fixed :p Was working on a template modification on the live site. I am aware on the first matter. Not my site but yeah I saw the discussion the other day.

Im running whatever plugin it was to enable/disable through the ACP. Normally I IP whitelist the debug.

See that's where the confusion sets in
How can there possibly be any confusion?

To quote the license once more...
All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.

Top Bottom