XenForo.com aggressively conservative simultaneous connection limit?

Xon

In the last week or so, XenForo.com/community has started dropping connections if I open more than ~5 links within ~5-10 seconds or so.

This is especially annoying as it often causes CSS to fail to load if you open more than 3-4 pages at once.

Working fine here, I just opened ~20 pages in 10 seconds or so and every one loaded correctly.

I can't say I've had any issues either. Browsers will generally only make 6 (or 8) connections to a server simultaneously -- I presume that applies across tabs/windows as well as it'd be a bit pointless otherwise to be honest.

I will say that while we do have some simultaneous connection limit configurations, they're not new in the last week and they're above "normal" levels.

Weird. This happens to me with Windows 8.1 + IE11 (work) and Windows 7 + IE11 (home) from different ISPs.

I'm seeing the connection being aborted, and the F12 dev tools don't report enough to diagnose them. Openning 10 tabs, and telling IE11 to reload all tabs reliable causes one or two tabs to fail to load the page at all.

Weird. This happens to me with Windows 8.1 + IE11 (work) and Windows 7 + IE11 (home) from different ISPs.

I'm seeing the connection being aborted, and the F12 dev tools don't report enough to diagnose them. Openning 10 tabs, and telling IE11 to reload all tabs reliable causes one or two tabs to fail to load the page at all.
Have you tried something other than IE to see if it's some sort of connection throttling IE is doing?

I know old browsers would limit to 4 connections per sub-domain to not overload the servers. Maybe IE still does something like that.

Clearing cache/cookies doesn't help either.

Seems expected..
I'm seeing it happen with refreshing 4 tabs and URLs start to fail.

Have you tried something other than IE to see if it's some sort of connection throttling IE is doing?
It is working on other XenForo sites with connection request limits, it is just XenForo.com I'm seeing the issue with.

I know old browsers would limit to 4 connections per sub-domain to not overload the servers. Maybe IE still does something like that.
IE11 does 6 requests per host, and will queue any more connection requests.

Maybe you're on the Discouraged list ;)
The (publically released) discouraged functionality doesn't cause dropped connections. Especially of avatars which are served by the webserver and by default don't go through the XenForo application stack.

I just went through the first page of this forum opening each thread in a new tab as fast as possible - no issues. Try (vanilla, no mods) chrome or firefox and see if you get the same results

Top Bottom