Xenforo And Vbulletin: Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vstevenphan

I've created a new forum, but I didn't know which is better between Xenforo and Vbulletin
I need a source :
+ Have nice skins
+ Many add-ons (shop,credits,..)
+ Be fast to load pages
+ Good for SEO
+ Update usually
+ Have a large community to help each other
Please help me

Xenforo seems to have many add-ons needed to pay
I can't find any credit and shop add-ons which are free and work effectively on my site

Look at the poll, you're right. I'm going to get biased view here @@
If you are wanting all free stuff, then take a look at myBB then. For the better quality add-ons you will normally pay (those that take a LOT of programming time). Usually once you get into the paid forum software scripts you kinda expect to have to pay for the bigger add-ons - not to say that there at not some good ones for xenForo that aren't free.

IMO Try demo of all the paid software and decide which you want.

Xenforo is best: Have used IPB and vB both. The only thing I would like to see in XF is time based view new content like IPB.

Just going with the two products you listed.

vB has the largest quantity of addons, as such a large number of them are free (and many also likely abandoned and not receiving updates). It also has a fair amount of good skins, but the load times leave much to be desired, especially in their recent vB 5. Honestly, I would avoid vB because of that; if you want to run a solid forum with access to most of the addons that have been released over the years, you'll need to install vB 4 which is no longer receiving major updates (still receiving security fixes, and MAYBE bugfixes, not sure on their version lifecycle). Major version upgrades (like 4 -> 5) cost money, although there is no yearly fee to keep your license active (although there IS a fee if you want to keep phone/ticket support active, you only get 30 days of it free with a new license purchase).

xenForo has a lot of very solid addons, quite a few of which paid but of all the paid addons I've purchased so far, they've been incredibly quality products. I find xenForo to be much faster and I also like the default skin a lot more, as well as quite a few of the custom ones. As long as you have an active license (yearly renewal fee) you have access to all current and future versions of xenForo (even major version upgrades) as well as ticket support.

Both have large communities, I find xenForo's to be much more helpful and friendly (consider this: vB's licensed customer feedback forums aren't visible unless you're a customer -- try to guess why). As far as update frequency is concerned, that's really not a metric you can use to accurately compare things. People update software when there are actually enough things done that merit releasing a new version for, this is the culmination of months of development usually on various aspects and as such it depends on the size of the development team and what actually goes into each update. Additionally, while a small board might be fine with updating immediately every time one is shipped, updating larger boards tends to not be so easy, as the update may break custom addons/modifications, it requires possibly scheduling downtime, etc. so having them too frequent would just result in boards skipping updates. For security fixes (as opposed to feature/bugfix updates), those tend to be shipped very quickly no matter who is concerned and usually take less work to apply.

We are all biased here :)

I came from vB though, and I like the feel of xenForo better. More Ajax here as well, and developing is more advanced (which means more better addons).

Liam

I've created a new forum, but I didn't know which is better between Xenforo and Vbulletin
I need a source :
+ Have nice skins
+ Many add-ons (shop,credits,..)
+ Be fast to load pages
+ Good for SEO
+ Update usually
+ Have a large community to help each other
Please help me
vBulletin
phpBB
MyBB
Vanilla Forum
SMF
IP.Board

I've used all of these (and more), but have over time converted almost all my sites to XenForo. For me support with a good balance of free and paid add-ons was important. I didn't want to be nickel & dime`d for everything like I was on IPB & I was tired of the dead end vBulletin had become.

I wrote up a complete detail review with my experience with XenForo thus far. It covers everything from the development here, the 3rd party developers, the level of support from both, and the community here.

I think it will be good read for you http://xenforo.com/community/threads/my-2013-review-of-xenforo.51078/

My first post but not new to forum software. I ran the XF demo and am impressed by its clean nicely laid out menus. I hope to be an XF customer soon ;)

vB is a has been now. It is as good as dead. You will spare yourself a lot of grief by staying as far away as possible from vb.

XenForo is the hot thing now in the forum world. But as mentioned above check out the demo sites and that will speak for itself which is better. Also a quick browse through the official forums would help too.

Paul was definitely right on there being biased views here. :)

Anyway, any forum software out there has both pros and contras. It's all a matter of what suits your needs. I find the styling to be easier on vBulletin, but that's most likely because I've been working with style variables since I became an administrator on KH-Flare on September 10, 2011.

Personally, I like both vBulletin and XenForo equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom