XenForo AJAX Tutorial

Is it just me or does Kier repeat himself in the beggining about the overlays not being apparent :confused:

Is it just me or does Kier repeat himself in the beggining about the overlays not being apparent :confused:
That is entirely possible... there were multiple takes for this video. I'll review it and correct if there's a problem.

Haha, yes you're right. Now to see if I can edit out the duplicate... :eek:

Edit: the updated movie is uploading now. It will take a couple of hours.

they rarely work for me as well
the vid preview appears and the play button even functions. i can see the vid is 18+ minutes long, but it never actually starts streaming.

if i watch from the vimeo site however, everything functions as expected.
These videos never play for me on this site through FF, however they play from the uploaded site in FF fine http://vimeo.com/16893821

Anyway thanks for this great video :)

Nice videos... your voice sounds like a Developer's voice, whatever thats suppose to mean lol.

i hope to learn us more about using XF api's
i am php programer and i have vbulletin 4 with 600k message
i programed many add-ons for it for my site only
i hope to get enough knowledge about XF to programe same add-ons for it to prepare it for moving after XF get (blogs, social groups)

Kier, thanks again for putting this guide together... but I have a question on how to use this with submission data... The example you showed does not send any data, it only retrieves data.

How would I build this into a comment system? As well, how would you co-opt the built in pagenav system, which doesn't seem to have any "data" tags on it...

Awesome Javascript Goodness.

But then, I know how awesome Kier was with Javascript with YUI - put jQuery in his hands, and expect scarily cool things to happen.

I have a question on how to use this with submission data... The example you showed does not send any data, it only retrieves data.
That guide is coming very soon :)
Jaxel said:
How would I build this into a comment system?
For that you need to tie into form submission, the video for which I am recording right now.
Jaxel said:
As well, how would you co-opt the built in pagenav system, which doesn't seem to have any "data" tags on it...
Not sure exactly what you mean - what do you want to do with it?

That guide is coming very soon :)
For that you need to tie into form submission, the video for which I am recording right now.
Not sure exactly what you mean - what do you want to do with it?
Yea nice:)
Pls put the code into the thread with the example codes;)
It's much easier for me (bad i-net connection ;) )

I want to allow users to switch pages in a comment feed, without having to reload the page... using the pagenav.
Code:
XenForo.register('#commentFeed div.PageNav a[href]', 'MyAddOn.CommentFeedPageSwitcher');
Would do that.

Code:
XenForo.register('#commentFeed div.PageNav a[href]', 'MyAddOn.CommentFeedPageSwitcher');
Would do that.

Hopefully Jaxel got that, because you lost me. And thanks for the, uh, subtle shout out. haha. Its very good to know that it can be appended. :)

XenForo.register is actually a very handy and easy tool for unobtrusive JavaScript. Basically, it goes through all the elements on the page that match the selector in the first parameter, and instantiates the class given in the second parameter, passing the element to the constructor. Combine that with HTML5 data- attributes on the elements in question, and you can further customize each instance.

OverlayTrigger works like that as well, so all links with class="OverlayTrigger" are manipulated via JS so that clicking them shows an overlay instead of taking your browser to the page (and thus degrades nicely when JS is disabled).

OK, here's a question... if I wanted to modify the contents of a <div> based on what is selected in a form, could I modify the original code to work for what I want? Because I am building the next version of BB Code Manager that'll support an arbitrary number of required options (gotta figure out help display for that...), and replaces it... However, the description setups that I'd want to set for the replacement fields, would be different.

Top Bottom