Xenforo 2.2 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some others need thousand but what someone may need is not the case here nor something that I care about. I thing I was clear enough saying:

And other softwares have other things default that others don’t. Just because one has something dies not mean everything else has to have it. Because if that were the case, then there wouldn’t be a need for choice between different platforms to suit your needs.

Chat integration:
Matrix (riot.im)

It looks like Automattic just invested $4.6M into Vector, the creators of Matrix, to integrate it into Wordpress.

“This is huge news, not least because WordPress literally runs over 36% of the websites on today’s web – and the potential of bringing Matrix to all those users is incredible,” New Vector writes in the blog post. “Imagine if every WP site automatically came with its own Matrix room or community? Imagine if all content in WP automatically was published into Matrix as well as the web? Imagine there was an excellent Matrix client available as a WordPress plugin for embedding realtime chat into your site?”

Using XenForo we need at least a dozen of add-ons (unfortunately there are a few crappy coded ones among them) in order to transform XenForo to what Invision Community offers by default and also a quite a few hundred bucks to pay their developers (unfortunately there are a few crappy characters or awkward ones among them). Is it really worth to have to deal with all of these or to worry every day if one or more of our add-on developers quit the job tomorrow?
Can you list what features you would like to see that IC offers out of the box? I'm genuinely interested to know, because in my testing there wasn't a lot (unless a heap has changed in the new release).

Calendar comes to mind, perhaps portal posting, and better moderation / spam detection / dupe user detection out of the box. They are the only 3 things I saw that IC had over Xenforo. That said, was it worth me forking out another $40+ USD a year, PLUS 6 monthly renewal costs? Absolutely not.

That said it's also about knowing your forum and what you need/want.

For examples sake Twitch and Discord integration is not at all relevant to the discussion forum I'm building, but for others with gaming forums it might be crucial.

I can understand your thoughts about if something happens to an addon/theme developer (heck we all grow old together), but that's an unavoidable fact of life. Xenforo only has a 5-10 of employees from my understanding, so anything can happen there as well.

I think if a lot of features were put in place with the possibility of being disabled for whoever wanted it. This would be much better than looking for extras to provide the required features.

More built in features introduces more code bloat and more complexity. It also opens up the door for less compatability when a browser developer makes a change.

If Chrome/Edge/Firefox make a change, and a function of a forum that is built in relies on that, it can break things, and do so badly (Javascript / AJAX / jQuery support is just one example here).

If something breaks that is built in, it is far harder to rectify (or people get angry they've paid $xx for a function that has to be disabled or redacted).

Chat integration:
The legend Siropu already has a perfect solution for this. Seriously grab his addon and support them :)

I think the question gets answered this way:

And sort it by Downloads desc. In the first and maybe 2nd page you could get a guess of what are the features XF 2.2 will include.

TBH I want to include the features if the sort is by Rating desc. That list makes much more sense to me and shows where the forums development goes (and the path XF should walk 👀)

Ps: if the s9e media sites functionality is not included OOTB in 2.2 I really won't know what to think.

And sort it by Downloads desc. In the first and maybe 2nd page you could get a guess of what are the features XF 2.2 will include.
That is not how we decide which features are included so it is mostly not relevant.

Ps: if the s9e media sites functionality is not included OOTB in 2.2 I really won't know what to think.
s9e media sites is a collection of media sites, but it isn't really functionality in itself. XF already includes the "BB code media sites" system with a handful of media sites built in, s9e media sites adds more and probably more than we'd ever be interested in supporting. But that's why the functionality exists in the form that it does, so that people can create their own sites or install sites provided by a developer.

@Chris D If you want ideas for new features in 2.2, just look at IPS 4.5 update. It's gonna shake up the forum competition big time, as IPS 4.4 was already a very fierce competitor for XF 2.x
(I say that as a proud and satisfied owner of XF, but I'm drooling at the their coming update..)

If you have a suggestion for specific features you'd like us to consider then you'd be better to post them in the Suggestions forum. Telling us to "look at some other software" is really not helpful and really not something that we want to do as we have our own ideas for our own software just like I'm sure IPS do for theirs.

If you have a suggestion for specific features you'd like us to consider then you'd be better to post them in the Suggestions forum. Telling us to "look at some other software" is really not helpful and really not something that we want to do as we have our own ideas for our own software just like I'm sure IPS do for theirs.

Hi @Chris D , would be amazing to know what features X2.2 will have on table, so we won't spend money for premium addons.

Personally, the only feature missing from the core is social groups, and maybe an integrated calendar. Everything else should be left as add-ons to keep the core software from becoming unnecessarily bloated with features most may never use. Just my opinion.

Stay safe,
Lawrence

@Chris D
We are XF blind users, We need more support to the accessibility with screen readers
The xf1 was more accessible and it didn't need any modifications to use it.
While the xf2 needs a lot of adjustments to be easy to access by screen readers.

I'm not necessarily sure that's accurate as to the best of my recollection we have done much more in XF2 for accessibility than we did for XF1.

Either way, urgently deficient areas should be reported as bugs, "nice to have" accessibility features or issues that have a workaround should be reported as suggestions then we can look at those as time goes on.

Things new or improved in IPS4 which I would love to see or see improved upon in XF:
  1. Social groups
  2. Go back to 1
  3. Multi-Language support (Burning Board does this much better)
  4. Moderation enhancements including workflows & crowd moderation.
  5. Commerce (donations, subscriptions, monetizing)
  6. Better Search. (XFES is too basic for a paid addon. IPS search is not perfect either though)
  7. SSO
  8. Social Media Marketing
  9. SEO improvements including site speed improvements.
  10. Documents / Downloads Manager

Maybe Blogs too ?

Anyway... as I've already said in my previous post and perhaps even earlier in the thread, this isn't the best place to start throwing around ideas or discussing them because that's what our Suggestion forum is for.

But, more than anything, XF 2.2 is pretty much feature-locked at this point so you're a little late in the context of 2.2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom