XenForo 2.1 & Server Stats

I was thinking about this earlier. Being a 'newcomer' here the following thought came to mind:

Themes: Existing XF2 themes will likely work but will need minor tweaks and changes to ensure they are 100% correct
Addons: The same as themes, they may need a bit of an update to be compatible, but not by any means a full rewrite

I am basing this on the theory that similar would of probably happened between XF1.0 vs 1.1 vs 1.2 , although I was not really here then (take no notice of my join date) so I cannot be sure, however logic dictates to me as this is a "mid point" (2 X something) version not a "major full" point version (1 something vs 2 something) this tells me that the updates for third party things would not create too much of a headache for both authors of said resources and for those using them.

Well that is my 2¢ on it!

That's exactly how our versioning scheme works. It is more or less:

Bug fixes and non-breaking changes in 3rd point releases (e.g. 2.0.11)
New features and minimal breaking changes/deprecations in 2nd point releases (e.g. 2.1.0)
Major software changes and breaking changes in 3rd point releases (e.g. 2.0.0)

There may be some significant changes required for add-ons and styles in 2.1 but nothing even close to the extent of changes in 2.0. The aim certainly is after the upgrade to 2.1 everything will still be functional.

Thank @Chris D :)

I probably did not phrase my post too well (sorry) but my erm 'thoughts/speculation' were that as it was a 'mid point' change as such then 'third party items' would need a "tweak or three" to work properly but not a complete new rewrite, as in making a 1x theme or addon work with 2x, you would start from scratch, well I would!

I imagine it was the same for addons and themes when XF moved from 1.0.x to 1.1.x and 1.2.x upwards, in that third party authors would need to "make a few changes here and there" to say cope with changed core files and/or theme template changes but not start with a blank sheet, so to speak.

Top Bottom