XenForo 2.1 & Server Stats

RobinHood

From the 2.0.3 release notes

XenForo 2.1

We are making good progress toward XenForo 2.1 and although we don't have anything to show you, just yet, we do have plans to increase the minimum requirements in XenForo 2.1 so we can bring you some pretty cool changes ;) You may remember that in XenForo 2.0.2 we started collecting some server stats and this has actually been immensely useful so thank you to everyone who agreed to submit that information. We wanted to share some statistics based on PHP version usage:
  • PHP 5.4: 6%
  • PHP 5.5: 4%
  • PHP 5.6: 34%
  • PHP 7.0: 23%
  • PHP 7.1: 23%
  • PHP 7.2: 10%
Possibly not much of a surprise here, but this tells us that 90% of our customers currently running XF 2.0.2 are using a version of PHP which is version 5.6 and above. It is therefore the case that XenForo 2.1 will require a minimum of PHP 5.6. If you're currently in the 10% who are currently using PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.5 then we strongly recommend that you upgrade as soon as possible. We do, of course, recommend that you use PHP 7.2+ where practicable. If you are planning to move to XenForo 2.1 from XenForo 1.5 eventually then please include the PHP version requirement in your upgrade plans.

If you are running a version below PHP 5.6, you will receive a warning when installing or upgrading XenForo.

That's pretty cool that you're sharing some of the stats from the new install analytics, it's pretty interesting seeing stuff like this, thanks for sharing it.

We have some pretty big plans for XenForo 2.1 and we are working hard towards it so expect some exciting updates on that in the coming months.

giphy.gif

We might have a public page eventually, like WordPress. But I think having the stats and sharing them like that helps justify some decisions we make. For example people might be annoyed that they have to upgrade PHP but then clearly supporting old versions of PHP isn’t really viable when it only affects 10% of customers. Similarly people might have been hoping we would move to PHP 7.0 but clearly we can’t quite justify when 44% of our customers haven’t moved to that yet.

That said, the adoption of PHP 7 is promising :)

We have some pretty big plans for XenForo 2.1 and we are working hard towards it so expect some exciting updates on that in the coming months.
I'm hyped about this, I wasn't expecting to get this news.

Can we speculate about what kind of changes we will get? Or like hints, without talking about the enhancements, just the type of the enhancements?

For example are we getting a new content type, like we have the RM and MG and ES?
If yes, will it be a core content type or an addon like the above ones?

If no, are we getting something completely new, which doesn't exist yet or something which exists but will be enhanced further?

Or what aspects will get enhancements? Language system? Security? etc. etc.

Can you give us something, pretty please.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Pretty sure at this stage of development their time is better spent coding rather than talking about features that may or may not come into fruition in 2.1.0. We are what happen with 2.0 when they discussed things to early.

Really looking forward to the 2.1 announcement as this is when I will upgrade from 1.5. Anyone who isn't using at least PHP 5.6 has something not right with their head. For technology to progress we need server admins to stop supporting ancient software.

This sounds very promising. I'm excited to see what 2.1 has in store for us. I remember @Chris D talking about a new feature in the php version thread. Interested in seeing what that is :P

Yeah you'll want to be using at least PHP 7.1 to benefit from that feature.

I plan to update to 7.2 by the time 2.1 is released. I just decided on staying with 7.0 for now since all the add-ons work and everything seems good the way it is now.

It will happen automatically within 6 weeks or shortly after you upgrade XF, whichever comes first.

The sample size is fairly large now so i wouldn’t worry about single installations being slightly out of date.

Like with everything, most people take a long time to upgrade their stuff, just look at Windows, if they were not to release new OS because of the low and slow adoption rate we'd still all on Win95 :)

But it's good that xF uses a logic of having features that can be optionally turned on if the installation supports the newest PHP versions instead of just not having the features at all, if anything it will motivate the ones still on PHP 5 to upgrade to benefit from new shinies.

Like with everything, most people take a long time to upgrade their stuff, just look at Windows, if they were not to release new OS because of the low and slow adoption rate we'd still all on Win95 :)
Nope - Windows 2000.
Windows 95 was very unstable due to cooperative multitasking for 16 bit software.

Nope - Windows 2000.
Windows 95 was very unstable due to cooperative multitasking for 16 bit software.
Oh yeah.

But to me, the more xF adds features that require higher reqs that would end up optional to not increase the entire reqs, it will be a great push to have the customer base to upgrade more quickly and open more possibilities. Let's see what will be up with xF 2.1 hmmm

Top Bottom