XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some suggestions are just plain massive. A good example is the CMS suggestion. This isn't a feature suggestion; this is a product suggestion, a potentially very complex product suggestion. While XenForo is a framework, it is primarily based around the forum software; that is presumably why you're all here. That is likely to be our primary product for the foreseeable future. While it may be worthwhile for us to create a CMS, this would have a knock on effect on everything else we do so this (or any new product) is not something we could take on lightly. In my opinion, it's unfair to cite the lack of a CMS as a failing of a forum software package. It may be something that you need and it may be provided by others, but it's still separate from a forum and our primary product. If you need a CMS that is natively integrated with your forum, unless there's an add-on that you're comfortable with, XenForo is unlikely to fit that and I'm not in a position to say if or when it would fit that.

As from what I understand, everyone interprets "CMS" differently.

I doubt there is a need for a full-blown "CMS" (whatever that is, I have no idea), but I think what Admins want is to bring Thread-content forward to the "Homepage".
It is just a matter of creating a flexible "Homepage" which shows content from the "first post in a Thread" or from individual "Posts" from somewhere within a Thread.
Maybe some sort of "Widget"-system in order for every webmaster to create his individual "Homepage".

Give Admins the ability to feature stuff (text, pictures) from "Threads" at the "Homepage" in order to give users and visitors some sort of "entry point" in order to jump into Threads and engage in posting.
A list of "Forums" (as currently) is probably not very appealing for many end-users and probably also quite hard to grasp of which Forum to choose and starting to post or reply.

Since XF does not provide a real "Homepage" at www.xenforo.com , I think this is what Admins are looking for.
Like for example Brogan's "Featured Threads" or "XenPorta" or "XenZine" or whatever the "Homepage"-layout may look like.

For people who are used to using Forums, it is easy.
But for all others, it is not so easy to choose some sort of "Category" first in order to see some "Content".
Therefore, provide the ability to move "Content" forward to the "Homepage" (which still needs to be created at the very first page when you visit e.g. at www.xenforo.com)

No need for a "CMS".

:)

Last edited:
So.... I'll be the one to ask: Is the plan for styles that we'll be able to import our 1.x styles (no modified templates, just style properties and/or extra.css) to at least use as a starting point or will we need to start from scratch? :whistle:

I don't think that was the only reason they didn't move onto vb4 or 5. :p

I do think there's going to be a decent amount of sites that stay on xf 1.x for several months, maybe even a year+ after release. The jump isn't going to be instant, that's for sure. Unless of course you don't use a custom style or any add ons and don't mind working out bugs. ;)
Heck, there are already a bunch that are still on 1.2.x series now... so I would agree that won't change (the philosophy) when 2.0 comes out. If you read here, you would think that it was MANDATORY that you upgrade to 2.0 when it is released. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you read here, you would think that it was MANDATORY that you upgrade to 2.0 when it is released.

This is what I was about to say lol. +1

but I think what Admins want is to bring Thread-content forward to the "Homepage"

I also agree with this in relation to a CMS - what I would like to see in this regard is:

1). The ability to 'push' content in some kind of activity stream that users can filter/customize to their requirements; this way they get the latest and greatest fed to them when they next return without having to go looking for it. I'm not sure how feasible or easy/difficult that would be. Brogan's Featured threads add-on does that up to a point, but I would like to see it go further - especially with filters. And I don't mean for such an activity stream to feature every single thing that occurs in the forum, just new content whatever it may be; topics, replies, new images (XFMG), new videos (XFMG). This would most likely be the one single new feature that could transform forums from being static and boring to being something that would encourage people to read and contribute.

2). An extension of the Pages function so that it can be used as an article/content delivery system with categories, cover image (optional) and the use of the the WYSIWYG editor; also add in the ability to comment and rate/review the articles/content. The reason for this is to take out of the forums what may be considered important content whose relevancy doesn't change (or changes very little) over time. It also helps people to find this content more easily instead of hunting through masses of topics/threads and forums, if they even know it exists in the first place. The search facility leaves much to be desired so I don't include that as an option for finding content. I know we have add-on's that cater for this need up to a point, but third party dependency can be risky and costly (I don't mean that in a denigrating way towards third party developers, just that it's a fact of life - people's priorities change and move on).

Whatever else is to come will (IMHO) be just what we need to move forward; I base that thought on what Mike had to say in his initial response to what's coming in XF2.

You can continue to use XF1 if you prefer, it's not compulsory to upgrade.
Wasn't this the option with vB5?

We could continue to use vB4, it was not compulsory to upgrate to vB5. But vB4 was a dead end street.

Will XF1.4 be a dead end?

Is it as much trouble, to move from XF1.4 to XF2.o, as it was to move from vB4 to XF1.x?

XF1 will eventually be EOL, yes.

As stated in the first post of this thread, development focus has shifted to XF2.

As from what I understand, everyone interprets "CMS" differently.
I think some people are just confused about its definition. It is not a portal (or similar), it is a system which can stand on its own and the purpose is to easily manage all content of a website. If people want something to simply show content from the forum on a homepage, they can't really call that a CMS. Not that there is anything wrong with such an add-on, but I do not expect an official release for this from what Mike posted.

Precisely - CMS can be overstated in terms of its function and functionality. Taken as a literal it means that you can assign editors/contributors to add and amend content - any content! In terms of what I envisage as a CMS it's a system whereby articles can be created, categorized and amended only by admins or the (optional) creator of the article. So in a sense it's an article system for want of a better term rather than something that has endless possibilities as to what content is being managed.

The other system of moving content to the homepage is more akin to an activity stream - as I mentioned Brogan's excellent Featured Threads add-on goes some way to facilitating this, but not far enough as it is only for threads; there are options to manually feature threads or allow for automatic inclusion - that's a smart piece of kit. Where it lacks oomph, is that it's restricted to threads, which is what it was designed for. I have no idea if that idea can be expanded upon to include other content.

I think some people are just confused about its definition.

99% of people don't need a CMS. They need a homepage/portal with a widget manager. I thought it a bit strange that Mike referred to a CMS as he must know that's not what most people really want (even if they don't really know the difference).

If XF2 brought in a widget framework system then that's a lot of the hard work done and something like Brogan's portal would be more than enough for most people's needs.

99% of people don't need a CMS. They need a homepage/portal with a widget manager. I thought it a bit strange that Mike referred to a CMS as he must know that's not what most people really want (even if they don't really know the difference).

If XF2 brought in a widget framework system then that's a lot of the hard work done and something like Brogan's portal would be more than enough for most people's needs.
That may or may not be a correct guess, however a thoroughly written CMS can do all that and could be sold separately, attracting more customers. Another point is do people care about portals? Whenever I see one I skip it because it's just plain boring looking.

Last edited:
1). The ability to 'push' content in some kind of activity stream that users can filter/customize to their requirements; this way they get the latest and greatest fed to them when they next return without having to go looking for it.
As you describe it, this is already available in the core. Watch Nodes, Watch Threads, all customizable and filtered to an individuals requirements including notification by email or when they return and check their Alerts.
As for a CMS, that is exactly what XenForo is and does. It is a Content Management System. There are add ons available to enhance more specific content and portals to arrange displays to your liking. And there is an abundance of styles to present the whole package to to your members to your liking.

I would actually like a widget manager that is core to XenForo and similar to how xfrocks created his Widget System, the ability to make pages full of widgets. This way you can easily make your own portal pages.

Honestly, I rather have XenForo create integration modules with third-party software like WordPress/Drupal which are far more robust CMS applications. However, I doubt that would happen.

As you describe it, this is already available in the core. Watch Nodes, Watch Threads, all customizable and filtered to an individuals requirements including notification by email or when they return and check their Alerts.
As for a CMS, that is exactly what XenForo is and does. It is a Content Management System. There are add ons available to enhance more specific content and portals to arrange displays to your liking. And there is an abundance of styles to present the whole package to to your members to your liking.

I'm already aware of all of this, but you're missing the point. Yes users can go to watched content, new posts, etc; but that implies that they know how to use these features and can even be bothered to use them. The point is that if you 'push' information to them they will be more likely react to it than if they have to go looking, or even know where to look. And not everyone wants to 'watch' every thread or node, however by pushing content forward they may see something that tweaks their interest that is somewhere that is not being watched.

In the broadest sense of the term XF is a content management system having content that can be managed, but that is not what is being described or asked for. You can label anything that allows you to add content and manage it as a CMS. It depends on how far you want to take it. For example I can allow my clients to change aspects of certain pages of their website themselves; that can be classed as CMS, but only in the sense that they can change only what I have flagged as changeable. So even that is not really the type of CMS that some people would describe as such. It's a very loose term that can be liberalized in pretty much any which way you want. You have to ask the question 'what kind of content do I want to manage and how?"

I'm already aware of all of this, but you're missing the point.
No, you're missing the point. You are asking for features/functionality that is already in the core that is intuitive and user friendly. If you want enhanced functionality to "push" specific information to users then buy the add on that suits your purpose.

No, you're missing the point. You are asking for features/functionality that is already in the core that is intuitive and user friendly. If you want enhanced functionality to "push" specific information to users then buy the add on that suits your purpose.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree as our viewpoints are obviously poles apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom