• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

XenAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Lawrence for taking suggestion on board... really hope to see development of your addon.

Lawrence,
We currently use openx to inject adcode into Wordpress and forum (VB). Your addon seems promising but it only works for forum side, correct? Would it be able to copy and paste a piece of code and post them on non-XF part of the site?

If you can pull data out from XF to display on a non-XenForo page, then you can do that for the ad data as well; it'll just take some specialized code to do it.

Thank you Lawrence for taking suggestion on board... really hope to see development of your addon.

I looked at re-sizing sponsors 468*60 banners to create smaller ones to be displayed left of the RSS icon, but the created banners are unusable due to their new height (15px, any higher then the width is too long). So, admins will need to create the banners themselves. 120px * 32px seems to work best for my testing. I would like it automated though.

Do you plan to update addon any time soon, Lawrence?

XenAMS works well for those with a few banners to display, but for those with a large number of banners, managing them can be time-intensive and confusing. As the banner itself is the ad, if you wanted to use the same banner in multiple categories you need to upload the same banner with a different name, and that is really not Admin friendly at all. Another problem with that is you can not swap out the banner with another one and maintain the stats.

So, to answer your question, XenAMS is going through a complete re-write. Ads will no longer be dependent on banners. This will allow for greater flexibility, and will allow you to create ads that contain one banner, multiple banners, served ads (adsense), or any combination. And you will be able to use the same banner in multiple ads, edit the ad(s), swap out a banner for another, without losing the ad at all. The upside to this approach is that if you accidentally remove a banner from the system, the ad will still be in tact and display it. Another upside is if you want multiple banners to be displayed in one location at the same time, then the query count will still stay the same as an ad with just one banner. You can make each "ad package" available globally, or only available for a specific Node ID, or multiple Node ID's.

Another thing, banners in the AdminCP will be displayed as thumbnails. The way it is now, with a lot of banners, it just isn't user friendly.

XenAMS works well for those with a few banners to display, but for those with a large number, managing them can be time-intensive, and a daunting task. As the banner itself is the ad, if you wanted to use the same banner in multiple categories you need to upload the same banner with a different name, and that is really not Admin friendly at all. Another problem with that is you can not swap out the banner with another one and maintain the stats.

So, to answer your question, XenAMS is going through a complete re-write. Ads will no longer be dependent on banners. This will allow for greater flexibility, and will allow you to create ads that contain one banner, multiple banners, served ads (adsense), or any combination. And you will be able to use the same banner in multiple ads, edit the ad(s), swap out a banner for another, without losing the ad at all. The upside to this approach is that if you accidentally remove a banner from the system, the ad will still be in tact and display it. Another upside is if you want multiple banners to be displayed in one location at the same time, then the query count will still stay the same as an ad with just one banner. You can make each "ad package" available globally, or only available for a specific Node ID, or multiple Node ID's.

Another thing, banners in the AdminCP will be displayed as thumbnails. The way it is now, with a lot of banners, it just isn't user friendly.

WoOW that sounds amazing :)

Lawrence, I think you need to put a donate button to the first message in the thread...
For my community it is crucial to have the option to show different sponsors for different forums, for instance i have auto discusstion forum and food, etc etc...

I'm looking forward to your addon so badly...

a food for a thought: what about adding an option to add more than one forum sponsor to one forum?
using a script like http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/fadescroll.htm...
Am I going nuts here?
smile.png

XenAMS works well for those with a few banners to display, but for those with a large number of banners, managing them can be time-intensive and confusing. As the banner itself is the ad, if you wanted to use the same banner in multiple categories you need to upload the same banner with a different name, and that is really not Admin friendly at all. Another problem with that is you can not swap out the banner with another one and maintain the stats.

Right now, the stats are per banner, which if enough effort is put in by uploading duplicate banners - forum specific statistics can be generated.

As an example, if there was a single banner ad in this xf.com 'add on releases' forum, then the level of activity in the 'add on releases' forum could be determined. Will that still be the case after the changes? Or will statistics be per ad?

Right now, the stats are per banner, which if enough effort is put in by uploading duplicate banners - forum specific statistics can be generated.

As an example, if there was a single banner ad in this xf.com 'add on releases' forum, then the level of activity in the 'add on releases' forum could be determined. Will that still be the case after the changes? Or will statistics be per ad?

Tracking views for one specific ad that shows in a specific forum works fine, but breaking down views to track for specific forums for an ad set to display globally of for multiple node ids will be pretty resource heavy. With the new way ads will be handled, just create an ad package for one specific node id, duplicate it (it will be done by a single click), and change the node id in the newly created duplicate ad package, and hit save. If you just want to track the total views of one specific ad package that will be displayed for multiple nodes, then you do not need to create a duplicate, just select all the nodes you want that package to appear in, (for that one ad package). :)

Lawrence, my ads do not seem to rotate, despite configuring them to be switched every 10 seconds. When I check the page's source code, I also only see one ad as being loaded. Is this behaviour by design?

Like Dean, I also cannot wait to see the next version. If at all possible, I'd love to have a feature where I can put in a sponsor's mail address, and having an automatic mail sent out at the end of every month containing the statistics tracked by XenAMS for their ad.

Lawrence, my ads do not seem to rotate, despite configuring them to be switched every 10 seconds. When I check the page's source code, I also only see one ad as being loaded. Is this behaviour by design?

It only fetches a new ad after the time expires and a new page is loaded or the page is refreshed. If you have the location set to random, it may be fetching the same banner (by chance).

The new version will rotate banners that are grouped within an ad package without a page load.

Like Dean, I also cannot wait to see the next version. If at all possible, I'd love to have a feature where I can put in a sponsor's mail address, and having an automatic mail sent out at the end of every month containing the statistics tracked by XenAMS for their ad.

Right now I am re-doing how banners are added to the system to be used in ad packages, so this would be a good time to add in an email field.

When you select a banner to make available to the system, you now need to fill out a Unique Name to identify the banner, the URL, and set if it is to be global or not, and then hit save. Once it is added to the system, you can change the unique name (and the global status if you like), and save it as a new available banner if you choose. This way if you decide that one sponsors banner will be shown globally, and will also be shown for multiple node id's that are not related to the parent node id, you only need to use the one image for all. And because they are treated as different "banners" then the views and time displayed can be maintained separately.

Just a feature i want to suggest which i think it's very important is that there could be an option, setting a specific usergroup not to be able to view the ads!

Thats very handy for Premium Members , VIPs what else they called :)

How about Ads inside the first thread/post on the top left corner with text wrap? I would like to use Adsense and this would be very effective. Like the example here.

Adsense Text Wrap.webp

Any news Lawrence ? :D

Would reaaaaaaally love to install that addon :D

I been making some nice progress until recently (my hot water tank began to leak, and I'll be replacing it today) . I have support for adsense (or any type of served ads I would guess) done. This is a complete re-do. Every aspect will be changed, including a complete re-write of the code to be more efficient and generate less queries.

How about Ads inside the first thread/post on the top left corner with text wrap? I would like to use Adsense and this would be very effective. Like the example here.

View attachment 11011

I'll see what I can do as this is my next section I'm working on.

What ad locations do you think should be included?

I'll see what I can do as this is my next section I'm working on.

What ad locations do you think should be included?

I think its a good idea also to include an ad after the first post only, like here:
WEJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom