Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

Does this not deal with conversation alerts? I've looked through the thread, but can't see any reference to whether they are or not.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, or I missed it in the thread :)

No it doesn't.

Mainly because conversation alerts aren't actually alerts, in the sense that it doesn't use the actual alert system.

Thats a real shame. Are there any plans or even the possibility to include them in the future?

It would be useful that the add on description states it doesn't cover them too. Just for clarity :)

Thanks Chris.

http://updates.pushover.net/post/87000633097/api-change-to-message-priority-1-new-priority-2

API: Change to Message Priority -1, New Priority -2
May 27, 2014 by joshua stein
We’ve made a small change to our API that affects message priority. Previously on our iOS client, messages with a priority of -1 would only update the badge number for the Pushover app icon and not show any notification details. To provide more functionality and match our Android client behavior, these messages will now show a notification, though still without vibration or sound so as not to disturb you. Messages received during quiet hours will still use this priority.

A new priority -2 is available through our API which will only update the app badge on iOS, and as of our new version 2.2.1 Android client, will not generate any system notification on Android. This is useful for sending messages to your Android device that will only be used to interface with Tasker, since you will not have to dismiss these notifications afterwards.

Could be useful to classify some alerts ("... liked your post") as less priority, non-intrusive.

@Chris D, I was trying to test Pushover integration on XMG.com and don't see an option for Pushover under External Accounts. Is it not currently available there?

Is there any way that I can check to see how many alerts my XF board produces every month? This way I can see if it is below 7,500 or above it.

Yes, it is detailed in your account at Pushover.net:

No, I meant can you check in the XenForo ACP. So I can see how many alerts are going out at the moment, if it's over 7,500 then it's probably not worth it for me as I'll be paying extra every month.

Sorry I understand now.

It's actually difficult to measure because alerts are only kept for about 4 days after they have been read. So referring to how many alerts are in the xf_user_alert table won't give you an accurate impression.

@Azhria Lilu opened it up to a much smaller group of users first to try and gauge how popular it would be.

If you're not using much over the 7,500, let's say you're using 8,000 a month, for example, the alerts are sold in packs of 10,000, but once you've purchased them they don't expire and you still get the first 7,500 free every month.

Meaning in my example above, 10,000 alerts would last you 20 months.

Sorry I understand now.

It's actually difficult to measure because alerts are only kept for about 4 days after they have been read. So referring to how many alerts are in the xf_user_alert table won't give you an accurate impression.

@Azhria Lilu opened it up to a much smaller group of users first to try and gauge how popular it would be.

If you're not using much over the 7,500, let's say you're using 8,000 a month, for example, the alerts are sold in packs of 10,000, but once you've purchased them they don't expire and you still get the first 7,500 free every month.

Meaning in my example above, 10,000 alerts would last you 20 months.

Ok thanks for that. I may try this out for the next upgrade we do on the site but I fear most users wont want to pay out the $5 because a lot of our userbase is in Asia and that's a hefty chunk of money over there.

The pricing should be localised. I can't say I know for sure but in theory the charge for them in their local currency in their local App Store may actually be less.

Also the app is free now. Which allows people to have a free trial so they can use that to decide whether it's something they like before purchasing.

It might be worth asking them to find it in their local App Store, and look at the list of In-App Purchases as that will confirm to you the cost in their local currency.

I'm speaking as an Apple App Store customer though so I'm not sure exactly how what I says translated to Google Play.

The pricing should be localised. I can't say I know for sure but in theory the charge for them in their local currency in their local App Store may actually be less.

Also the app is free now. Which allows people to have a free trial so they can use that to decide whether it's something they like before purchasing.

It might be worth asking them to find it in their local App Store, and look at the list of In-App Purchases as that will confirm to you the cost in their local currency.

I'm speaking as an Apple App Store customer though so I'm not sure exactly how what I says translated to Google Play.

That's a fair point, I'll ask them.

Chris, FYI about a minor annoyance I came across with a site using Xen Pushover...

In a thread a user quoted me but on that site the user in question is set to have all of their posts moderated. I got the Pushover alert but of course couldn't view the content. Several hours later the post was approved so I got a normal XF alert on the site at the time.

@Chris D, I've just had 10 Pushover alerts from XenForo in one go. These are all alerts that I have received already throughout the course of the day.

I've had this a few times now were I'll get alerts that I have previously had. It only happens for XenForo, not for alerts from my site.

I have disabled the pushover cron on my test site to eliminate that being the cause of this.

I'm not sure if this is a bug with this add-on or something going on with the Pushover service.

Hi Chris, I've noticed I'm getting a lot or errors in the error log, pages and pages worth. Although it's still working just fine and I'm receiving alerts.

Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Call to a member function getBody() on a non-object - library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php:294
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 9:23 PM
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(36) "http://www.fffsquad.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(3) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(96) "/threads/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-fixes-and-tweaks-for-crashes-errors-freezing-poor-fps-lag.910/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

I cant wait for someone else to come along and do this way way way way cheaper!

The mod itself is priced amazingly (kudos Chris).
The device apps are priced ok, but could be cheaper.
The message top ups $50 for 10K is bloody stupid.

It basically rules out any useful implementation with normal users. It can hardly pacify anyone screaming for a mobile app alternative... not when a single active user could rack up 1000 alerts or more in a month on their own.

The app itself is BASIC. The tech behind it is BASIC.... Chris has code that could be modified to hook into any similar API.... which leaves us where?
I'd say pushover wont be alone for long.... the charges are gonna drive people elsewhere in droves when something else launches into reality.

Hi Chris, I've noticed I'm getting a lot or errors in the error log, pages and pages worth. Although it's still working just fine and I'm receiving alerts.

Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Call to a member function getBody() on a non-object - library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php:294
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 9:23 PM
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(36) "http://www.fffsquad.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(3) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(96) "/threads/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-fixes-and-tweaks-for-crashes-errors-freezing-poor-fps-lag.910/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}
I think I have an update for that issue. @The Sandman tested it on TAZ. I was making some other changes to it, though, I will dig it out and release it.

I cant wait for someone else to come along and do this way way way way cheaper!

The mod itself is priced amazingly (kudos Chris).
The device apps are priced ok, but could be cheaper.
The message top ups $50 for 10K is bloody stupid.

It basically rules out any useful implementation with normal users. It can hardly pacify anyone screaming for a mobile app alternative... not when a single active user could rack up 1000 alerts or more in a month on their own.

The app itself is BASIC. The tech behind it is BASIC.... Chris has code that could be modified to hook into any similar API.... which leaves us where?
I'd say pushover wont be alone for long.... the charges are gonna drive people elsewhere in droves when something else launches into reality.
A lot of people say Pushover is expensive; yet I haven't seen any other suggestions yet.

The thing is, I'd be concerned about any services that say they can do it cheaper. I would say most of their customers are able to remain free because of the 7000 free messages a month. Or some may spend $50 on a 10,000 message bundle that lasts for months (it doesn't expire). The remainder who need more than that are probably in the minority and with all things considered supporting that volume of messages across all their customers must come at a considerable cost.

Anyone doing it cheaper I'd be concerned about whether they can run a reliable service and maintain it without folding due to lack of profitability.

And, of course, this is why I have baked in support for user group permissions. This could be a premium feature for your board. If the feature costs you $100 a month in additional messages, and the feature comes as part of a premium membership feature on your site, you could likely cover those costs (or most of it) that way. But, then you'd have to balance it, because if it was a premium feature, no doubt the usage would be less and it would cost less.

If any one has any suggestions for other services with a similar API that are perceived to be cheaper, please send me a PM.

Can you add a test mode to this so webmasters can accurately gauge how many would be sent in a month (to specified groups)? Sure it will take a month to gather data but it will be helpful. Also helpful to decide which other groups to roll it out to. Hope u like the idea

Last edited:
Top Bottom