Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

Can @Chris D or anyone else please confirm, I have been using this for a while (it's great!) but now want to make it so only a paying user group can access it. What happens when I therefore remove the ability to associate Pushover from the standard registered usegroup, namely, will it affect (remove) anyone already using it on that usergroup? I would like to avoid suddenly removing the feature from those already relying on it - but for anyone new wanting to use it, they need to be in that paying usergroup.

Hope that makes sense, I think I am asking, would removing the permission from a usergroup stop already associated Pushover members still receiving alerts?

Hope that makes sense, I think I am asking, would removing the permission from a usergroup stop already associated Pushover members still receiving alerts?
Unfortunately, yes. The permission is checked when queueing / sending the notifications.

Thanks for confirming Chris.

Also, for anyone who searches for this error, I got:

"This application did not supply a required parameter and is not accepting subscriptions at this time. Please contact the application maintainer."

For any new users trying to associate via the external accounts page. It turned out to be because I forgot to update the http forum address to https, registered in my Pushover settings, when I switched over!

Wouldn't the push notification features of XF2.1 make this xenpushover application obsolete? I have it installed as well, although it is costly to keep active.... but I just wanted to check? ((btw just realized this was an addon I had for XF1...duh))

How about batch add users that are already using pushing over to a new user group “legacy pushover” giving them pushover permission and disable it to “registered” user group?

In this way you can then activate pushover to new paying users and maintain the old ones active.

How is that?

Each Pushover API Key is capable of sending 7,500 messages per month for free. After that time, no more alerts will be sent to your users until the limit resets or you purchase additional messages. Additional messages are charged at 50 USD per 10,000. These never expire and will continue to rollover until used completely.

How about batch add users that are already using pushing over to a new user group “legacy pushover” giving them pushover permission and disable it to “registered” user group?

That's a really good idea on paper, but how do I know who is using Pushover? It doesn't show under external accounts in the adminCP for any user.

I've noticed that I haven't been getting push notifications from my site recently. Whilst this won't be an issue in the medium term if I upgrade to XF 2.1, I'd obviously like them to return in the interim.

Whilst investigating the issue, I noticed that if I clicked on External Accounts from my account on the front end, I got these errors:

Code:
Server Error
array_map(): Argument #2 should be an array

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
array_map() in XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php at line 812
XenPushover_Model_Pushover->verifyPushover() in XenPushover/ControllerPublic/Account.php at line 53
XenPushover_ControllerPublic_Account->actionExternalAccounts() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 369
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 152
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/index.php at line 13

In the ACP, the server errors are:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: array_map(): Argument #2 should be an array - library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php:812
Generated By: Martok, 5 minutes ago

Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(2, 'array_map(): Ar...', '/var/www/senior...', 812, Array)
#1 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php(812): array_map('ucfirst', NULL)
#2 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenPushover/ControllerPublic/Account.php(53): XenPushover_Model_Pushover->verifyPushover(Array, NULL)
#3 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(369): XenPushover_ControllerPublic_Account->actionExternalAccounts()
#4 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(152): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#5 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#6 {main}

Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(54) "https://www.seniorgamers.net/account/external-accounts"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/account/external-accounts"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

and

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Undefined index: errors - library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php:812
Generated By: Martok, 6 minutes ago

Stack Trace
#0 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenPushover/Model/Pushover.php(812): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/var/www/senior...', 812, Array)
#1 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenPushover/ControllerPublic/Account.php(53): XenPushover_Model_Pushover->verifyPushover(Array, NULL)
#2 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(369): XenPushover_ControllerPublic_Account->actionExternalAccounts()
#3 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(152): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 /var/www/seniorgamers.net/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}

Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(54) "https://www.seniorgamers.net/account/external-accounts"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/account/external-accounts"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

These errors are occurring even when Xen Pushover is disabled.
I have checked to confirm that my Pushover keys are correct in the ACP.
I have noticed that neither the Pushover Admin Alerts and Pushover for XenForo.com links work as expected, both giving me an error:

Code:
Error
No sounds received from the Pushover API.

I'm running XenForo 1.5.23.

Any ideas?

I have new registrations set to be moderated. When a user is @ “awaiting email confirmation” status and continues to browse the forum...for every forum page they visit I get a “new user is awaiting confirmation...” push notification. So if they read 20 different pages I receive a 20 new user registrations alerts...

Now that 2.1 is out and Apple have shunned web push for what is likely to be at least another year, any thoughts on a 2.1 update on this to feed our iOS push itch Chris?

Honestly, nope.

Exploring other options at the moment, but this is a non-starter. While push notifications are important, I think it's crucial that admins do not have to pay X per month for a set of notifications (beyond the free tier) and end users do not have to pay X to use an app (per device) to receive them.

A long time ago I thought it was viable. And, to many, it was. But many more seemed to reject the concept, particularly in terms of the cost to users.

That's understandable, and I do agree the Pushover product in its current form is not ideal for the same reasons, but at least it was something that worked today for those dedicated enough to spend the money and set it up.

I look forward to hearing more about any other ideas, as it feels like there's no other real viable iOS option in sight right now without getting some kind of dedicated Apple sanctioned native XF push product in place or custom product on a per site basis, and for some users on sites migrating to XF2 it may feel like a step backward without something to replace it.

I'm sure you guys will figure it out. Until then, I expect you guys to do a push up for every page load from an iOS device daily on XF.com to remind you of how important us iOS forum users are ;)

Top Bottom