Implemented X changed avatar

James

450326f53ddb4faa9ba05c5.png

Sorry Lucas :P

I'm not sure if it's just me but "X changed avatar" is missing some form of possessive adjective, such as his or her?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yeah, it just takes a conditional really. If the gender is set (which it asks in registration) put a possessive adjective, if not, put "their".

It is extremely difficult to implement a his/her system and maintain language independence in phrases, as there are languages which do not distinguish between male and female, and others that make far more distinctions.

The system did originally say 'their' - I could change it back to that if you would prefer?

450326f53ddb4faa9ba05c5.png

Sorry Lucas :p

I'm not sure if it's just me but "X changed avatar" is missing some form of possessive adjective, such as his or her?
How there you post a picture of such a nice guy?!

I personally find it ok the way it currently is. :)

I didn't consider that Kier.

Their works fine, I just was thinking more about personalisation because it is a social community ;)

If all else fails, Gordy's works changed avatars or has a new avatar.

Sorry to be pedantic :p

It is extremely difficult to implement a his/her system and maintain language independence in phrases, as there are languages which do not distinguish between male and female, and others that make far more distinctions.

The system did originally say 'their' - I could change it back to that if you would prefer?
The would be the most logical and efficient way to accomplish this.

I quite like 'has a new avatar'.

Crowd-sourced phrasing - love it :)

not sure whether an average person understands the meaning of the word "avatar". This is merely modern "internet language".

Maybe "image" or "photo" or "picture" might be more clear.... ?
Facebook names it "Profile Picture".

not sure whether an average person understands the meaning of the word "avatar". This is merely modern "internet language".

Maybe "image" or "photo" or "picture" might be more clear.... ?
Facebook names it "Profile Picture".
A lot of people know what an "avatar" is. It's not unknown by a majority of internet users.

If you have a problem with that phrase you could change it on your installation, but otherwise it's not a phrase most people are unfamiliar with. If they are, they probably find "email" unfamiliar too.

no, I do not have a problem with it.
I was just asking.....sorry.

No need to say sorry, Erich. I think...

A lot of people know what an "avatar" is. It's not unknown by a majority of internet users.

If you have a problem with that phrase you could change it on your installation, but otherwise it's not a phrase most people are unfamiliar with. If they are, they probably find "email" unfamiliar too.

... this reaction is maybe a bit to black&white, IMHO. The majority of people know what email is, but trust me, not everyone knows what an 'avatar' is. I know this from experience. Profile Picture or User Picture or something along those lines is directly understandable for everyone and the term 'Avatar' is mostly known to people who use forums (or some social networks) and yes, you are right, that are a lot of people. :)

For me it's fine but I certainly understand Erich's question. Long live the phrase manager indeed!

Top Bottom