1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented X changed avatar

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by James, Aug 12, 2010.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

Sorry Lucas :p

I'm not sure if it's just me but "X changed avatar" is missing some form of possessive adjective, such as his or her?
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

how about "their" since it included girls/boys.
  3. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

his / her would work if the gender is set, otherwise it would need to be their...

Agreed though
  4. James

James Well-Known Member

Yeah, it just takes a conditional really. If the gender is set (which it asks in registration) put a possessive adjective, if not, put "their".
  5. Dismounted

Dismounted Well-Known Member

But we don't know gender, so differentiating "him" or "her" would be breaching on AI. :p
  6. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

It is extremely difficult to implement a his/her system and maintain language independence in phrases, as there are languages which do not distinguish between male and female, and others that make far more distinctions.

The system did originally say 'their' - I could change it back to that if you would prefer?
  7. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

"X changed avatars"
    "X has a new avatar"
  8. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

How there you post a picture of such a nice guy?!

I personally find it ok the way it currently is. :)
  9. James

James Well-Known Member

I didn't consider that Kier.

Their works fine, I just was thinking more about personalisation because it is a social community ;)

If all else fails, Gordy's works changed avatars or has a new avatar.

Sorry to be pedantic :p
  10. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

The would be the most logical and efficient way to accomplish this.
  11. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I quite like 'has a new avatar'.

Crowd-sourced phrasing - love it :)
    Abomination, James and Peggy like this.
  12. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

That is also nice. Just the idea of checking if the gender status is set and adding an if/else statement to run everytime this happened has made me a tad bit uneasy.
  13. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

yep that does sound better.
  14. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Yes, was the first thought I had. Somehow 'X has a new Avatar' sounds more inviting to look at compared to 'X changed their Avatar'. On the latter you think: 'Oh..duhhhh?'. Some people get me? ;)
  15. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

not sure whether an average person understands the meaning of the word "avatar". This is merely modern "internet language".

Maybe "image" or "photo" or "picture" might be more clear.... ?
    Facebook names it "Profile Picture".
  16. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

It's consistent with the user menu and "Avatar editor".
  17. erich37

I am not talking about whether it is consistent or not.....
  18. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

A lot of people know what an "avatar" is. It's not unknown by a majority of internet users.

If you have a problem with that phrase you could change it on your installation, but otherwise it's not a phrase most people are unfamiliar with. If they are, they probably find "email" unfamiliar too.
  19. erich37

no, I do not have a problem with it.
    I was just asking.....sorry.
  20. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

No need to say sorry, Erich. I think...

... this reaction is maybe a bit to black&white, IMHO. The majority of people know what email is, but trust me, not everyone knows what an 'avatar' is. I know this from experience. Profile Picture or User Picture or something along those lines is directly understandable for everyone and the term 'Avatar' is mostly known to people who use forums (or some social networks) and yes, you are right, that are a lot of people. :)

For me it's fine but I certainly understand Erich's question. Long live the phrase manager indeed!
    erich37 likes this.