WYSIWYG editor in Pages

Shanj

Logician's templates let me edit the page with WYSWYG.
I can also enable my mods to edit like that.
Can these Pages do that? Much faster and easier for simple text + pics stuff.

Also I want some Pages access permissions by usergroup or several.
Even better for my homepage I want PARTS of the page per usergroup! To give links to their forums and info guide pages, section to have their own colour theme and symbol.
Could be done by a link on the central page for each usergroup but ... nicer if it's appears like just one.

Upvote 27
No there is no WYSIWYG editor for the pages. You would create your page in an html editor unless you write html yourself, and enter it into the blank page.

No there is no WYSIWYG editor for the pages. You would create your page in an html editor unless you write html yourself, and enter it into the blank page.

Really? Hmmm... I would have hoped we could just create the pages with XenForo's built in wysiwyg-editor indeed. Make it as simple and easy as possible to create those pages. I hoped it would work as a little basic 'CMS' where you create everything without ever having to touch any HTML or ditto editor for that matter. Which is exactly the purpose of a CMS in the first place: managing content without any knowledge of HTML. I realize Pages is no full fledged CMS solution, but hopefully an easier way to construct these pages will be offered?

Well Logician has joined XF - he could do it for us. His mod on VB was one of the best mods EVER. He's also very very nice and helpful.
I mean he could add the WYSWYG editor to the Pages for us. He's so adorable.

Really? Hmmm... I would have hoped we could just create the pages with XenForo's built in wysiwyg-editor indeed. Make it as simple and easy as possible to create those pages. I hoped it would work as a little basic 'CMS' where you create everything without ever having to touch any HTML or ditto editor for that matter.
I hoped the same. Perhaps if enough people request it..................... ??

Now we just need Logician to mod in the WYSWYG editor so Pages can be updated easily.

For me I can do the html but it's a lot slowesr than editing just as if it's a forum message.
For many others they don't know html sio that makes these beautiful Pages useless to them.

In order to have a rich text editor like tinymce on a page, you can have it in a custom dir, edit the "edit page" template to have a unique id, and load custom dir tinymce in header, and it will convert the normal textarea into a wysiwyg editor.

So it's not hard to do. If it will conflict with existing code obviously isn't something I know at this point.

But I honestly don't think people need this. Just write your page as you would normally make a html page, and paste the html code into it. And you're done.

....But I honestly don't think people need this. Just write your page as you would normally make a html page, and paste the html code into it. And you're done.

Whilst I totally agree, that lacks the pazzaz we have come to expect thus far in XF - Im sure we'll get to see more than just a text area.... perhaps.

Please see Logician's templates on vb.org which provide pages in the content area - with forum header, footer and permissions.
They have a WYSWYG editor.

html skills are by no means universal. Not even all admins have them.
But even if you do, many moderators won't.
Which restricts the use of Pages a LOT.

Now I've been using Logician's templates for years. I respect his work but he's not a genius. Making a page wyswyg editable isn't such a big deal - the forum messages all do it. So why not a textarea in the page content area rthat acts the same? Like one big message?

Or even a series of them - with html pre-set there could be parts of text only available to the creator of the Page (admin or mod or designated usergroup) with a series of notes sections where others who are permiitted via usergroup can add edit or delete.

I wouldn't worry shanj,

Given everything present in this product right now, implementing pages without a wysiwyg would be a stark contrast to everything we have so far seen.

The biggest obstacle to adding a WYSIWYG editor to the Pages editor is the fact that it would block your ability to use XenForo template syntax within the page, which rather completely defeats the point of the system, in my opinion.

Kier unless this is something to do with XF being different, Logician's templates do both functions - you get the forum page template incl. permissions AND you can (optionally) allow user or usergroup to WYSWYG edit it.

The WYSWYG editor doesn't access the header, side columns, or footer. It only accesses the centre content area. One table cell I guess.

Maybe an option (per page) to either have the editor or not?
Does that make any sense?

Thats what the pages I'm used to do. I can set either one user at a time or a usergroup as editors.

Is there one?
Quite a few I would say.

I find the current one quite buggy and extremely difficult to work with when changing fonts, colours, etc., especially in the same sentence.
I usually switch to the plain text editor if I'm doing anything other than writing a standard text reply or inserting an image.

Top Bottom