Design issue Wysiwyg editor and \t (tab) bug

Ralle

Hey guys. I just came across a bug in the WYSIWYG editor in XenForo.

1. Copy the text from the file "indentation bug.txt" into first the WYSIWYG editor.
2. Press preview.
3. It shows this:
Screenshot 2017-04-09 16.35.16.png
Which is not expected.

Now, try this:
1. Copy the text from the file "indentation bug.txt" into first the plain text editor.
2. Press preview.
3. It shows this:
Screenshot 2017-04-09 16.35.25.png

Many users on my site share code with each other and are having problems with the rich text editor screwing up indentation in their code.

Attachments

xenfans

Showing tabs and spaces and returns in my editor, I see it shows fine, indents as expected, etc. I can repeat this on my site as well.
I have had this so many times, it's utterly frustrating and makes running a site for code sharing a lot harder.
Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 21.24.46.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 21.26.35.png

Code:
x    3
xx    2
xxx    1

Ralle

I just had a look. Turns out in the file bb_code_edit.js there is a function called pasteCleanUpCallback.
In two places I found the code:
Code:
                    return b.replace(/\t/g, "    ").replace(/  /g, "  ").replace(/  /g, "  ")

b.length ? (c = "<p>" + b.replace(/\r?\n/g, "</p><p>") + "</p>", c = c.replace(/\t/g, "    ").replace(/<p> /g, "<p>&nbsp;").replace(/  /g,
Which naively replaces a tab with 4 spaces without paying attention to the column.

I also found a method called insertCode which has this piece:
Code:
e = e.replace(/&/g, "&amp;").replace(/</g, "&lt;").replace(/>/g, "&gt;").replace(/"/g, "&quot;").replace(/\t/g, "    ").replace(/\n /g, "\n&nbsp;").replace(/  /g, "&nbsp; ").replace(/  /g, " &nbsp;").replace(/\n/g, "</p>\n<p>");
It seems to do the same thing.

I might for kicks write up a patch when I get time.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
There are limitations of the RTE with tab characters, as such we translate them to 4 spaces. This isn't something we expect to change at this time.