Wuala - Secure Cloud Storage

DRE

Wuala is like the swiss bank account of cloud storage. They've been around for years and are based in Switzerland. No servers in the u.s. Your files are encrypted before it's uploaded so that not even their employees can see. This might be good for you if you have documents or whatever that you don't trust to keep in ya email. Free accounts start at 5GB. Use my referral link for an extra gb free.

http://www.wuala.com/

"All files get encrypted and are stored redundantly. No one unauthorized - not even Wuala as the provider - can access the files."

Read more about them at www.wuala.com

Last edited by a moderator:
No mate ive not used that before, I still just use dropbox and owncloud seems to work for me :)
Oh okay I found Wuala and learned about Truecrypt when I was researching how safe Google Drive was.

How safe is my data from hacking? Is it encrypted?
Google Drive encrypts data between your computer and the Google servers. If you're using your Drive over the Web, the connection defaults to secure (HTTPS), and when you use the software that makes your Google Drive appear on your computer like a local hard drive, the data between your computer and Google is likewise encrypted. No casual hacker will be able to grab your files by monitoring or intercepting your Internet connection to Google.

Your data is stored under lock and key at Google itself, but it is not encrypted on the Google servers. A Google rep explained why to me: Encrypting files stored at Google would prevent you from previewing them on the Web, and it would also prevent services like Google Goggles and its OCR engine from accessing files on your behalf. (I presume it would also prevent Google's ad-serving algorithms from scanning your data to serve you more targeted messages -- and this is how Google makes its money.)

A Google Drive user asked me if files could be stored in an encrypted container like aTrueCrypt file. Google's response: "We see no reason why it would not work." However, a geek here at CNET said that accessing a TrueCrypt virtual drive remotely might be very slow.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57420402-93/the-google-drive-faq/

I "think" owncloud has a plugin for something like truecrypt. I remmber seening something similar.

Here's a Cloud services comparison chart by CNET. Wuala is the only one they said is 'for the paranoid'
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...s-not-for-everyone-so-try-these-alternatives/

CNET: Wuala was once an independent cloud storage provider, but it was acquired by the hard drive vendor LaCie, and the product is included with some of the company's drives now. Wuala has a unique proposition, though: Its data is all hosted in Germany, Switzerland, and France, where privacy regulations are stricter; it would be, theoretically, harder for a government to get into your files on this service. There are no Wuala servers in the U.S.

Best for: The paranoid.
Free storage: 5GB; Price per 100GB: $129/year

Here a good Wuala review: http://www.bestbackups.com/blog/2445/wuala-review/

I used to use Google drive, but they have a restriction on the size of file uploaded, I think it's 5gb, so switched to Dropbox, which seems fine.

Can any of these be connected to my XF instance and utilized to store my XF attachments, say via the Attachment Store. Or, am I going to have to go with Amazon's S3 or similar service in order to do this?

Can any of these be connected to my XF instance and utilized to store my XF attachments, say via the Attachment Store. Or, am I going to have to go with Amazon's S3 or similar service in order to do this?

Message from @DRE :

to NOT connect his forum with Wuala in any way whatsoever because there is no password recovery feature for Wuala. Once you forget it, you're done son.

Own server + encryption on either end + a remote backup of the double-encrypted content which is purged every 24 hours.

It's actually cheaper than the paid plans for most of these cloud storage services. You can get basic servers all over europe pretty cheap now (although sadly not in the UK yet).

I like the concept behind Wuala, but its just 'yet another encrypted cloud file host with a free 5gb plan'. There are so many of them these days.

(although sadly not in the UK yet).

I like the concept behind Wuala, but its just 'yet another encrypted cloud file host with a free 5gb plan'. There are so many of them these days.
I doubt "cheap" and "UK" will ever go together, for anything, sadly heh

I agree about it being yet another cloud file host, but this one doesn't come with two step mobile/cell authentication, like Dropbox does
That's something I would look for as a minimum.

Anyone know of a cloud app other than Dropbox that lets you upload your entire iPhone camera roll in one go? BTW I don't use Wuala anymore because I forgot my password and can't remember it. No way to reset it. I had written it down somewhere but accidentally deleted the note that I had written it in.

Top Bottom