Writing before registration: Send email reminders

Alpha1

When a guest posts before registering it would be useful to fetch the email address right away.
Then when the guest does not register or does not complete registration, then send a few email reminder. For example after 1, 3, 7 days. This will draw the guest back to the site to complete registration.

The same could be done through Push Notifications.

Upvote 15
As much as I'd love email validation to be built in, short of integrating with a 3rd party service it would be next to impossible seeing as it requires port 25 to be open on the local server (for the outgoing telnet connection).

Given that external services all require payment, that might be something they would hesitate to add to the core software.

For EU users at least, per GDPR, which I know you love, this would require consent; probably in the form of a checkbox which isn't ticked by default. I'm not sure what user would tick a box to be spammed with reminders to complete registration.

There is no more need for consent than there is with email validation. If the user fills in the email address, then there is implicit consent.

There is no more need for consent than there is with email validation. If the user fills in the email address, then there is implicit consent.
Sending multiple timed emails prompting a user to complete registration is marketing, not transactional. That's totally different to sending a single email to confirm ownership of the email address, immediately after the user has completed a registration form. Very different GDPR bases. The latter does not rely on consent.

Nope. Unless you've got another legal basis than article 6 (1) lit. a for processing their email for marketing purposes, you can't legally do that - you need explicit consent to send them emails except the very first email that confirms the address.

What you could probably do (though I am not a lawyer!) is to send them one further email after a couple of days stating that the unconfirmed account will be deleted in X days if is not confirmed - that could probably be covered by article 6 (1) b GDPR.

Top Bottom