Would these errors cause server to crash?

If you can, I'd love to know where you're shopping, because I'll buy 100 of those servers today.

OVH?:whistle:

Here is what my "low budget can't afford a dedicated server" VPS consists of
2048MB RAM
4 CPU Cores @ 3.3GHz+
75GB SSD-Cached HDD Space (RAID 10)
1Gbps Port
4000GB Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address (+1 FREE)
16 IPv6 Addresses
Weekly Remote Backups

Not bad specs for a "low budget can't do much of anything because it's a VPS" system. And it runs me around $320 a year :p
My "Decent" dedicated consists of
2 128GB 840 Pro SSD (Onboard Dell FakeRaid level 1)
Dual Xeon L5520 processors
24GB RAM
1Gbps Port
30TB Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address
NO remote backup
And it's running me $110 a month (from a decent provider - not a problem child one that cuts your server off in a wide swathe in a purge and you server fits a "type" without confirming that it is that type).
Lets see... that's $320 annually compared to $1320 annually. I think that's a little more than $20 a month more. Now if I want to RAID 10 that system then (since I don't get a volume discount) you can add another roughly $1140 annually and then for remote backup another $180 annually.

Last edited:
Little bit harsh in my opinion.
You are right, I wanted to make a point. Often people "cheap" out on things where they should not.
If the dedicated server you're putting together is only $20/mo. more than a VPS, I can guarantee you the specs are nowhere close to being the same. You'll probably have a single hard drive or two instead of RAID10, a crappy processor, etc.
I agree, but you get my drift. VPS will never compare with a real dedicated server. Plus, you wake-up one day with your site getting hit hard because some thread became popular on Google and your resources will be completely used. Then, few weeks later you are back to normal. IMO, if you are serious with your forums, VPS is a temporary solution.

I pay $90/month for this OVH server. What is the cost for a similar VPS solution?
Honestly, I would rather pay $59/month for a real dedicated server, even if has lower specs. It is mines and I tune it to the bone to perform top notch. For example, 5 small powerless machines will perform better together than a big one. I switched recently a client from a 5webs + 2db to 10 lowend webs and 1 highend db, the site flies with idle at 90% on all machines. His costs are cut in half also, host is GTComm here in Montreal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom